Drinky Coupons

Old Jan 24, 14, 10:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Platinum, DL DM
Drinky Coupons

Did a little search but am coming up with little to no "definitive" answer as to whether Delta offers drink coupons for medallion members.

If so, at what status do they offer these, how often, and why?

Also, anyway to horde these and use all of them at once on a trip from BOS to SFO and get lit? Wondering, for a friend...
Old Jan 24, 14, 10:15 am

Programs: DL Pork Medallion, PP, GE
Originally Posted by AEHawk52 View Post
Did a little search but am coming up with little to no "definitive" answer as to whether Delta offers drink coupons for medallion members.

If so, at what status do they offer these, how often, and why?

Also, anyway to horde these and use all of them at once on a trip from BOS to SFO and get lit? Wondering, for a friend...
GM and higher received them in their medallion packets, which are good until the end of the calendar year (at least mine were; qualified November 2013, received packet in January 2014, coupons valid until end of Dec 2014).

GM and higher also receive HOOU on a boarding pass printed from a computer, if at least one upgrade-eligible segment was not upgraded before the 24 hour checkin time. However, there isn't really a way to hoard these, as they expire a day or two after the day of travel.
Old Jan 24, 14, 10:27 am

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Platinum 100, National Executive Elite
you start receiving them at GM.

you get them when you have not cleared an upgrade for an upcoming trip when you check in.

and you can "hoarde" them for a couple days, but after that they expire. sometimes when I've got a quick turnaround in a day or two somewhere I'll save them if I didn't use them on the way out and load up on snack boxes on the way home.
Old Jan 24, 14, 10:31 am

Programs: DL PM, Hertz Gold Plus, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by brocklee9000 View Post
GM and higher also receive HOOU on a boarding pass printed from a computer, if at least one upgrade-eligible segment was not upgraded before the 24 hour checkin time. However, there isn't really a way to hoard these, as they expire a day or two after the day of travel.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought you received them if you were not upgraded on ANY of the segments in your itinerary at the time of check-in?
Old Jan 24, 14, 10:48 am

Programs: DL PM,
I tried to refrain from a previous posting, however,....

Originally Posted by eturowski View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought you received them if you were not upgraded on ANY of the segments in your itinerary at the time of check-in?
Last week, I started my travels in GNV on a CRJ, connected in ATL and boarded the 4pmish flight on a 777-200LR to LAX, then onto LAS on a A319. When I printed my 3 flights, I received 3 pieces of paper and each piece of paper had my boarding passes with a "Have One on Us" FREE drink coupon. The coupons had a bar code and each had like a 2 day window to use the coupons.

I asked NICELY on the CRJ flight(Express Jet formerly ASA) and was denied. The FA attendant said they do NOT take them. I thought, maybe an Express Jet issue. As a PM, I was I think 46 out of 53 on the upgrade list, but thought, "Hey, I have 3 drink coupons, I'll get a nice ride to LAX". I sat in Economy Comfort and when I asked NICELY again, the FA stated that they do NOT take them anymore. Politely, I asked why, and she said that she didn't know but they could not take them. So I asked, WHY would Delta put them on my boarding pass page to which there was NO answer. Frankly speaking, it is NOT the end of the world, however, I read these forums and everyone says that YES, they take them or your mileage may vary. My point is WHY is there NOT one policy. To the FA credit, she asked the other FA as well. On the A319 flight, the FA stated no beverage service because the flight was 41 minutes wheels up to wheels down. I am just here to say that the "HOOU" coupons on your boarding passes may NOT always work. Lastly, on the 777-200 flight last October to and from BKK to NRT, I was served one drink but when I asked for 2 with 2 coupons, I was told NO doubles. Just another point of view.....I'm NOT looking for SkyPesos, or $$$......just another point of view.
Old Jan 24, 14, 11:20 am

Programs: Atlanta's hometown airline. A bunch of hotel programs. PetSmart PetPerks.
In the past, Sky Club agents and Red Coats had them for the asking. Haven't had any recent experience to know if that's still true, or if they are only given out in a service recovery situation. Last time I got some from a club agent I asked if he thought the FA would take ones that had recently expired, so he swapped them for a couple of current ones.
Old Jan 24, 14, 11:43 am
LBJ
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM
I don't ever recall getting more than one HOOU coupon regardless of the number of hops. I've also never had an issue with an FA not taking them (although I've never tried to use an expired one. If I don't use them, I just throw them out). I have one I just printed for a trip tomorrow, the validity dates are 1/25 - 1/27.
Old Jan 24, 14, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by KOTAR1988 View Post
Last week, I started my travels in GNV on a CRJ, connected in ATL and boarded the 4pmish flight on a 777-200LR to LAX, then onto LAS on a A319. When I printed my 3 flights, I received 3 pieces of paper and each piece of paper had my boarding passes with a "Have One on Us" FREE drink coupon. The coupons had a bar code and each had like a 2 day window to use the coupons.

