This week's weather waiver!

Old Jan 27, 2014, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by moxielady
Supposed to fly to SAT tonight connecting in DTW. My flight got cancelled a couple of hours ago due to weather in SAT. Would have arrived around 11:00p.m. and the weather at that time is forecasted to be 37 with zero precipitation. Really Delta?
Plane probably overnights at SAT and they don't want it unable to get out of SAT in the morning - the nasty weather there is predicted to start middle of the night tonight.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Is it my imagination but it seems like DL has been proactive posting these weather waivers lately.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 12:20 pm

Programs: Atlanta's hometown airline. A bunch of hotel programs. PetSmart PetPerks.
They have already started thinning flights. Just one example: a friend's Mom was planning to fly BUF-ATL tomorrow & 2 of 4 flights have been canceled in the last hour, so she's flying in tonight. Not sure if that's related to weather in BUF or ATL, just a data point for consideration for those flying tomorrow.

ETA: Just learned another friend's flight tomorrow, ATL-DFW, has been xld. 2 of 10 ATL-DFW xld thus far, both later in the day.

Last edited by PRWeezer; Jan 27, 2014 at 12:25 pm
Old Jan 27, 2014, 12:29 pm

Programs: AA Plat, FI Silver, DL alumnus
Originally Posted by wrp96
Plane probably overnights at SAT and they don't want it unable to get out of SAT in the morning - the nasty weather there is predicted to start middle of the night tonight.
Yeah, they're looking at a low of 34. The tires could freeze to the apron in those temps
Old Jan 27, 2014, 12:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by jrkmsp
Looks like they added a waiver for the Midwest for today and tomorrow:

http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...r-weather.html

Chicago, IL (ORD OHare)
Cleveland, OH (CLE)
Columbus, OH (CMH)
Detroit, MI (DTW)
Indianapolis, IN (IND)
Madison, WI (MSN)
Milwaukee, WI (MKE)
Minneapolis/St. Paul, MN (MSP)
Peoria, IL (PIA)

It's going to be cold, but no precip expected, at least in Minneapolis. Not sure about the other cities. Pity the traveler this week.
In addition to the cold temperatures, it's very windy at MSP so that the wind chills are brutal.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 12:41 pm

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Ah, wintertime. ATL is currently forecast to get ~1" tomorrow afternoon. Even 1" in ATL can cause significant disruptions to their operation.

Interesting weather system, cold front from the NNW meeting up with moisture from the South (Atlantic and Gulf). This is in contrast to the way weather patterns usually traverse the South from WNW to ESE. It could get interesting depending on timing.

We're forecast to get 2-4" in Raleigh tomorrow. Hard to believe because it's 66 degrees right now...
Old Jan 27, 2014, 12:42 pm

FWIW DL happily co-terminaled my NYC to ATL connection flight. I think they want to keep as many pax away from these locations as they can. Rebooked in Z (was flying A) if that makes any difference.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 12:45 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by CabinCaptive
FWIW DL happily co-terminaled my NYC to ATL connection flight. I think they want to keep as many pax away from these locations as they can. Rebooked in Z (was flying A) if that makes any difference.
Your new flight is marketed as business class, versus FC on your original itinerary. Z and A are both deep discount premium cabin fares. The orders are Z I D C J and G A P F. I'm a bit surprised that your A didn't map into I but it doesn't matter unless you try to SDC.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by CabinCaptive
Do people generally have luck doing co-terminal changes without increases in fares being applied? I'm flying LGA-ATL-XXX and would love to change to JFK-XXX.

Also, is it worth asking about the return as well, or are agents generally not inclined to swap that portion out? Thanks!
My experience is that it doesn't even have to be co-terminals but it takes a little more effort and maybe there are favors for Medallions. Anytime I have changed, they have always let me change the return too.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 1:46 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by mAAine_flyer
Yeah, they're looking at a low of 34. The tires could freeze to the apron in those temps
Does SAT have de-icing equipment? I know TPA does not.

David
Old Jan 27, 2014, 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by wrp96
Ding, ding....we have a winner....lol. That's what I thought.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 2:00 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Thanks to this thread I just rebooked my routing Wednesday from via ATL to via SLC. Gave up confirmed upgrades, but would rather just get home.

Amusingly, I originally booked via ATL because I figured in January it would be the hub least likely to get impacted by winter weather
Old Jan 27, 2014, 2:01 pm

Programs: Atlanta's hometown airline. A bunch of hotel programs. PetSmart PetPerks.
Schedule thinning continues, lots more flights out of ATL are dropping, especially later in the day tomorrow, and not necessarily just to cities in the path of the storm, though obviously those are heavily impacted.

My friend who works the de-ice desk in ATL when needed, coordinating ramp traffic to the de-ice pads, is happy to be on vacation this week . He said they were watching this system as of last Friday, but will keep monitoring/updating forecasts & roll cancellations accordingly. DL has their own meteorology department and they're sometimes more accurate than news outlets.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 2:03 pm

Is there any risk that DL can recall him from his vacation if he's needed for the mess in ATL?
Old Jan 27, 2014, 2:14 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by DiverDave
Does SAT have de-icing equipment? I know TPA does not.
I doubt any of the Florida panhandle airports do.

And we're supposed to get ice storm conditions followed by snow overnight from Tuesday to Wednesday.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.