2014 Compensation Thread

Old Jan 27, 14, 9:41 am
Used to be hamajicky
Original Poster

2014 Compensation Thread

I searched and did not see anything yet, so I figured I'd start one up.

Jan 24 - ATL-TPA. Flight delayed because the aircraft sat outside overnight and the "pipes froze." Mechanics could not defrost the plane so they changed equipment. My wife and I had been sitting together in EC with our baby (his first flight), but the equipment change split us up (we were on different PNRs) and we lost our EC seats (wife is only FO). Total delay ended up being 1.5 hours. Wrote email from the plane (mainly upset about having our seats split up, not the delay) and a few hours later got 5k in pesos each.
Old Jan 27, 14, 1:42 pm

Programs: DL GM, MR Platinum, National EC
Outside of weather issues (not in Delta's control), I have had 3 mx issues this month and a lost baggage issue, which was not handled well by DL. I did not complain once last year, but with all three issues causing 1 hour+ delays each week and how they handled the baggage issues, I decided to submit a complaint (one complaint for all four issues) and received 11,500 miles as compensation.
Old Jan 27, 14, 1:57 pm

Programs: DL PM
had a reading light constantly blinking during an entire redeye flight from LAX to JFK. 7,500 miles compensation
Old Jan 27, 14, 2:32 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Avis First, National EE, Marriott Gold
During the first Polar Vortex I had 2 cancelled flights and eventually was able to leave 2 days later. I was never called or emailed, so when I got my survey a few days later, I just wrote that I would have appreciated being notified proactively. I received 25,000 SkyPesos in my acct a few days later with an email apology.
Old Jan 27, 14, 3:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by taylorc418 View Post
During the first Polar Vortex I had 2 cancelled flights and eventually was able to leave 2 days later. I was never called or emailed, so when I got my survey a few days later, I just wrote that I would have appreciated being notified proactively. I received 25,000 SkyPesos in my acct a few days later with an email apology.
This suggests that someone is reading the surveys that are submitted.

However, IME the apology miles are received automatically a few days after the messed up flight, so it can be hard to identify whether they resulted from the survey or would have happened anyway.
Old Jan 27, 14, 3:20 pm
Used to be hamajicky
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
This suggests that someone is reading the surveys that are submitted.

However, IME the apology miles are received automatically a few days after the messed up flight, so it can be hard to identify whether they resulted from the survey or would have happened anyway.
Yeah, don't the surveys say that if you have a complaint and want followup, to go to the website and submit a formal complaint?
Old Jan 27, 14, 3:39 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres
Wifi kept cutting in and out, complained online and got a email saying a 'wifi pass has been stored in your account' which i havent a clue what that means as i dont see anything on my account....
Old Jan 27, 14, 4:55 pm

Had a ridiculous gate+tarmac delay after boarding (3.5 hours) in a CRJ at JFK due to "missing paperwork". Contacted customer care using the webform and exec email. $200 voucher + 10,000 skypesos.
Old Jan 27, 14, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, MR Gold, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by Chalky White View Post
Yeah, don't the surveys say that if you have a complaint and want followup, to go to the website and submit a formal complaint?
Yes, they do.
Old Jan 27, 14, 5:13 pm

Programs: DL MM, DL DM, Marriott PP
Had a cancelled flight because of MX. Got rebooked on the next day flight. Next morning some moron from customer service cancelled my trip. Ended up losing my UG (btw I was on full Y) and i am pretty sure they had to kick someone else off the plane to get me back in. Got the very last seat on CRJ7. Sent Delta an email about that. Got an apology and nothing else. That has been my pattern lately. No compensation whatsoever. Only apologies.
Old Jan 27, 14, 5:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by MAMOHT View Post
Had a cancelled flight because of MX. Got rebooked on the next day flight. Next morning some moron from customer service cancelled my trip. Ended up losing my UG (btw I was on full Y) and i am pretty sure they had to kick someone else off the plane to get me back in. Got the very last seat on CRJ7. Sent Delta an email about that. Got an apology and nothing else. That has been my pattern lately. No compensation whatsoever. Only apologies.
Was there a delay, no matter how slight, posted for your new flight? If so, you were probably "Vipered" where Viper is DL's automatic IROPs rebooking software that's supposed to take care of HVCs but can get ridiculously overaggressive and nonsensical. It probably wasn't human intervention. [This happened to me earlier this month when my G A P rebooked flight was further rebooked to coach with a horrible connection the next morning when the flight I picked and had already checked in for was delayed by a further ten whole minutes!]
Old Jan 28, 14, 7:34 am

Programs: DM/2MM
Originally Posted by taylorc418 View Post
I had a flight cancelled for weather reasons last Tuesday, did not do a survey, and got an email saying that 25,000 miles was being put into my account.

I may be in the minority, but I don't think DL should have given any miles for this. It's weather, and outside of their control. (And they refunded my ticket appropriately.) DL throwing around miles like this creates more inflation on the miles as currency, which is one of the reasons it's hard to find low availability, why they keep raising levels, etc.
Old Jan 28, 14, 8:07 am

Programs: DL DM, PMNW 1MM, DL 1MM
3 day bag delay during Arctic Vortex. Had to drive 2.5hrs each way to retrieve bag. $200 Credit Voucher, Gas expenses paid plus an International BE upgrade on my flight to ZRH last week. Asked for the upgrade in no uncertain terms. DL Assist along with the GA made it happen :-)
Old Jan 29, 14, 11:12 pm

Flew ATL-LAX on BE config 763ER and my seat wouldn't recline lie flat. I also found a loose screw and brought it to the attention of the FA. DL offered 15k SkyPesos or $100 TCV.
Old Jan 30, 14, 5:19 am

During the early january freeze in NYC, had a 1-day bag delay.
sent in receipts for necessary items purchased and received a full reimbursement much greater than the suggested $50/day written on the form.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: