Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

delta cutting access to many of the international lounges

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 13, 2014, 6:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mnbp
As of May 1, 2014, Delta no longer provides status-based access to third party lounges (lounges operated neither by Delta nor by a SkyTeam partner) for passengers departing on a Delta-operated flight. Based on reports in this thread, this does not apply to passengers departing the airport they're in on a flight operated by a SkyTeam partner: all other SkyTeam partners continue to provide status-based access to third-party lounges to all SkyTeam Elite Plus members, including Delta elites. Access to third-party lounges is determined by the policy of the operating carrier of the flight departing the airport.

Nothing has changed for passengers flying in business or first class on Delta.

From the link provided in the OP:

SkyTeam Benefits

LOUNGE ACCESS
Effective May 1, 2014, all Delta third-party operated international lounges will become Business lounges. (6)
  • On or after May 1, 2014, Delta SkyTeam Elite Plus passengers flying in the economy cabin will only have access to DL Sky Clubs and SkyTeam Lounges.
  • Passengers must be traveling in Business Class to have access to Third Party Lounges.

Third party-operated Lounges:

Latin America & the Caribbean:

Bogota, CO (BOG)
Caracas, VE (CCS)
Lima, PE (LIM)
Quito, EC (UIO)

Europe/Africa/Middle East:
Accra, GH (ACC)
Arlanda, SE (ARN)
Athens, GR (ATH)
Barcelona, ES (BCN)
Brussels, BE (BRU)
Copenhagen, DK (CPH)
Dakar, SN (DKR)
Dubaij, AE (DXB)
Dublin, IE (DUB)
Dusseldorf, DE (DUS)
Frankfurt, DE (FRA)
Lagos, NG (LOS)
Madrid, ES (MAD)
Malaga, ES (AGP)
Malpensa, IT (MXP)
Manchester, GB (MAN)
Moscow, RU (SVO)
Mumbai, IN (BOM)
Munich, DE (MUC)
Nice, FR (NCE)
Pisa, IT (PSA)
Roberts, LR (ROB)
Shannon, IE (SNN)
Tel Aviv, IL (TLV)
Zurich, CH (ZRH)

Asia Pacific:
Bangkok, TH (BKK)
Beijing, CN (PEK)
Fukuoka, JP (FUK)
Guam, GU (GUM)
Hong Kong, HK (HKG) access to VS (partner) lounge. This lounge IS available to STE+, despite VS not being a SkyTeam partner.
Nagoya, JP (NGO)
Osaka, JP (KIX)
Saipan, MP (SPN)
Shanghai, CN (PVG)
Singapore, SG (SIN)
Sydney, AU (SYD) (no longer relevant after opening of SkyTeam lounge in Dec 2014)
Tokyo (Haneda), JP (HND) DL promotion provides access to two TIAT lounges at HND through Oct 31, 2017. Promotion includes any SkyClub member traveling on any airline same-day flight, and all GM, PM and DM members traveling on any DL flight. Extension of Haneda Lounge Access Promotion
Print Wikipost

delta cutting access to many of the international lounges

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2015, 9:06 am

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I don't think so because the person got access due to a confirmed business class departure on DL. An ElitePlus passenger is entitled to a guest, but someone with a longhaul premium cabin ticket is not.
I guess it depends which flights we're talking about. On a DL flight in J, he wouldn't be entitled to guest access. But on a UX flight in J he would be...

Just got back from Europe. I am DL PM. Was flying in J with a friend in Y, combination of DL and UX flights. Some domestic, some Schengen, some non-Schengen.
Old Oct 21, 2015, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by jrkmsp
Last summer, I was traveling BCN-CDG (by way of FCO, because of the Air France strike, but that's a whole other story) and my GM status got both my wife and I into the third-party Schengen side lounge at BCN. Granted, my ticket was a hot mess, having been issued by AF, taken over by DL during the strike (thanks medallion line!), reticketed onto OK, rejected by OK, and finally rebooked in Y on AZ. But I don't think any of that figured in my lounge access.
I don't think so because the person got access due to a confirmed business class departure on DL. An ElitePlus passenger is entitled to a guest, but someone with a longhaul premium cabin ticket is not.
I guess it depends which flights we're talking about. On a DL flight in J, he wouldn't be entitled to guest access. But on a UX flight in J he would be...
My response to MSP's comment would be: What about someone who is an STE+ passenger with a longhaul premium cabin ticket?

The key flights in question were:
- BCN-PMI on UX (this segment was actually in Y as there is no J service)
- PMI-MAD on UX, connecting same-day to MAD-ATL on DL

This was part of a much larger itinerary, but on the other legs there either weren't problems with access or we didn't have a need to try.

At BCN, no lounge discussion at check-in but I went there and was at first told I could enter but my guest could not. I said STE+ was allowed guest (kind of assumed that on this Y leg, it would be STE+ that gets me in), and the story changed to nobody gets in without a lounge pass. Lounge called UX who said they don't issue lounge passes. I produced a PP card and suddenly the agent was all smiles.

