This week's weather waiver!

Old Jan 28, 14, 4:03 pm
  #76  
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: ATL
Programs: DL PM Reserve
Posts: 567
Only took me 150 minutes to make it from my office downtown to my home by Emory this afternoon (normally 20 minute commute). One of the local stations showed the KE A380 being de-iced in ATL today. Pretty cool to see that in ATL.
ATL787 is offline  
Old Jan 28, 14, 4:48 pm
  #77  
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: SAV
Programs: Atlanta's hometown airline. A bunch of hotel programs. PetSmart PetPerks.
Posts: 2,531
Breaking news, a baby has been born on Atlanta's I-285 Perimeter while parents were stuck in traffic. It's a girl!

http://www.ajc.com/news/news/baby-bo...roadway/nc5ff/
PRWeezer is offline  
Old Jan 28, 14, 4:53 pm
  #78  
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: ATL Concourse E Skyclub
Programs: DL PM, IHG, Hilton, Starwood
Posts: 199
Originally Posted by Canarsie View Post
A state of emergency has just been declared by the governor of Georgia.
Native Atlantan here. This is completely ridiculous. It's 3 inches of snow. The Governor should (finally) be held accountable. This stuff has to stop. There is no reason even Atlanta should shut down for this event. Local leadership just plain isn't trying, and voters have given them all a free pass for much too long.
mmichael453 is offline  
Old Jan 28, 14, 5:33 pm
  #79  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Posts: 12,437
Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer View Post
They say at ATl it is the airlines responsibility to provide deicing. That makes no sense why would not this be the airport's responsibility.
How many aircraft can ATL deice simultaneously? Two? Three?

Took twenty minutes to get to the deicing pad today, then it took them 15 minutes to deice a CRJ-700.

That said, I was lucky to be on the last flight to GSO that was not cancelled today.

One of those times that it paid to start early.
StayingHomeIsBetter is offline  
Old Jan 28, 14, 5:36 pm
  #80  
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: SDF
Programs: DL:360/DM/6 MMer; Bonvoy: Lifetime Titanium 10+M pts, 3100+ nights;
Posts: 1,440
Originally Posted by bennos View Post
Amusingly, I originally booked via ATL because I figured in January it would be the hub least likely to get impacted by winter weather
Just the opposite. DTW and MSP are prepared to handle winter weather. Unless you get a storm of the century 48 inches in 24 hours, they will usually handle it with relatively minimal problems. If one snow flake falls in Atlanta, everything shuts down.
DL-Don is offline  
Old Jan 28, 14, 5:37 pm
  #81  
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: SAV
Programs: Atlanta's hometown airline. A bunch of hotel programs. PetSmart PetPerks.
Posts: 2,531
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter View Post
How many aircraft can ATL deice simultaneously? Two? Three?

Took twenty minutes to get to the deicing pad today, then it took them 15 minutes to deice a CRJ-700.

That said, I was lucky to be on the last flight to GSO that was not cancelled today.

One of those times that it paid to start early.
Just for DL - 4 mainline/3 RJs at a time given ideal conditions, which today clearly wasn't, if even enough flights were scheduled today to have that many going to the de-ice pads at one time. I'm told 20 minutes to the pad is pretty good for a day like today.
PRWeezer is offline  
Old Jan 28, 14, 5:49 pm
  #82  
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: RDU
Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Posts: 2,966
Originally Posted by mmichael453 View Post
Native Atlantan here. This is completely ridiculous. It's 3 inches of snow. The Governor should (finally) be held accountable. This stuff has to stop. There is no reason even Atlanta should shut down for this event. Local leadership just plain isn't trying, and voters have given them all a free pass for much too long.
Yeah! Let's impeach the Gov for this weather! Surely he could have stopped it, but instead chose to make the people suffer. Let's march on the Capitol right now! (Well maybe after putting on gloves). How dare our Gov't allow winter in ATL! -end sarcasm

Newsflash: It's winter. Even in the South. Sometimes (rarely) it even snows significantly... You may think that the answer is spending billions on equipment that might get used once every few years, however when you come back from the spirit world, you'll agree that that would be moronic at best.

