Delta describes SLC expansion plans.

Old Jan 15, 2014, 7:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold
Delta describes SLC expansion plans.

Slight expansion plans by Delta at SLC. But, hey, at least it is an expansion.

http://www.ksl.com/?sid=28372944&nid...&s_cid=queue-3
Old Jan 15, 2014, 7:41 pm

What I found most interesting was the statement that SLC will be served exclusively with two-class aircraft by 2017.

I knew the number of CRJ-200s and props was being slashed, but I didn't realize they would be leaving SLC entirely!
Old Jan 15, 2014, 7:44 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL-Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
Originally Posted by PhillyInvestor
What I found most interesting was the statement that SLC will be served exclusively with two-class aircraft by 2017.

I knew the number of CRJ-200s and props was being slashed, but I didn't realize they would be leaving SLC entirely!
No more CRJ-200s is indeed an upgrade.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 7:46 pm

Programs: None that I am proud of anymore
Show me the "BLUEPRINTS" what are the plans - only thing I noted in a quick
glance was something about the Rental Cars.
Are they moving the rental cars to an island in the middle of the Great Salt Lake ?
So far it is an imaginary "Wish List" !

"SHOW ME THE PLANS" - show me what they hope to accomplish !
Or is this a smoke and mirrors shell movement to get your attention ?
Old Jan 15, 2014, 7:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by DLERT
Show me the "BLUEPRINTS" what are the plans - only thing I noted in a quick
glance was something about the Rental Cars.
Are they moving the rental cars to an island in the middle of the Great Salt Lake ?
So far it is an imaginary "Wish List" !

"SHOW ME THE PLANS" - show me what they hope to accomplish !
Or is this a smoke and mirrors shell movement to get your attention ?
Two different subjects -- Delta expansion vs SLC airport rebuild. But, it takes all of about 5 seconds with Google to find the published "BLUEPRINTS" for the new SLC airport online.

http://www.slcairport.com/plans.asp
Old Jan 15, 2014, 8:10 pm

Programs: DL Pork Medallion, PP, GE
Originally Posted by utahsnow
Two different subjects -- Delta expansion vs SLC airport rebuild. But, it takes all of about 5 seconds with Google to find the published "BLUEPRINTS" for the new SLC airport online.

http://www.slcairport.com/plans.asp
Yep. A buddy texted me pictures of the concept art for the new terminals, both interior and aerial depictions, so they must be out there SOMEWHERE. It looked like a real, fancy airport.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 8:13 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
If SLC is going to be all two-class, I sincerely hope that means we won't see CR2s on MSP-CVG any more. That's a lousy flight between two "hubs."
Old Jan 15, 2014, 8:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Air Houston
True, unless it also means the elimination of a lot of the small local cities that DL supports out of SLC.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 8:17 pm

Originally Posted by rylan
True, unless it also means the elimination of a lot of the small local cities that DL supports out of SLC.
But I see CR2s all the time on FlightAware coming in from not-so-small cities like DEN and SFO. I don't see this announcement as a surprise; hasn't SkyWest already committed to divest all their CR2s once they get more 700s 900s and 1000s? And as was pointed out to me last month, it looks like the EMBs have been on the executioner's list for a while as well.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 8:22 pm

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by rylan
Yeah, seriously. Can Idaho Falls seriously support a two-class airplane? (Not that I'd complain when I'm connecting there to ski!)
Old Jan 15, 2014, 8:39 pm

Programs: DL FO, KM, & 1.7MM; UA nothing; HH♦; National EE
This was announced a long time ago, and I've been paying every week for a couple of years for this new terminal plan in my airport parking fees. They need to start putting some of this into action soon...
Old Jan 15, 2014, 8:56 pm

Originally Posted by Howste
This was announced a long time ago, and I've been paying every week for a couple of years for this new terminal plan in my airport parking fees. They need to start putting some of this into action soon...
Especially since the projected completion date is, what, a full DECADE away? I was there last week, and still haven't seen anything. If the SLC expansion is anything like the I-15 construction...well, I'm only been alive 23 years, but I swear the same sections of I-15 have been under construction every time I pass them.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 9:10 pm

Last summer SLC peaked at: 276 daily departures, of which 22 were on EMB and 65 on CRJ. 103 total mainline.

This summer (per current schedule, which will undoubtedly change) SLC will peak at: 278 daily departures, of which 19 are on EMB and 57 on CRJ. 108 total mainline.

Notable changes: OAK was 3xCR7, now 3x320, SUN was 7xEMB, now 3xCR7; new service to CNY & VEL (2xEMB each).

EMB markets: EKO, GCC, PIH, RKS, TWF, WYS, CNY, VEL
CRJ-only markets: BUR, BTM, CPR, CDC, COD, COS, FAT, GJT, GTF, IDA (+1 CR7), LWS, MFR, MSO (+1 CR7), PSP, RAP, SGU, TUS

--------------------------

SLC peaked in the late 2000s. For example, in 2009, DL operated 355 daily departures, of which 100 were on mainline, 34 EMB and 137 CRJ.

In 2009, DL peaked at approximately 31,500 daily seats; in 2014, that number will be 27,500 -- about a 13% decrease. (I believe SLC was larger in the 2007-2008 time frame, but do not have those numbers off hand.).

Thus, while DL's growing at SLC, it will will not match its peak of the late 2000s.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 10:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Yup, they will be gone by 2017. No more CRJ-200 & EMB-120.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 11:02 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
I just have a hard time believing that places are currently EMB only service can handle a CRJ-700 or larger.

But, I'm looking forward to the day when the current E terminal becomes rubble.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.