At PMI, I was offered a BP with a VIP indicator at check-in. I asked at check-in about at guest and they said to go to the lounge and show my PM card, as they could only print one VIP pass (and they also seemed to have issues printing a single BP with both the "VIP" notation for lounge and "Fast Track" for security). Went to lounge and the agent there seemed thoroughly confused as to why she would let in anyone without "VIP" printed on their BP.

At MAD, asked again at the transfer desk, was again told to go straight to the lounge and ask there. Did so and was again quite rudely rejected.

The inconsistency to me seems to be between BCN and PMI. At MAD, I suppose it was correct that I was not allowed a guest since I was transitioning from UX to DL metal. But if STE+ on UX metal gets me in at BCN, then why does it not extend to a guest? And if it was just the BCN agent that was mistaken, then why at PMI was I not able to "choose" my STE+ status as the access method over my J ticket?
Old Oct 21, 2015, 9:38 am

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by gooselee
My response to MSP's comment would be: What about someone who is an STE+ passenger with a longhaul premium cabin ticket?

This was part of a much larger itinerary, but on the other legs there either weren't problems with access or we didn't have a need to try.

At BCN, no lounge discussion at check-in but I went there and was at first told I could enter but my guest could not. I said STE+ was allowed guest (kind of assumed that on this Y leg, it would be STE+ that gets me in), and the story changed to nobody gets in without a lounge pass. Lounge called UX who said they don't issue lounge passes. I produced a PP card and suddenly the agent was all smiles.

At PMI, I was offered a BP with a VIP indicator at check-in. I asked at check-in about at guest and they said to go to the lounge and show my PM card, as they could only print one VIP pass (and they also seemed to have issues printing a single BP with both the "VIP" notation for lounge and "Fast Track" for security). Went to lounge and the agent there seemed thoroughly confused as to why she would let in anyone without "VIP" printed on their BP.

At MAD, asked again at the transfer desk, was again told to go straight to the lounge and ask there. Did so and was again quite rudely rejected.

The inconsistency to me seems to be between BCN and PMI. At MAD, I suppose it was correct that I was not allowed a guest since I was transitioning from UX to DL metal. But if STE+ on UX metal gets me in at BCN, then why does it not extend to a guest? And if it was just the BCN agent that was mistaken, then why at PMI was I not able to "choose" my STE+ status as the access method over my J ticket?
I'm not sure if these are all same-day flights, but, fwiw, BCN-PMI and PMI-MAD are both domestic flights — so the STE+ policy wouldn't apply unless you were connecting to or from a same-day international flight.
Old Oct 21, 2015, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
I'm not sure if these are all same-day flights, but, fwiw, BCN-PMI and PMI-MAD are both domestic flights — so the STE+ policy wouldn't apply unless you were connecting to or from a same-day international flight.
BCN-PMI was on it's own.

PMI-MAD-ATL happened same-day, same PNR.

But that only adds to the confusion. In theory, that BCN-PMI was a domestic flight meant that even I shouldn't have been offered access on my own, which I initially when arriving at the lounge.
Old Oct 21, 2015, 9:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Outside of the USA, some SkyTeam airlines grant lounge access on domestic flights too--for example, AF. KLM rarely operates domestic flights. IIRC some of the Chinese carriers give lounge access to their own elites before domestic mainland China flights, but I don't know whether they extend this to SkyTeam ElitePlus in coach.
Old Oct 21, 2015, 10:59 am

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by Gargoyle
Since I pay out of pocket and can't justify paying 3x the Y fare for B/E, the dropping of access to third party lounges has been a significant downgrade for me. I typically fly out of PSA 5x per year returning TATL to the states, so having a half hour in the lounge before 17 hours of travel would get the day off to a nice start. Now each trip I'm down in the packed bus terminal with it's small fiberglass seats.
If it's that important to you, why not switch carriers? *A and OW (eg: LH or BA for PSA) continue to allow access to lounges regardless of operating metal, and of course AZ if you want to stay on ST. Flying to ORD you have to change planes anyway... something like PSA-LHR-ORD would get you lounge access at every step (once you earned enough status).

Loss of "third party" lounge access is just one more reason why I basically don't fly DL in Y internationally anymore.

That said, perhaps Priority Pass is in order. It's cheaper than even a single J ticket.
Old Oct 21, 2015, 11:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by bennos
If it's that important to you, why not switch carriers? *A and OW (eg: LH or BA for PSA) continue to allow access to lounges regardless of operating metal, and of course AZ if you want to stay on ST. Flying to ORD you have to change planes anyway... something like PSA-LHR-ORD would get you lounge access at every step (once you earned enough status).

Loss of "third party" lounge access is just one more reason why I basically don't fly DL in Y internationally anymore.

