FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Delta - TSA Precheck question (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1542564-delta-tsa-precheck-question.html)

BillyBaloney Jan 17, 2014 9:58 am

Delta - TSA Precheck question

Forgive me, but I'm new to this TSA precheck thing. I got my Known Traveller ID about a month ago...

I printed out some boarding passes for tomorrow and in the upper left hand corner it has:

my confirmation number/ SKY PRIORITY / TSA PRECHK

So does this mean that I can go directly to the TSA precheck lane and I don't have to take off my shoes, belt, etc., etc.??? Any info will be appreciated.

richardinmotion Jan 17, 2014 10:01 am

Yes, you are correct.

willing292 Jan 17, 2014 10:59 am

Once you're at the pre check officer, he will scan your BP and if you get 3 beeps, you're good to go. No beeps, means no pre check.

SuperG1955 Jan 17, 2014 11:20 am

Originally Posted by willing292 (Post 22173001)
Once you're at the pre check officer, he will scan your BP and if you get 3 beeps, you're good to go. No beeps, means no pre check.

One beep is no Pre.

javabytes Jan 17, 2014 11:23 am

I thought not all machines beep three times.

If your BP states PreCheck, you are eligible.

SuperG1955 Jan 17, 2014 11:34 am

TSA has gotten new machines at the Pre stations I've been to lately (MSY & LGA). The new ones definitely beep three times.

mbwmbw Jan 17, 2014 11:47 am

They are giving PreCheck to everyone these days. We need a separate priority line for Diamonds with PreCheck ASAP. Might speed up the process.

EmptyKim Jan 17, 2014 12:31 pm

Yes you're good to go for the PreCheck line

Originally Posted by mbwmbw (Post 22173260)
They are giving PreCheck to everyone these days. We need a separate priority line for Diamonds with PreCheck ASAP. Might speed up the process.

Yes, they need a sky priority lane w/precheck. There have been a couple times where the PreCheck line was filled with first timers...maybe even first time flyers.

madchemiker Jan 17, 2014 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by mbwmbw (Post 22173260)

I highly doubt that, until Ive experienced otherwise. Ive been through 3 TSA PreCheck lanes SFO, MSN, and MCI, and none of them had more than one person ahead of me. I am not valuable enough to Delta to get it comp'ed but I did get Global Entry on my own.

First time through TSA PreCheck was on my way back from Singapore through SFO. Since my boarding passes were printed in SIN, they didnt have the TSA Precheck. I had an hour left to catch my flight after going through customs and the lines at both regular and SP check-in were a mile long. I went to the TSO at the TSA entry and asked about my boarding passes. She informed me that TSA PreCheck needs to be printed on the pass to use the service.

So backing off and feeling completely defeated, because lets face it, after 20 hours in the air, even in BE, you do not feel like taking anything off, opening anything up, or having to explain half opened and leaking bottles of God-knows-what, I took a quick scan of the scenery and saw my salvation. Tucked away behind the check-in counter is a small alcove with a sign indicating the presence of a SC. I took the elevator in that alcove to a very non-descript hallway, almost anticipating being caught by airport security and told to move it.

When I got in the club, I explained to the receptionist my situation, that I was flying on a 4-flight itin, and needed my final boarding pass because kiosks only print 3. Then I explained what I needed for TSA PreCheck, and she informed me that by some strange fluke, the boarding passes printed by agents at the counters in SC will not include TSA PreCheck, but kiosk printed passes will. My heart was racing, until she told me that around the corner in a communications alcove within the club there was a kiosk I could use. I found my itin, printed my boarding passes, went down tot he TSA PreCheck line, got validation from the TSO that I had spoken to earlier, and with exhaustion too great to care if anyone in the regular security line was jealous or even paying attention, I was through.

Leezell Jan 17, 2014 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by javabytes (Post 22173140)
I thought not all machines beep three times.

Some have the volume turned down so low so you can't hear it. I believe LAX was this way for a while last year, or some other airport I was hitting often (not ATL).

Sez_Who Jan 17, 2014 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by Leezell (Post 22174754)
Some have the volume turned down so low so you can't hear it. I believe LAX was this way for a while last year, or some other airport I was hitting often (not ATL).

LAS was like that last year but last week, three beeps.

brocklee9000 Jan 17, 2014 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by Sez_Who (Post 22174895)
LAS was like that last year but last week, three beeps.

I've always heard the three beeps at LAS since getting precheck over the summer.

I think they should at least put the SP line right next to the line for precheck. There have been a time or two where I've gone through the SP line with family (no precheck for them, so I go through SP so they can go through the somewhat-shorter line), had PC on the boarding pass and got the three beeps, but was not given any indication that I could go to the PC line. No sticker, no card, nothing. And the SP and PC lines at places like LAS and MSY (and many others, just thinking of the airports I've been through most recently) have the PC line completely on the opposite side of the security area. When I was at MSY a few weeks ago, I took my family through the regular line (not even SP) because I noticed that the agent at the PC line also was in charge of checking credentials for part of the feed from the regular line, and the line was completely empty. So I rolled the dice, crouched like a cat about to strike, and rushed to his podium as soon as the other passenger cleared, before the non-PC agent could say "Next." The agent said "Oh you get PC today" (duh, I knew that) and let me through, as well as the family members who randomly got PC.

MSPeconomist Jan 17, 2014 5:55 pm

If you're arriving from international and don't have a boarding pass that says PreCheck, you should act like you're arriving at the airport, after dumping any checked bags back into the system after exiting customs, and them look for a kiosk where you can reprint your boarding passes. Sometimes this means ging through the baggage claim area on arrivals level and then going up to the DL (SkyPriority) check in area.

madchemiker Jan 17, 2014 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 22175150)
If you're arriving from international and don't have a boarding pass that says PreCheck, you should act like you're arriving at the airport, after dumping any checked bags back into the system after exiting customs, and them look for a kiosk where you can reprint your boarding passes. Sometimes this means ging through the baggage claim area on arrivals level and then going up to the DL (SkyPriority) check in area.

What he said...^

Also just as a side note, Im happy to see PreCheck in more and more airports, because its making my participation in Global Entry far more worthwhile. I no longer have to submit to pat downs from either MSN or MKE (never aquiesced to a body scan here, ANYWHERE).

WyomingBound Jan 23, 2014 8:54 pm

Does anyone with Pre-Check/Global Entry have their suffix listed on their name? I am a III and my SM profile doesn't seem to format it correctly but I felt it was important to have it there because it matches my TSA Pre-Check info. Any advice would be appreciated.