Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

delta cutting access to many of the international lounges

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 13, 2014, 6:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mnbp
As of May 1, 2014, Delta no longer provides status-based access to third party lounges (lounges operated neither by Delta nor by a SkyTeam partner) for passengers departing on a Delta-operated flight. Based on reports in this thread, this does not apply to passengers departing the airport they're in on a flight operated by a SkyTeam partner: all other SkyTeam partners continue to provide status-based access to third-party lounges to all SkyTeam Elite Plus members, including Delta elites. Access to third-party lounges is determined by the policy of the operating carrier of the flight departing the airport.

Nothing has changed for passengers flying in business or first class on Delta.

From the link provided in the OP:

SkyTeam Benefits

LOUNGE ACCESS
Effective May 1, 2014, all Delta third-party operated international lounges will become Business lounges. (6)
  • On or after May 1, 2014, Delta SkyTeam Elite Plus passengers flying in the economy cabin will only have access to DL Sky Clubs and SkyTeam Lounges.
  • Passengers must be traveling in Business Class to have access to Third Party Lounges.

Third party-operated Lounges:

Latin America & the Caribbean:

Bogota, CO (BOG)
Caracas, VE (CCS)
Lima, PE (LIM)
Quito, EC (UIO)

Europe/Africa/Middle East:
Accra, GH (ACC)
Arlanda, SE (ARN)
Athens, GR (ATH)
Barcelona, ES (BCN)
Brussels, BE (BRU)
Copenhagen, DK (CPH)
Dakar, SN (DKR)
Dubaij, AE (DXB)
Dublin, IE (DUB)
Dusseldorf, DE (DUS)
Frankfurt, DE (FRA)
Lagos, NG (LOS)
Madrid, ES (MAD)
Malaga, ES (AGP)
Malpensa, IT (MXP)
Manchester, GB (MAN)
Moscow, RU (SVO)
Mumbai, IN (BOM)
Munich, DE (MUC)
Nice, FR (NCE)
Pisa, IT (PSA)
Roberts, LR (ROB)
Shannon, IE (SNN)
Tel Aviv, IL (TLV)
Zurich, CH (ZRH)

Asia Pacific:
Bangkok, TH (BKK)
Beijing, CN (PEK)
Fukuoka, JP (FUK)
Guam, GU (GUM)
Hong Kong, HK (HKG) access to VS (partner) lounge. This lounge IS available to STE+, despite VS not being a SkyTeam partner.
Nagoya, JP (NGO)
Osaka, JP (KIX)
Saipan, MP (SPN)
Shanghai, CN (PVG)
Singapore, SG (SIN)
Sydney, AU (SYD) (no longer relevant after opening of SkyTeam lounge in Dec 2014)
Tokyo (Haneda), JP (HND) DL promotion provides access to two TIAT lounges at HND through Oct 31, 2017. Promotion includes any SkyClub member traveling on any airline same-day flight, and all GM, PM and DM members traveling on any DL flight. Extension of Haneda Lounge Access Promotion
Print Wikipost

delta cutting access to many of the international lounges

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2017, 1:15 am

Programs: TK Elite Plus, QR Platinum, KL Gold
Originally Posted by flyerCO
No most check-in agents give you the invite. Never not gotten one at MNL when checking in with KLM.
And you were flying KLM economy class at those times?
Old May 17, 2017, 3:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by L4ibsch
And you were flying KLM economy class at those times?
Yes. Was only in Y.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 11:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Was provided access to third party lounge at NCE today despite being in coach on DL NCE-JFK flight. Was not given a pass or anything, the agent just mentioned it and wrote the name on the back of my BP (Levity). Handed my BP to lounge attendant and got it with no problems.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 12:56 am

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
My wife (GM/STE+) and I originated at WAW on 9/4/17, flying on AF with a cheap (V bucket) Delta codeshare ticket WAW-CDG-IAD. When we asked about lounge access at AF check-in (which was run by the local airport contractor), the man who checked us in didn't know, and his female supervisor said no.

We got through security and headed toward the lounges. The AF placard was at the door at the Fantazja Lounge, so of course we went in. The extremely nice concierge admitted us gratis; a day pass to this lounge was selling for 135 zloty (about US$36). It was a very clean and modern airport club; there were some interesting adult beverages in there, particularly Zubrowka "bison grass" vodka, which was great.

Moral of story: never take no for an answer from someone who doesn't have the authority to say yes.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 7:52 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by ND76
Moral of story: never take no for an answer from someone who doesn't have the authority to say yes.
OTOH, several years ago in my kettle days I flew ZRH-CDG-SFO on AF W and at check-in they told me I would have lounge access at CDG, perhaps thinking that because the ticket said Sky Priority. This sounded wrong to me but since they had said so I tried and was politely refused entry. (Since I hadn't been expecting it I just turned around and left, wasn't a long layover anyway.)

So you can't really take "yes" as an answer from someone who doesn't have the authority either
Old Sep 19, 2017, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My wife (GM/STE+) and I originated at WAW on 9/4/17, flying on AF with a cheap (V bucket) Delta codeshare ticket WAW-CDG-IAD. When we asked about lounge access at AF check-in (which was run by the local airport contractor), the man who checked us in didn't know, and his female supervisor said no.

We got through security and headed toward the lounges. The AF placard was at the door at the Fantazja Lounge, so of course we went in. The extremely nice concierge admitted us gratis; a day pass to this lounge was selling for 135 zloty (about US$36). It was a very clean and modern airport club; there were some interesting adult beverages in there, particularly Zubrowka "bison grass" vodka, which was great.

Generally, if you are flying AF/KL metal you should be fine as their rules apply (even if DL marketed) as has been reported here numerous times. DL metal is where DL rules apply you may find access to third party lounges are hit and miss.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 11:23 am

Off topic, but yes it is. They just started importing into the U.S. after they reformulated it so its not a blood thinner. Its smooth, has a unique and very pleasant vanilla note, a cool bottle and its pretty cheap. I drink it neat as a dessert beverage. Highly recommend trying a bottle if they have it in your local package store.
koreanair720 likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 1:22 am

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
As always YMMV - my experience last weekend and sort of related.
Flying on paid business ticket on MU JFK-PVG-TPE.
Flying DCA-JFK on an upgraded award ticket.
Asked at the DL lounge DCA if my ST elite + status was good, expecting to be turned away and set to use PP at the Barracks Restaurant.
The agent said, don’t think so but then went to look at the ST elite + rules, realized I was DM and let me in. I didn’t use an elite extra for SC membership this year because it expired in August (finally the 3 year NW membership I bought pre-merger) and I knew most of my year end travel would involve either paid or award D1. This wasn’t one of the DCA agents I know well, so it was a pleasant outcome.
FWIW, I didn’t even try at JFK since the SC is so crowded late afternoon. I did use PP for Wingtips in T4 for a while and the went to T1 when I thought MU checkin would be open. MU and lots of other airlines including Norwegian Air are currently using the Alitalia lounge because the AF lounge is closed for remodeling.
Wingtips is adequate, but got crowded. Very simple food, but lots and lots of beers.
The Alitalia lounge was pretty dirty, but was packed. Limited food.
Connecting at PVG, the MU lounge was one of the nicest I’ve ever seen. First off, it was open at 445 am when I got through transfer security. Empty at that time, of course, but very spacious, two floors, lots of food and variety, including sandwiches and Asian dishes and ‘made-to-order’ noodles with lots of condiments. By noon when I left it had gotten crowded, but not packed. Will be interesting to see it early evening on my return.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 4:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What does this have to do with the third party lounge access policy (the topic of this thread)? You had a same day international Skyteam flight which entitles you to DL Sky Club access. Nothing was changed with that policy.
ajeleonard and ashill like this.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 10:09 am

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
I just flew HND-MSP in PS a few days ago and can confirm no third party lounge access for PM there, only for D1 pax. I’ve read complaints about that aspect of HND, but found plenty of good food and comfortable seating in the airport. In addition to being closer to Tokyo, I found HND to be more attractive, open, and light than NRT. I feel the advantages of HND outweigh the lack of a lounge.
FlyingNone likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Just called DM line to inquire about lounge access in SIN.

Was told that the lounge was only open from 3:00 AM to 6:00 AM. Clearly not correct.

DL website has no info on operating hours, but DL app says open 24 hrs.

Can anyone confirm operating hours?

Thanks.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 3:31 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter

Was told that the lounge was only open from 3:00 AM to 6:00 AM. Clearly not correct.

Thanks.
It's the DNATA lounge, which is 24 hrs

Airport Attractions - Singapore Changi Airport

However there is a practical restriction in that I don't think you can get a paper actual BP until the DL desk opens at T-3h and without that you can't pass through exit formalities to physically access the lounge. So "3a-6a" as usable hours might be roughly correct for a DL J pax originating at SIN.​​

Even if you were transiting to DL, if memory serves I don't think you can get a BP from the transfer desk until roughly the same timeframe so you'd likely need some other access credential prior to that time.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 7:17 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter

Thanks.
Originally Posted by Zorak
It's the DNATA lounge, which is 24 hrs

Airport Attractions - Singapore Changi Airport

However there is a practical restriction in that I don't think you can get a paper actual BP until the DL desk opens at T-3h and without that you can't pass through exit formalities to physically access the lounge. So "3a-6a" as usable hours might be roughly correct for a DL J pax originating at SIN.​​

Even if you were transiting to DL, if memory serves I don't think you can get a BP from the transfer desk until roughly the same timeframe so you'd likely need some other access credential prior to that time.
Just to clarify and reemphasize, StayingHomeIsBetter if you staying in Singapore and departing SIN on DL, you MUST check in at the airport (OLCI is not available in SIN) and airport check in opens about 3 hours prior to flight departure.

And, based on my own experience from several years back, the SIN DNATA lounge is completely forgettable, an underwhelming international lounge experience - and not worth any effort at all to finagle a way into. I'd instead recommend spending time doing some of the other "only in the SIN airport" experiences as there are several experiences in the SIN airport which are unique in the entire world.

Facilities & Services
Old Feb 11, 2019, 7:40 pm

Programs: DL GM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Platinum, IHG Gold, National Emerald Exec-Elite; Hertz Five Star
Re: SIN - If you're on what appears to be the sole departure from SIN (DL1066) at 0645, perhaps consider bagging what's described to be an unsatisfying lounge visit - if you can even get in at all - and stay at the airport Crowne Plaza the evening before you depart? I stayed there last November, slept-in a bit and my travel time was 5-8 minutes all-in from the hotel's direct access entrance into Terminal 3 to the DL check-in in Terminal 1 via a non-stop 60-90 second train ride between T3/T1.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 8:34 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
Moral of story is that if you are doing TATL or intra-Europe trips in Y while a STE+, fly on AF, KL or AZ. The Mrs. (also a PM) and I were Y pax on AZ, MUC-FCO-CTA and return, and got lounge access in all three airports (CTA has a neat little lounge landside; AZ uses the AF lounge in MUC and has a decent sized lounge in FCO Terminal 1. I've also gotten into the shared lounge that AF and KL use in BUD.

Also, the Air France/KLM Salon in IAD is supposed to reopen this spring, and will supposedly be remodeled and enlarged by more than 50%, as they are opening up the floor beneath the current lounge as additional lounge space. It is a shame that DL does not have a SkyClub in IAD, but I've always enjoyed my lounge time in the AF/KL club. Ditto the VS Clubhouse (great food and drink in there), which is not part of the SkyTeam TATL JV.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.