Suck it up and enjoy the snow day(s). It'll be in the 50s on Friday.
HDQDD is offline  
Old Jan 28, 14, 5:51 pm
  #83  
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: RDU
Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Posts: 2,966
Originally Posted by DL-Don View Post
Just the opposite. DTW and MSP are prepared to handle winter weather. Unless you get a storm of the century 48 inches in 24 hours, they will usually handle it with relatively minimal problems. If one snow flake falls in Atlanta, everything shuts down.
But the chance of ATL being impacted by any significant winter weather is still much lower that the chance of major snow at MSP or DTW. ATL is the smart bet in winter, just not right this minute
HDQDD is offline  
Old Jan 28, 14, 5:55 pm
  #84  
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: SDF
Programs: DL:360/DM/6 MMer; Bonvoy: Lifetime Titanium 10+M pts, 3100+ nights;
Posts: 1,440
Originally Posted by HDQDD View Post
But the chance of ATL being impacted by any significant winter weather is still much lower that the chance of major snow at MSP or DTW. ATL is the smart bet in winter, just not right this minute
This hasn't been my experience. Sadly, the definition of "significant winter weather" in Atlanta is, as I stated, virtually a single snow flake.
DL-Don is offline  
Old Jan 28, 14, 6:08 pm
  #85  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: BOS
Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC
Posts: 13,914
Originally Posted by PRWeezer View Post
Breaking news, a baby has been born on Atlanta's I-285 Perimeter while parents were stuck in traffic. It's a girl!
With how long people are stuck in their cars, its likely that some babies will be conceived today
rylan is online now  
Old Jan 28, 14, 6:14 pm
  #86  
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: SAV
Programs: Atlanta's hometown airline. A bunch of hotel programs. PetSmart PetPerks.
Posts: 2,531
Originally Posted by HDQDD View Post
Yeah! Let's impeach the Gov for this weather! Surely he could have stopped it, but instead chose to make the people suffer. Let's march on the Capitol right now! (Well maybe after putting on gloves). How dare our Gov't allow winter in ATL! -end sarcasm

Newsflash: It's winter. Even in the South. Sometimes (rarely) it even snows significantly... You may think that the answer is spending billions on equipment that might get used once every few years, however when you come back from the spirit world, you'll agree that that would be moronic at best.

Suck it up and enjoy the snow day(s). It'll be in the 50s on Friday.
The prevailing wisdom, at least among my personal peanut gallery, is they should have proactively cancelled schools, encouraged people to work from home, etc. "out of an abundance of caution," as even the forecasters couldn't pinpoint the impact. Instead, the storm hit earlier than expected & everybody rushed to get home all at once, creating gridlock. (cue 1982 snowmageddon)

Atlanta's last big storm in 2011 hit on a Sunday IIRC. Sure, the airport stood still & roads were largely impassible, but for the most part people were warned about the severity of the storm & were at home anyway because it was the weekend.

As for spending tax dollars on prevention...every time I drive to my hometown Savannah I see all those hurricane gates meant to block access to I-16 that were put in place after the last mandatory hurricane evacuation (1999, the storm, as is typical, missed SAV). They have never been used and I wonder if they're even functional at this point. So I agree that an over-correction on equipment isn't needed, but a reconsideration of shutting things down in advance is worth consideration.

Last edited by PRWeezer; Jan 28, 14 at 6:23 pm
PRWeezer is offline  
Old Jan 28, 14, 6:28 pm
  #87  
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Programs: Delta, Hyatt-Plat, Priority Club-Plat, Hilton-Gold
Posts: 1,248
FYI, that construction on the north end of the airport is for additional de-icing pads... great news, but they aren't ready yet.
DiscoPapa is offline  
Old Jan 28, 14, 6:41 pm
  #88  
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: SAV
Programs: Atlanta's hometown airline. A bunch of hotel programs. PetSmart PetPerks.
Posts: 2,531
Originally Posted by DiscoPapa View Post
FYI, that construction on the north end of the airport is for additional de-icing pads... great news, but they aren't ready yet.
Yes, over by the Renaissance Hotel, not expected to be operational this winter season.
PRWeezer is offline  
Old Jan 28, 14, 6:42 pm
  #89  
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: SAV
Programs: Atlanta's hometown airline. A bunch of hotel programs. PetSmart PetPerks.
Posts: 2,531
Originally Posted by rylan View Post
With how long people are stuck in their cars, its likely that some babies will be conceived today
Now if any of those folks were the product of Atlanta Snowmaggedon 1982...there's a story! ^
PRWeezer is offline  
Old Jan 28, 14, 6:56 pm
  #90  
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: ATL
Programs: DL
Posts: 114
Atlanta is a complete mess. My normal 15 minute commute ended up being over an hour (lucky to take all backroads) and many of my coworkers normal 25-30 minute commutes have been taking 2-6 hours. I feel bad for those living in Smyrna/Marietta/Kennesaw as 285 and 75 are a complete mess. Coming from the north, this is a complete embarrassment of a response to winter weather. Even though we have got some snow, this was known yesterday and the fact that the roads were so congested today and schools weren't canceled, people didn't work from home, etc is amazing. I have seen far worse road conditions up in Minnesota and never seen traffic like today. I would recommend anyone in the ATL metro area to stay in. So many bad drivers out there who don't know how to drive in this stuff and not worth spending hours in traffic to go 1-2-3 miles.

As for the airline operation today, almost all the cancelations were done in advance so the schedule was trimmed before the day began and aside from de-icing delays, things ran about as smoothly as one could expect. The airport operation today looked extremely organized and well run compared to the road situation in Atlanta. I wish everyone traveling to/from/through ATL a safe journey!
RMAnalystATL is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread