Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Booking flights with 2015 segments?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2014, 7:20 am
Original Poster

Booking flights with 2015 segments?

This is regarding wanting to book a multi-leg-itinerary and with the last leg/segment in January 2015. As Delta won't currently let you book beyond Dec XX, can you book the last leg in Y (fully refundable/changeable coach) and start flying the itinerary and in a month change the last leg (in Y class) with no additional fees? (or would you pay phone fee?)

For Example:

AAA-BBB on Feb 1, 2014
BBB-CCC on July 1, 2014
CCC-DDD on July 7, 2014
DDD-AAA on Dec 19, 2014 (to be moved to Jan XX, 2015).

When you move leg #4, if the Class Y changes in price I presume that you would owe the difference if more and Delta would they refund the difference if less?

Since you already started the trip and not all legs are in Y, would you be able to rebook the last leg in a lower fare class when moving the date to Jan 2015?

Any other words of wisdom?
Old Jan 24, 2014, 8:40 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Usually the most restrictive fare rules for a ticket apply to all segments of the ticket. So if you have one flight in Y and the rest in X generally the X fare rules will be used for your ticket with regards to change fee etc.

So as to avoid a re-fare before departure I would suggest waiting until you have flown you last segment in July and then make the change.

Also keep in mind that the ticket must be used within 1 year of booking. So if you book today you have until 24 Jan 2015 to complete all travel on that ticket.

If this is a domestic flight I wouldn't think this is a very cost effective strategy. I would look at booking the 3 legs for 2014 together and then a 1-way in 2015 when you need it.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 10:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TTT
Usually the most restrictive fare rules for a ticket apply to all segments of the ticket. So if you have one flight in Y and the rest in X generally the X fare rules will be used for your ticket with regards to change fee etc.
Ah!! good to know

Originally Posted by TTT
Also keep in mind that the ticket must be used within 1 year of booking. So if you book today you have until 24 Jan 2015 to complete all travel on that ticket.
Yes, although I appreciate the reminder.

Originally Posted by TTT
If this is a domestic flight I wouldn't think this is a very cost effective strategy. I would look at booking the 3 legs for 2014 together and then a 1-way in 2015 when you need it.
You guessed it, not domestic, there is a method to the madness.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 11:11 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by MyTravels
You guessed it, not domestic, there is a method to the madness.
If that is the case I would book what you need to now and then change once you have just one segment left.

Also - you won't likely see a huge increase in fare in the next couple of weeks. It may be worth waiting until the return portion becomes available to book then you won't need to worry about making the change in the future.

Last edited by TTT; Jan 24, 2014 at 11:17 am
Old Jan 24, 2014, 7:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
OP might need to book it now in order to be eligible to enter some foreign country or even apply for a visa. In many cases, proof of a ticket for onward travel is required, although one could presumably buy a refundable or very cheap ticket to satisfy the requirement.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.