Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FC on CRJ 900

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2014, 8:51 am
Original Poster

FC on CRJ 900

One of our options to get from SEA to ONT is Delta first class, with a 737-900ER to SLC, and a CRJ-900 from there. $210. Both planes have first class seating, but how much of a difference (positively or negatively) is there in FC between the CRJ and, say, the 737? We'd likely sit together, on the right hand side of the plane.

Alternative is to take Southwest, for $134 (plus $13 Early Bird fee), going through SJC. Not first class, of course, but on 737s both flights. A bit shorter travel time on Southwest due to shorter connection time (1 hr. vs. 2 hrs.), though we could apparently get into the Delta Sky Club at SLC with an Am Ex Platinum Card.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
the real significant difference is that the overhead bins in the CR9 are somewhat smaller than those on mainline jets, and are ONLY installed on the right side of the cabin

you will also generally have to gate-check a standard size rollaboard bag and reclaim it planeside at ONT

personally, I'd pay the extra $50-60 to fly DL F over WN any day

as to SkyClub access, see this thread for the latest
Old Jan 16, 2014, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Well the 737-900s are new and shiny and in seat video if you're interested. Just avoid row 1 if you want any legroom, and row 5 if you want to recline.

The RJ-900 is a very nice plane up front. More legroom/pitch than the 737 in F actually and seats are comfy.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 9:42 am

Programs: AA EXP BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AS 100K, QR PLT, SAS Gold, IHG Spire, AMR
I just flew the CRJ 900 from JFK to SAT... it is a 4.5 hour flight in a regional jet. This was a very new one with WIFI.
I will never do it again.
We had an hour delay on the ground while the captain had to figure out if the plane could fly that far with the load he had (65 pax only). That did not instill confidence in us at all.
It is very uncomfortable for a long flight. I would avoid the CRJ900 on any flight over 2 hours.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 9:57 am

Originally Posted by Deltahater
It is very uncomfortable for a long flight. I would avoid the CRJ900 on any flight over 2 hours.
In FC ? Really ?
Old Jan 16, 2014, 10:00 am

Programs: DL, UA
On the contrary to Deltahater's username fitting review, I personally find the CR9s to be incredibly comfortable in F. I recently flew ORD-SLC on one and at 6'5" I was very comfortable and my standard size roll-aboard fit perfectly in the overhead. I'm about to fly SLC-ORD now on a CR9 and am quite looking forward to it. These are as comfortable as many of the mainline aircraft are in F, they just lack some of the amenities of the mainline aircraft such as in-seat entertainment or power (well, apparently the newer ones have power in F but I have yet to run across one).

And as an aside to Deltahater, SLC-ONT is less than 2 hours.

If the option is DL F versus WN, for that price differential I personally think it's a no-brainer.

ETA: I believe all the CR9s have wifi now as well as at the CR7s, but I could be mistaken on that.

Last edited by WidgetKid; Jan 16, 2014 at 10:09 am Reason: ETA
Old Jan 16, 2014, 10:11 am
Original Poster

In our case, we'd be in the 737 for 1 hr. 50 mins., and the CRJ for 1 hr. 43 mins. On WN, we'd be in the air for 1 hr. 10 mins. to SJC and then 1 hr. 5 mins. to ONT.

If we go with Delta, we'll be prepared for have hand-luggage stowed in the baggage compartment. Total FC checked bag allowance is 3 bags up to 70 lbs. each.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 10:15 am

Programs: DL PM, Hertz Gold Plus, SPG Gold
I really like FC in CR9s. The single-seat side is damn near perfect, and I usually bring knitting and my Nexus tablet, so entertainment isn't an issue.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 10:31 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by Deltahater
Wow...different folks, different strokes. I LOVE F in the CRJ900 or the EMB175. I think that 1A on each plane is the BEST domestic standard F class seat in the entire DL fleet.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 10:33 am

Programs: DL PM, Hertz Gold Plus, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by bubbashow
Wow...different folks, different strokes. I LOVE F in the CRJ900 or the EMB175. I think that 1A on each plane is the BEST domestic standard F class seat in the entire DL fleet.
Looks like we agree on something!
Old Jan 16, 2014, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by eturowski
Looks like we agree on something!
Old Jan 16, 2014, 10:47 am

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
Like F on the CR9 and E175. IFE would of course be nicer, but I have no complaints about the F experience.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 10:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jrkmsp
Like F on the CR9 and E175. IFE would of course be nicer, but I have no complaints about the F experience.
No IFE. Drat. Too bad I threw out the old Kodak Carousel slide projector my father gave me. I could show old vacation slides on the flight. I thank everyone for their input. I was beginning to lean towards the WN flight, when prices went down $13 overnight, but now reconsidering DL.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 11:04 am

Originally Posted by SoCal
No IFE. Drat. Too bad I threw out the old Kodak Carousel slide projector my father gave me. I could show old vacation slides on the flight. I thank everyone for their input. I was beginning to lean towards the WN flight, when prices went down $13 overnight, but now reconsidering DL.
There is really no comparison between F on DL and Y on WN. You are comparing apples and oranges (or snack basket and peanuts). For $80 difference, I think most on here would agree with me (and I NEVER get to type that ) that it is a no-brainer.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 11:07 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG AMB, National EE
I don't mind the CR9s, but I would definitely go with the 737-900, simply for AVOD. That said, if I needed WiFi I might opt for the CR9 b/c the last I flew the 900ER, they had yet to install WiFi.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.