Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Backpack in overhead or under the seat...opinions?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2014, 1:01 pm
Original Poster

Flight attendants lately seem to be more & more forceful when encouraging passengers to place anything that will fit in the seat in front of them there instead of in the bins. I typically travel with a backpack that will barely fit under the seat in most planes if I really cram it. Of course then I have nowhere to put my feet. I'm 6"1 so this can be quite uncomfortable even in an EC seat. I'm GM so I board in the sky zone and typically have no problem finding overhead space for my backpack. Just out of curiosity, how do the folks on this forum feel about this? I would guess some of you are in the same position. Do you feel at all guilty about using the oh-so-precious overhead space or do you feel you've earned the right to use that space?

Personally, I believe that I spend lot of money with Delta each year and I've earned GM (solely through personal travel I might add) and thus I've paid for the right to board early and use what space is available to me. Furthermore, if Delta wanted to make that space available to everyone they wouldn't charge for checked bags and would enforce the carry-on size rules. Just my opinion though. What do you all think?
Old Jan 13, 2014, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
I carry on my relatively small Jansport backpack and small purse. Backpack goes in the OH bin.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 1:05 pm
havnfn

Programs: Delta-DM; Hilton-Diamond; Hyatt-Diamond
First-come, first-served

That said, I almost always put my laptop backpack under the seat in front of me. The only exception is when I know I'll have one of those aisle seats where the space on the floor is limited (width-wise) by the seat supports. That's the only time I put both carry-ons in the overhead.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 1:11 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
I believe in each passenger getting one "space" in the overhead bins. If I check my suitcase I put my backpack overhead. It's much smaller than a roll-aboard and usually has my laptop, some toiletries, and a simple change of clothes or at least underwear in case I get stranded. I've never had any issues with it. I also try to fill in the gaps when placing it in the bins.

More often I choose to carry on to save time at my destination. In this case the roll-aboard goes in the bin with the backpack at my feet unless I'm in the bulkhead seats.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 1:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
1. If DL wants to require bags which fit under the seat to go under the seat, it is well within the discretion for crew to require it and to either require it to be placed under the seat or off-loaded and checked.

2. You are 100% correct that the need to even remotely worry about this as well as when you board is largely a problem created by DL's failure to enforce its own carry-on policy. If FAA did its job and properly enforced against DL for failure to implement DL's own policy, your issue would either disappear or largely go away.

3. But, two wrongs don't make a right. So, yes, it's tough on taller people who fly steerage to be forced to place a carry-on under the seat in front of them and yes, it's easily avoidable, but DL's fail doesn't somehow give you a right.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 1:15 pm

Programs: DL EOS...
I use eBags backpack weekender carry-on which is about the same size as roller carry-ons so not going under the seat. Never been instructed to not stow in overhead but it's obviously fairly large.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 1:17 pm
Original Member

Programs: Lifetime Platinum Marriott
My opinion is, assuming that is you only carry-on that you are providing a service to other passengers by allowing them at least some extra room in the overhead.
Part of Delta's marketing for getting status is a chance to board early and find space for you carry-on.
If it fits in the sizer, it should go in the overhead.
No guilty feeling required.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 1:19 pm
us2
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL
I have a rather large backpack that I sometimes travel with. I've found that it can be pulled out from underneath the seat in front such that it makes for a nice footrest that allows me to stretch out pretty comfortably. Similarly, on the CRJs, my computer bag fits pretty snugly under the seat in front of me, but I pull it out after takeoff such that my legs go over it. The rule is under the seat during takeoff and landing. There's no issue with having the bag out from under the seat while in flight and that's typically what I do.

If you can't make that work, then I'd say go ahead and use the overhead. Bear in mind as well that the bins tend to fill up faster in the winter months when people cram coats and superfluous clothing up there; there's a reason they're encouraging people to use the floor space.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 1:44 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott/Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by pwhatl
Flight attendants lately seem to be more & more forceful when encouraging passengers to place anything that will fit in the seat in front of them there instead of in the bins. I typically travel with a backpack that will barely fit under the seat in most planes if I really cram it. Of course then I have nowhere to put my feet. I'm 6"1 so this can be quite uncomfortable even in an EC seat. I'm GM so I board in the sky zone and typically have no problem finding overhead space for my backpack. Just out of curiosity, how do the folks on this forum feel about this? I would guess some of you are in the same position. Do you feel at all guilty about using the oh-so-precious overhead space or do you feel you've earned the right to use that space?

Personally, I believe that I spend lot of money with Delta each year and I've earned GM (solely through personal travel I might add) and thus I've paid for the right to board early and use what space is available to me. Furthermore, if Delta wanted to make that space available to everyone they wouldn't charge for checked bags and would enforce the carry-on size rules. Just my opinion though. What do you all think?
How many bags are you carrying on? If you are carrying two then the smaller needs to go under your seat. If you only have one then put it up top.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 1:49 pm

Programs: DL, UA
I'm 6'5" so I understand completely the situation you're in. That being said, my backpack ALWAYS goes under the seat in front of me if I have 2 bags and one is already in the overhead. I only make 2 exceptions to this rule. 1) Once everybody has boarded and if there is still space in the overhead above my seat, then I will put my backpack up. 2) If I'm flying in BE and there isn't any under-seat storage big enough for my backpack (i.e. 777 or 757), then I will put it in the overhead simply because I know that there will be enough space for everybody's stuff. Other than those two exceptions though, I am of a similar opinion to the previous poster who said that everybody gets one spot in the overhead.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 1:50 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
I stopped carrying a briefcase or one of those wheel-on laptop and document bags and have gone with a backpack for my laptop, electronics, files, etc. It definitely goes in the overhead. I generally check my suitcase so that I can get by with only one carry-on item.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 1:53 pm

Programs: DL DM, DL SkyClub, DL AmEx Plat, SPG +, Hilton Silver, Hertz, Thrifty BlueChip, NEXUS/GE
I have a B&R rolling computer bag and a small backpack. Both of these together take up less room in the OH bin than my 21" roll aboard and I can fit both of them in in one "row" if you will, taking up no more room than the roll aboard. Ive never had a problem at all. I can even shove a jacket or blanket on top of the computer bag if need be.

As far as I'm concerned, if they really want to enforce what bags are in OH and what are under seats, it begins with which bags make it on the plane. Both of mine will fit in the sidewise checker, so I have zero guilt as I am following the rules.

ETA: If the policy changes and it is only 1 item in OH, I will switch and always use my larger roll aboard and therefore take up more room than I am currently doing. I'm 6'3" if that actually matters.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 2:00 pm

No guilt whatsoever! Under seat area is for my feet unless I decide to carry on a 2nd small bag.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 4:34 pm

Programs: DL reject, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Jelly of the Month, formerly NWA Plat (RIP)
I travel with one carry-on, backpack size, that can fit under the seat if it has to. But I put it in the overhead whenever possible so there is room for my feet. Especially if I am relegated to non-EC coach seating. It is cramped enough without having no place to put my feet.

If DL just enforced their already published carry-on restrictions, I believe overhead space would not be an issue.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 4:57 pm

Programs: DL PM
With 2 bags, it for sure goes under the seat.

With one bag it goes under the seat if I'm in an exit row or EC. But if I'm in a regular seat it goes in the overhead. If they start trying to force bags under the seat then I'll be forced to bring a bag that doesn't fit under the seat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.