Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

MQDs using Ultimate Rewards or "Bulk Tickets"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2014, 8:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Gold

So I've been following this threat over at United: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...elsewhere.html

Basically it seems that United is not honoring PQDs (same thing as Delta's MQDs) if the ticket was bought through certain agencies. In this case American Express travel agents. I have uncovered additional evidence that Chase Ultimate Rewards tickets may not earn any PQDs either...

Curious if anyone has seen a similar bomb drop at Delta.

If so, this destroys the value of most of the points-earning credit cards and throws yet another huge wrench into the status game...

Thoughts?
Old Jan 27, 2014, 8:30 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
Wow, just wow...
Old Jan 27, 2014, 8:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I suspect that most credit card points redemptions are done by people without status who couldn't care less about PQD's or MQD's. So saying that it destroys the value of these credit cards is a bit of a stretch. Note that if these are truly bulk/consolidator fares, they are also subject to reduced mileage/MQM earning on DL -- http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...ial-fares.html
Old Jan 27, 2014, 8:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
You have misunderstood the entire issue. It has nothing to do with Amex or TA's and has to do with bulk consolidator tickets which expressly do not earn PQD. In the thread you link to, the OP's employer chose to have its corporate TA purchase ultra cheap bulk tickets and those do not earn PQD. The issue is between that OP and his employer.

Or, if you choose to purchase a ticket which expressly does not earn PQD, you can hardly kvetch later that it was wrong that you didn't.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 9:01 pm
Original Poster

Often1 - I'm hoping you're correct. But my secondary piece of evidence is that I received the same "not eligible for PQDs" message on a recent United flight that I purchased with Ultimate Rewards.

I have used Ultimate Rewards (and USBank points) routinely in the past on both United and Delta and always gotten full MQM/PQM credit.

ANyway, I'm still waiting for United's reply and I'll be posting it here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...e-rewards.html
Old Jan 27, 2014, 9:23 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG AMB, National EE

I think it depends. You could extend the same logic out to flights booked via spg flights. In the past when I booked a flight with starpoints it priced out and was booked as a T fare. This was before MQD so I was only concerned about MQM. So if you go through a 3rd party you will have to be aware if it is a published ticket fare class or a consolidator fare class...
Old Jan 27, 2014, 9:32 pm
mdb

Delta World vacation tickets do not earn MQDs......
Old Jan 28, 2014, 1:43 am

Originally Posted by mdb
Delta World vacation tickets do not earn MQDs......
Which I find wonderfully ironic.
Old Feb 2, 2014, 6:59 pm
Original Poster

OKAY - VERY BAD NEWS.

I have confirmed with United that Ultimate Rewards tickets will earn ZERO PQDs.

This is beyond outrageous, but there's nothing I can do. Total waste.

I have no idea what Delta's take on this will be, but so far I have not read anyone's report on wether Delta will honor MQDs on Ultimate Rewards or other credit card points purchases.

I hope someone will post something positive here!
Old Feb 2, 2014, 7:00 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by milohoss
This is beyond outrageous, but there's nothing I can do.
If you don't like it, don't fly United?
Old Feb 2, 2014, 7:06 pm
Original Poster

Gee, what a brilliant response! My post here is about the likelihood that Delta may have exactly the same policy given that they two tend to copy each other. So far I have not seen anyone from Delta confirm that Ultimate Rewards tickets will earn MQDs. That is the point of my post.
Old Feb 2, 2014, 7:08 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by milohoss
Gee, what a brilliant response!
Did you see my updated Programs' Affiliations? I used to be DL Silver, but now I am AS MVP as well. No need for MQDs/PQDs and I get (almost) the same bennies as DL Silver! Yay!!
Old Feb 2, 2014, 7:17 pm
Original Poster

Yes, I'm tempted to switch to AS. IN the meantime, I gotta deal with what I got to deal with and not having straight answers from these jerks is infuriating.
Old Feb 2, 2014, 7:18 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
I'm curious about US Bank points. Not so much MQDs, but, MQMs. If they eliminate MQDs for US Bank points, will they also eliminate MQMs?
Old Feb 2, 2014, 7:20 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by davetravels
I'm curious about US Bank points. Not so much MQDs, but, MQMs. If they eliminate MQDs for US Bank points, will they also eliminate MQMs?
Does it matter?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.