FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Anyone else get a Delta SOFT Landing for 2014? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1541650-anyone-else-get-delta-soft-landing-2014-a.html)

Renes Points Jan 14, 2014 7:58 pm

Anyone else get a Delta SOFT Landing for 2014?

Point Me to the Plane is reporting a Delta soft landing. I have never, since rollover, been told of anyone getting a soft landing.

http://boardingarea.com/pointmetothe...for-2014-2015/

Anyone else get this for 2014?

madchemiker Jan 14, 2014 8:09 pm

I didnt, but I know someone who was given silver back in Dec when she was <2000 miles from it.

elkapong Jan 14, 2014 8:10 pm

Interesting. I didn't think DL was going to do these anymore?

Renes Points Jan 14, 2014 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by elkapong (Post 22156249)
Interesting. I didn't think DL was going to do these anymore?

I would have sworn this was the case. Thus love to know if a one-off or others but it seems from the above maybe not a one-off. Txs!

BamaGirl Jan 14, 2014 8:39 pm

He/she's a blogger-I'd say that caused the reason for the exception.

MikeMpls Jan 14, 2014 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by Delta Points (Post 22156182)
Point Me to the Plane is reporting a Delta soft landing. I have never, since rollover, been told of anyone getting a soft landing.

http://boardingarea.com/pointmetothe...for-2014-2015/

Anyone else get this for 2014?

Do a search here for "soft landing" -- there have been plenty of them, including my wife & myself, though not in 2014 (there is no soft landing from base status :D ).

madchemiker Jan 14, 2014 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by BamaGirl (Post 22156433)

My coworker that got SM/FO isnt.

StayingHomeIsBetter Jan 14, 2014 8:53 pm

After this publicity, I wonder what his account summary will show tomorrow. :D

Beckles Jan 14, 2014 9:05 pm

The blog makes a good point about rollover, by granting them the higher status, they may wipe out the 23k in rollover they would have otherwise had ...

madchemiker Jan 14, 2014 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by Beckles (Post 22156576)
The blog makes a good point about rollover, by granting them the higher status, they may wipe out the 23k in rollover they would have otherwise had ...

But that wouldnt apply to an NB (woo-hoo, Ive coined a new acronym, for NoBody-FF member with no status) who got silver/FO. Although with this new MQD requirement, the rollover is going to mean less and less because you either have enough pocket cash to buy J/F-class or are having someone else pay for it. I bought a fully V-fare from MKE to SIN for just under $1200, but those 22k miles dont do me crap when I still have to make up the other $1300 just to get silver... I really think the MQD requirement is going to thin the ranks, because mileage runs are just going to be a niche market (business people on paid J-class who need miles to top off their MQMs).

Renes Points Jan 14, 2014 10:08 pm

Really don't think that is the case but will be following up tomorrow as if DL is doing this for many it is, IMO humbly, a HUGE change for DL. I have in the past had readers stop just 100 points short to be able to rollover as much as they could and would be most upset if they were "soft landed".

Also keep in mind with MQDs you could, with just $2500 MQD spend and no CC exemption rollover a TON of MQMs from this point forward!

emrdoc Jan 14, 2014 10:10 pm

+1

madchemiker Jan 14, 2014 10:21 pm

Originally Posted by Delta Points (Post 22156842)
Really don't think that is the case but will be following up tomorrow as if DL is doing this for many it is, IMO humbly, a HUGE change for DL. I have in the past had readers stop just 100 points short to be able to rollover as much as they could and would be most upset if they were "soft landed".

Also keep in mind with MQDs you could, with just $2500 MQD spend and no CC exemption rollover a TON of MQMs from this point forward!

Again, it begs the question, how valuable are MQMs really when you need the MQDs for status?

Frogbone Jan 15, 2014 4:53 am

That's complete BS. If you didn't make the next level then you don't earn the next level.
WGFE ..Want Gold Fly Enough, WPFEM .. Want Platinum Fly Even More

Giving away status to people that according to the requirements did NOT make the level is absolutely a slap in the face to the people who really earned their status level.
Upgrades are already scarce and artificially increasing teh competition for those seats isn't right.

Flame away....

GUWonder Jan 15, 2014 5:40 am

Originally Posted by Delta Points (Post 22156842)

Rollover MQMs are on the path of the dodo. I expect DL will pursue a plan to make them extinct within a couple of years, maybe even well before that.