I asked NICELY on the CRJ flight(Express Jet formerly ASA) and was denied. The FA attendant said they do NOT take them. I thought, maybe an Express Jet issue. As a PM, I was I think 46 out of 53 on the upgrade list, but thought, "Hey, I have 3 drink coupons, I'll get a nice ride to LAX". I sat in Economy Comfort and when I asked NICELY again, the FA stated that they do NOT take them anymore. Politely, I asked why, and she said that she didn't know but they could not take them. So I asked, WHY would Delta put them on my boarding pass page to which there was NO answer. Frankly speaking, it is NOT the end of the world, however, I read these forums and everyone says that YES, they take them or your mileage may vary. My point is WHY is there NOT one policy. To the FA credit, she asked the other FA as well. On the A319 flight, the FA stated no beverage service because the flight was 41 minutes wheels up to wheels down. I am just here to say that the "HOOU" coupons on your boarding passes may NOT always work. Lastly, on the 777-200 flight last October to and from BKK to NRT, I was served one drink but when I asked for 2 with 2 coupons, I was told NO doubles. Just another point of view.....I'm NOT looking for SkyPesos, or $$$......just another point of view.
I can understand not taking them on the RJ flights with no beverage service and limited catering, but can't figure out why they wouldn't have worked on ATL-LAX assuming you were on DL metal.

I have never had a problem using any HOOU (from medallion packet or OLCI) on a mainline DL-metal flight where beverage service was catered. Heck, I even used one on a BHM-ATL hop a few weeks ago (either M88 or A320, can't remember).
Old Jan 24, 14, 1:05 pm

Yeah, Delta metal

Originally Posted by gooselee View Post
I can understand not taking them on the RJ flights with no beverage service and limited catering, but can't figure out why they wouldn't have worked on ATL-LAX assuming you were on DL metal.

I have never had a problem using any HOOU (from medallion packet or OLCI) on a mainline DL-metal flight where beverage service was catered. Heck, I even used one on a BHM-ATL hop a few weeks ago (either M88 or A320, can't remember).
Yeah, it was their re-positioning flight apparently going to Sydney. I just wanted to "chime" in after reading these threads were it seems that some are saying there aren't any issues with them. I know there was a thread where a FA couldn't scan the bar code....but these weren't accepted. The GNV-->ATL flight was the ending of one itinerary and the ATL---LAX--->LAS was the start of another trip. 3 sheets of paper, 3 separate boarding passes, and 3 HOOU coupons. In fact, I just threw away them when I was cleaning out my laptop bag. I just WISH there is a UNIVERSAL policy on them. FWIW, it was kind of embarrassing.
Old Jan 24, 14, 1:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by eturowski View Post
My experience in the past year was that I did get the HOOU coupon with my printed boarding pass when I had a confirmed upgraded segment connecting to/from a CRJ-200. I used them on the CRJ-200 segment without any problem, although I don't remember which DL Connection carrier this was. I've also used coupons from my packet and the business card sized ones that same GAs and lounge agents distribute when asked.

I hope this isn't some new policy.....
Old Jan 24, 14, 1:12 pm

The FA....

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
My experience in the past year was that I did get the HOOU coupon with my printed boarding pass when I had a confirmed upgraded segment connecting to/from a CRJ-200. I used them on the CRJ-200 segment without any problem, although I don't remember which DL Connection carrier this was. I've also used coupons from my packet and the business card sized ones that same GAs and lounge agents distribute when asked.

I hope this isn't some new policy.....
The FA asked two others that came to ask her how to work the new I-POD(or whatever it is) device to scan your credit card. They reiterated the same thing. As far as DL was concerned, I bought the Corned Beef Sandwich and a Jack&Coke, so they got an extra $7.00 out of me.
Old Jan 24, 14, 1:16 pm

Programs: DL-PM. AA,QF,UA. Every imaginable hotel program, but use Hotwire and Priceline whenever possible!
Complain!
Old Jan 24, 14, 1:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
The FA asked two others that came to ask her how to work the new I-POD(or whatever it is) device to scan your credit card. They reiterated the same thing. As far as DL was concerned, I bought the Corned Beef Sandwich and a Jack&Coke, so they got an extra $7.00 out of me.
This is wrong. Ask for at least a refund.
Old Jan 24, 14, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles

Please write DL with succinct details and let us know what they say.

When you get the first reply it will likely be computer-generated and unresponsive. But if you persist and follow-up, the second reply will likely be from a human, with some chance of cogent content.
Old Jan 24, 14, 1:28 pm

It's not worth it....

Originally Posted by DLFan2 View Post
Complain!
It's not worth it(I have to pick my battles carefully).....I just wish that the policy be universal and that FT'ers understand that its' not all rainbows and unicorns after reading some of the threads here. Secondly, I'm easily intimidated when fellow FT'ers ask other posters if they want "cheese" with their wine.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: