Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Earn miles on Delta when flying Virgin Australia?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2014, 1:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres

Hello,

I'm going to be traveling to Australia soon and will likely be flying Virgin Australia at some point. I see they have code shares with other airlines (e.g., Delta). Does this mean I can earn miles on Delta when flying VA in Australia? If not, can I earn Virgin America points? Or am I limited to Velocity points?

Here is the link - https://www.velocityfrequentflyer.co...ndex.htm#delta

I just can't figure it out!!

Also - any perk for joining Velocity? (i.e., can I earn some bonus points for joining?)

Thanks!
Old Jan 11, 2014, 8:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

VA is a Group One partner with DL. You can MQM and MQD as below:

http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...australia.html

Codeshares are irrelevant. You can earn miles on DL or VA coded flights.
Old Jan 11, 2014, 9:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by TerryK

Ah great, thank you! That's the sort of link I was looking for. So I can earn Delta miles when flying Virgin Australia (although it appears only at 50% if I book economy). Still - better than having a few VA miles I'll never be able to use.
Old Jan 11, 2014, 11:28 pm

Programs: |QF Platinum|DL Platinum|HH Gold|ALL Silver|
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
Ah great, thank you! That's the sort of link I was looking for. So I can earn Delta miles when flying Virgin Australia (although it appears only at 50% if I book economy). Still - better than having a few VA miles I'll never be able to use.
That's for flights taken before 1 September 2013. For flights after that i.e. yours, if you scroll down you see the rates applicable after, which are 100% in all eligible economy fare classes.
Old Jan 12, 2014, 12:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Supersonic Swinger
That's for flights taken before 1 September 2013. For flights after that i.e. yours, if you scroll down you see the rates applicable after, which are 100% in all eligible economy fare classes.
Ahhh, well that's wonderful news! Might actually get some decent miles then
Old Feb 8, 2014, 7:31 am

Originally Posted by TerryK

Found this thread when I searched VA and MQD's. The chart linked above doesn't indicate MQD's earned in the various classes.
I just flew VA in a T domestic class and business on VA but I don't see any MQD's credited for the flights yet, only MQM's.
Not sure if this is done later on or should they show up immediately?
Old Feb 8, 2014, 9:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mecasa
Found this thread when I searched VA and MQD's. The chart linked above doesn't indicate MQD's earned in the various classes.
I just flew VA in a T domestic class and business on VA but I don't see any MQD's credited for the flights yet, only MQM's.
I only received MQMs and MQSs for my recent flight. No MQDs.
Old Feb 8, 2014, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Mecasa
Were those flights ticketed by Delta?
Old Feb 8, 2014, 10:08 am

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
+1. Here is an excerpt from DL, "Any time you purchase and fly on a Delta flight (flight number with a “DL” airline code), you’ll receive MQDs for the ticket’s base fare and carrier-imposed surcharges, but not for taxes or fees. You’ll also earn MQDs for Economy Comfort™ and Preferred Seating purchases ticketed through Delta. Flight spend on Group 1, Group 2 and Group 3 partner airlines that are ticketed through a Delta channel (the ticket number will begin with “006”) count toward MQDs as well, but certain specialty tickets (such as unpublished or group fares) do not."
Old Feb 8, 2014, 4:48 pm
Original Poster

No, VA.
Old Feb 9, 2014, 7:09 am

The ticket # started with 006.
Old Feb 9, 2014, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
006 indicates a Delta ticket. You posted 'just flew.' If it was an earning fare class and more than two weeks have passed (and there is any chance you'll need those MQDs) it is worth a follow-up with Delta.
Old Sep 5, 2016, 4:21 pm

Programs: Delta Plat Kool-Aid Drinker, Hyatt Diamond, SPG GM, Marriott GM, Hilton GM, and Priority Club GM
Sorry, I'm clueless on this one. Booked my flight and Paid for it on Virgin Australia and wondering what I need to do to get the MQM's credit to my Delta Account.
Old Sep 5, 2016, 4:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPDeltaDude
Sorry, I'm clueless on this one. Booked my flight and Paid for it on Virgin Australia and wondering what I need to do to get the MQM's credit to my Delta Account.
Have you put your DL ff number in the reservation?
And keep the boarding pass until it credits.
Old Sep 5, 2016, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by MSPDeltaDude
You just give them your DL FF# it's all that's needed. All VA/DL coded flights operated by VA qualify.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.