Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Does 24 hour cancel rule apply for next day travel?

Old Jan 30, 14, 4:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM as of 12/8/2016

Have a death in the family that requires me to travel home tomorrow evening.

If I book a paid fare tonight for travel tomorrow afternoon on Delta.dumb, does the 24 hour cancellation rule still apply?

Reason is I may decide to fly out Saturday morning instead (price is the same) but I don't want to commit to friday flight if I decide to change it later tonight or tomorrow morning.

Thanks
Old Jan 30, 14, 4:58 pm

Programs: DL PM, AA PM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Sorry for your loss.

Yes, you will still have the opportunity to cancel your flights penalty-free until midnight of the next day (tomorrow in this case).
Old Jan 30, 14, 5:03 pm

Dony know delta policy but to quote from the DOT:
http://www.dot.gov/sites/dot.dev/fil...al20130530.pdf
"This notice provides guidance to U.S. and foreign air carriers regarding compliance with the customer service rule that requires carriers to hold a reservation at the quoted fare for 24 hours without payment or allow a reservation to be cancelled within 24 hours without penalty (the “24-
hour reservation requirement”). The 24-hour reservation requirement is mandated by the Department of Transportation’s consumer rule “Enhancing Airline Passenger Protections” (14 CFR 259.5(b)(4), 76 Fed. Reg. 23110, 23166, Apr. 25, 2011) and applies to all reservations made seven days or more prior to the flight’s scheduled departure time."
Old Jan 30, 14, 5:35 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Delta Reserve, Amex Plat, Starwood Gold, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold ;)
Delta, and many airlines, offer bereavement fares.
http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...reavement.html

These fares are often changeable and refundable without fees.
Just an FYI.
Old Jan 30, 14, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, MR Gold, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
From the official policy:

Cancellation request must be made by midnight of the day after the eTicket is purchased or midnight of the departure date of the first flight, whichever comes first.
http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...cellation.html
Old Jan 30, 14, 5:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, MR Gold, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
VBForum database error = duplicate post, deleted...
Old Jan 30, 14, 5:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Lenny Lopman View Post
Dony know delta policy but to quote from the DOT:
http://www.dot.gov/sites/dot.dev/fil...al20130530.pdf
"This notice provides guidance to U.S. and foreign air carriers regarding compliance with the customer service rule that requires carriers to hold a reservation at the quoted fare for 24 hours without payment or allow a reservation to be cancelled within 24 hours without penalty (the “24-
hour reservation requirement”). The 24-hour reservation requirement is mandated by the Department of Transportation’s consumer rule “Enhancing Airline Passenger Protections” (14 CFR 259.5(b)(4), 76 Fed. Reg. 23110, 23166, Apr. 25, 2011) and applies to all reservations made seven days or more prior to the flight’s scheduled departure time."
The Internet is your friend. DL, like most carriers, has a more consumer-friendly policy than the DOT rule requires. OP can cancel up until midnight of the day following purchase, even within seven days.

Once you've bought a qualifying eTicket, you have a day to cancel it for any reason and receive a full refund—including any prepaid fees and Direct Ticketing Charges—with no cancellation fee.
See full terms and conditions for additional details.
Old Jan 30, 14, 5:46 pm

Programs: DL Pork Medallion, PP, GE
Also, to go along with the bereavement fares mentioned upthread, you might not even have to cancel and rebook a bereavement fare. I once wanted to buy up to a G fare (parents bought airfare for a family trip, I later found a discounted F fare that was only about $150 more than the coach fare they bought for me), but DeltaAssist and also a phone agent said I couldn't buy up without paying a change fee. Anyway, I continued to ask if there was any way to avoid the change fee, and they said if I was traveling due to a death in the family, I could take advantage of the bereavement rules. If you play the phone agent roulette game, you might be able to find someone who can change it for you without having to cancel and rebook a flight. This may involve HUCA (hang up, call again).
Old Jan 30, 14, 6:07 pm

Just to add a data point -- I once purchased a ticket for next-day travel. I then overslept and missed the flight. I just went on to Delta.com and was able to cancel my ticket online. Then I purchased a new ticket for a couple hours later. It took a couple days for the refund, of course, but it worked.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: