Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

delta cutting access to many of the international lounges

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 13, 2014, 6:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mnbp
As of May 1, 2014, Delta no longer provides status-based access to third party lounges (lounges operated neither by Delta nor by a SkyTeam partner) for passengers departing on a Delta-operated flight. Based on reports in this thread, this does not apply to passengers departing the airport they're in on a flight operated by a SkyTeam partner: all other SkyTeam partners continue to provide status-based access to third-party lounges to all SkyTeam Elite Plus members, including Delta elites. Access to third-party lounges is determined by the policy of the operating carrier of the flight departing the airport.

Nothing has changed for passengers flying in business or first class on Delta.

From the link provided in the OP:

SkyTeam Benefits

LOUNGE ACCESS
Effective May 1, 2014, all Delta third-party operated international lounges will become Business lounges. (6)
  • On or after May 1, 2014, Delta SkyTeam Elite Plus passengers flying in the economy cabin will only have access to DL Sky Clubs and SkyTeam Lounges.
  • Passengers must be traveling in Business Class to have access to Third Party Lounges.

Third party-operated Lounges:

Latin America & the Caribbean:

Bogota, CO (BOG)
Caracas, VE (CCS)
Lima, PE (LIM)
Quito, EC (UIO)

Europe/Africa/Middle East:
Accra, GH (ACC)
Arlanda, SE (ARN)
Athens, GR (ATH)
Barcelona, ES (BCN)
Brussels, BE (BRU)
Copenhagen, DK (CPH)
Dakar, SN (DKR)
Dubaij, AE (DXB)
Dublin, IE (DUB)
Dusseldorf, DE (DUS)
Frankfurt, DE (FRA)
Lagos, NG (LOS)
Madrid, ES (MAD)
Malaga, ES (AGP)
Malpensa, IT (MXP)
Manchester, GB (MAN)
Moscow, RU (SVO)
Mumbai, IN (BOM)
Munich, DE (MUC)
Nice, FR (NCE)
Pisa, IT (PSA)
Roberts, LR (ROB)
Shannon, IE (SNN)
Tel Aviv, IL (TLV)
Zurich, CH (ZRH)

Asia Pacific:
Bangkok, TH (BKK)
Beijing, CN (PEK)
Fukuoka, JP (FUK)
Guam, GU (GUM)
Hong Kong, HK (HKG) access to VS (partner) lounge. This lounge IS available to STE+, despite VS not being a SkyTeam partner.
Nagoya, JP (NGO)
Osaka, JP (KIX)
Saipan, MP (SPN)
Shanghai, CN (PVG)
Singapore, SG (SIN)
Sydney, AU (SYD) (no longer relevant after opening of SkyTeam lounge in Dec 2014)
Tokyo (Haneda), JP (HND) DL promotion provides access to two TIAT lounges at HND through Oct 31, 2017. Promotion includes any SkyClub member traveling on any airline same-day flight, and all GM, PM and DM members traveling on any DL flight. Extension of Haneda Lounge Access Promotion
Print Wikipost

delta cutting access to many of the international lounges

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2014, 4:56 am

Programs: DL SPlat, KLM Bump, Privium Plus, GOES
Originally Posted by bennos
The wording on the link cited by OP is "Delta SkyTeam Elite Plus Economy Passengers". This can be parsed as either "any skyteam elite plus passengers traveling in Y on Delta operated flights".
I interpret it also that way.
DAL is talking about BusinessElite Passengers and Delta SkyTeam Elite Plus Economy Passengers.
For instance AF or KLM does not have BusinessElite, but La Premiere, Bussiness, World Business Class or Europe Business Class and for codeshare passengers, lounge access regulations of the operating carrier apply. As a pax operating carrier has a contract with a lounge. Would pax be flying on a different Skyteam airline, that contract would not apply.

Furthermore when travelling with KLM/AF as a DM/PM/GM i've been 'pointed/guided' to 'their' lounges even if there was a lounge for DAL flights. In most places in the world, I was admitted to the lounge of my operating carrier, even if contracted...but it is confusing as SkyTeam lounge access rules only apply to lounges operated by SkyTeam or a SkyTeam-member airline. Contract lounges are not included as a ST perk so dunno what those carriers are going to do after 1 May 2014.

Last edited by Grouchy; Jan 12, 2014 at 5:50 am
Old Jan 12, 2014, 5:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by jaimemayo
The last time I was in HKG I was able to use the Quantas Lounge. Now I guess that is a thing of the past, right?
Since people are complaining about spelling here, it's Qantas without the U. They aren't in SkyTeam, so it's considered third party.

Originally Posted by rwoman
Is HKG a ST-branded lounge?
No, it's an independent lounge, not operated by any airline.

Originally Posted by doglover
Ditto with Frankfurt which is an Air France Lounge yet is listed as a 3rd party now.
The AF lounge at FRA is in th schengen area. DL TATL flights use an independent contract lounge.

Originally Posted by mbwmbw
The loss of the CSA lounge in Singapore is going to be sad.
If you mean the SkyView lounge on the mezzanine level over the bookstore in T1, it's in PP.

Last edited by Canarsie; Jan 12, 2014 at 10:27 am Reason: Consolidation.
Old Jan 12, 2014, 6:08 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
This also seems like it could be a benefit reduction for DL elites flying from most continental airports in Europe that are served by AF-KL flights and/or AZ flights, if the contract lounge access books are revised to eliminate DL SkyTeam ElitePlus customers in economy class from accessing those lounges when flying AF/KL/AZ/SU.

I wouldn't be shocked if the big whigs in SkyTeam are considering a push for a three-tier elite system in the alliance in order to cut costs for the operating carriers and to cut benefits for frequent flyers.
Old Jan 12, 2014, 6:09 am

Programs: DL Diamond and Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hertz Pres Circle
What I find most interesting about this is all the questions that have been raised and all the confusion caused, and yet, not one DL rep has come on here to clarify these issues.
Old Jan 12, 2014, 6:23 am

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by tonypct
What I find most interesting about this is all the questions that have been raised and all the confusion caused, and yet, not one DL rep has come on here to clarify these issues.
This thread started at 3:24pm ET on a Saturday. It's now Sunday morning. While I have 0% expectation of the official DL posters actually contributing useful information to any thread on this board, I'd at least wait 1 business day before being surprised that they haven't chimed in.
Old Jan 12, 2014, 6:23 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by GUWonder
This also seems like it could be a benefit reduction for DL elites flying from most continental airports in Europe that are served by AF-KL flights and/or AZ flights, if the contract lounge access books are revised to eliminate DL SkyTeam ElitePlus customers in economy class from accessing those lounges when flying AF/KL/AZ/SU.

I wouldn't be shocked if the big whigs in SkyTeam are considering a push for a three-tier elite system in the alliance in order to cut costs for the operating carriers and to cut benefits for frequent flyers.
Just when they've implemented SkyPriority for ElitePlus and trained everyone on it?
Old Jan 12, 2014, 6:25 am

The list I saw include SVO, but AFAIK DL uses the SU lounge there, or at least tries to do so when SU isn't preventing this and claiming that it's partners aren't paying.
Old Jan 12, 2014, 6:25 am

Programs: DL DM
I'll admit it's been a few months since I've been there, but I'm pretty sure the lounge in IST is not skyteam... it serves them all, but lots of other airlines too.

I'm sure someone will be passing through soon to confirm, or I can check next month and report back.

Originally Posted by ECPAAFlyer
I guess I'm confused because everything I've seen published and in the airport at Istanbul for example says it's a SkyTeam Lounge but now it's listed as a third-party? Are there others like this on the list?
Originally Posted by rwoman
If I'm reading the linked page correctly, it looks like SkyTeam lounges (IST and LHR) would be accessible.

By third party, I think they mean contracted lounges by companies such as Servisair or other companies.

Yet another devaluation...

Old Jan 12, 2014, 6:27 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Just when they've implemented SkyPriority for ElitePlus and trained everyone on it?
That's not much of a restraint on changing status benefits in an airline program and/or adjusting the benefit matrix across the alliance. It's all about the money.
Old Jan 12, 2014, 6:34 am

Programs: DL Diamond and Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by bennos
This thread started at 3:24pm ET on a Saturday. It's now Sunday morning. While I have 0% expectation of the official DL posters actually contributing useful information to any thread on this board, I'd at least wait 1 business day before being surprised that they haven't chimed in.
Don't agree. As a matter of fact, just as DLCorpGal started the thread announcing the changes to SkyClub membership options, she, or another DL rep should have announced these changes. No matter how bad it would seem for DL to announce the elimination of two major benefits almost simultaneously, it seems worse to me that we have to find out about this by reading about it on their web site.
Old Jan 12, 2014, 6:34 am

To me, the sad impact of this is that it's on top of AF and KLM refusing to make business class award and upgrade space available to DL passengers. Many people spend DL miles for BE TATL flights and accept intraEU coach connections because nothing else is available. Now that strategy will mean no lounge access except at AMS and CDG unless one has PP and even then, the PP lounge might be far from SkyTeam gates or otherwise inferior to these contract lounges for business class passengers.

OTOH, I always had the impression that at some airports, lounges or better lounges were provided for business class passengers or business class passengers who were also high tier elites. IIRC PMNW did this at some outstations. I remember being given a choice of lounges with this explanation.
Old Jan 12, 2014, 6:42 am

There will probably be an "exciting new benefit" enhancement announcement coming shortly. That will likely be the ability to purchase access to 3rd party lounge access. Tricky Dick Anderson has your back !
Old Jan 12, 2014, 6:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Originally Posted by remyontheroad
I'll admit it's been a few months since I've been there, but I'm pretty sure the lounge in IST is not skyteam... it serves them all, but lots of other airlines too.

I'm sure someone will be passing through soon to confirm, or I can check next month and report back.
The SkyTeam lounge at IST opened last summer.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...k-airport.html

Prior to this, I know DL, AF, and KL used one of the 3rd party lounges.

Old Jan 12, 2014, 6:55 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
To me, the sad impact of this is that it's on top of AF and KLM refusing to make business class award and upgrade space available to DL passengers. Many people spend DL miles for BE TATL flights and accept intraEU coach connections because nothing else is available. Now that strategy will mean no lounge access except at AMS and CDG unless one has PP and even then, the PP lounge might be far from SkyTeam gates or otherwise inferior to these contract lounges for business class passengers.
For intra-EU travel, the contract lounges accessible using PP are overwhelmingly the very same ones accessible when flying AF-KL as a SkyTeam ElitePlus in economy class from airports that have no SkyTeam-airline-operated lounge; and where the PP lounge and the contract lounge used by AF-KL are not the same, they are almost always comparable in amenities.
Old Jan 12, 2014, 7:02 am

Norway has no PP lounges. There's also none at Naples.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.