That said, perhaps Priority Pass is in order. It's cheaper than even a single J ticket.
Or he could just take AZ flights from airports that have third party but not SkyTeam lounges and only use DL metal from places with SCs or genuine SkyTeam partner lounges. That would give lounge access for a SkyTeam ElitePlus flying coach between Italy and the USA.
Old Oct 21, 2015, 11:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Actually the STE+ policy you get access upon arrival to a city if A)arriving on a Skyteam operated international flight and B)either 1)connecting onward on a Skyteam international flight or 2)connecting onto a domestic flight. Thus going from BCN-PMI would get access in BCN based on connecting to domestic flight. I found this out by accident earlier this year when looking at the Skyteam website. I confirmed by using said policy that the rules do cover arrival lounge access after international flight when connecting to a domestic flight. The problem is outside the US most even short length flights are international, thus it's of little benefit on the vast majority of flights.
Old Oct 22, 2015, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Actually the STE+ policy you get access upon arrival to a city if A)arriving on a Skyteam operated international flight and B)either 1)connecting onward on a Skyteam international flight or 2)connecting onto a domestic flight. Thus going from BCN-PMI would get access in BCN based on connecting to domestic flight. I found this out by accident earlier this year when looking at the Skyteam website. I confirmed by using said policy that the rules do cover arrival lounge access after international flight when connecting to a domestic flight. The problem is outside the US most even short length flights are international, thus it's of little benefit on the vast majority of flights.
This is the same policy stated above. The prerequisite is that you must be connecting to OR from a same-day int'l Skyteam flight.

In my specific instance, BCN-PMI was a standalone, so by this policy I should not have been offered lounge access based on STE+ status in BCN, unless UX has a different policy for domestic flights that would supercede the ST policies.
Old Oct 23, 2015, 3:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Outside of the USA, some SkyTeam airlines grant lounge access on domestic flights too--for example, AF. KLM rarely operates domestic flights. IIRC some of the Chinese carriers give lounge access to their own elites before domestic mainland China flights, but I don't know whether they extend this to SkyTeam ElitePlus in coach.
IME, lounge access as ST E+ on MU and CZ domestic flights is a lottery.
Old Nov 15, 2015, 2:48 am

Programs: UA MP, NW WP, AA
Which lounge does DL use at YVR for its J/F customers flying to USA?
Old Nov 15, 2015, 6:14 am

Programs: Now MGM/Hyatt/IHG Gold Previously: DL DM, DL Reserve, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLAT, M Life PLAT, IHG PLAT
Originally Posted by gooselee

BCN-PMI
PMI-MAD they are domestic flight in Spain.

SkyTeam Elite+ lounge access is only provided on departure when:

AAA-->International-->BBB (Lounge in AAA)
AAA-->Domestic-->BBB-->International-->CCC (Lounge in AAA & BBB)
AAA-->Domestic-->BBB (NO LOUNGE)

no international segment on the SAME day = NO lounge access.
IF international segment not SkyTeam = NO lounge access

http://www.skyteam.com/en/Why-SkyTea...Access-Policy/

"SkyTeam Elite Plus members, regardless of their travel class, are allowed access to a SkyTeam lounge at a particular airport if traveling on or connecting to/from a same-day international flight operated by a SkyTeam member airline. Simply present your same-day ticket for an international SkyTeam airline flight and a valid Elite Plus membership card."
Old Nov 15, 2015, 6:17 am

Programs: Now MGM/Hyatt/IHG Gold Previously: DL DM, DL Reserve, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLAT, M Life PLAT, IHG PLAT
Originally Posted by LAX/HKG
Which lounge does DL use at YVR for its J/F customers flying to USA?
It appears there is no lounge for DL in YVR checking their SkyClub page which should also list partner lounge
Old Nov 15, 2015, 6:22 am

From Airfrance Website:
so AF do give lounge access in Paris as i believe they have plenty enough amount of lounges there most of the time in all the small wing they have one. It is provided as a courtesy for the French FF to make them feel valued to continue to fly with them and their bad program and have no choice as they live in France.

The investment in the lounges at the domestic side is not really good at all compare how different the international one is for obvious reasons.

"FLYING BLUE GOLD AND PLATINUM OR SKYTEAM ELITE PLUS
You and a guest of your choice can take advantage of free entry to the 530 Air France and SkyTeam lounges. You can access these lounges before your flight's departure when you travel:
on an AIR FRANCE, KLM, or SkyTeam international flight,
on an Air France flight within Paris that departs from Paris-Charles de Gaulle, Paris-Orly West and airports in certain select cities,
on a SkyTeam flight within one country that connects to a SkyTeam international flight on the same day.

If you are a Flying Blue Gold or Platinum member traveling on an Air France intercontinental flight to Paris-Charles de Gaulle, you can access the Arrivals lounge at Terminal 2C.

At Paris-Charles de Gaulle as well as at some international airports, you can invite 1 or more guests to join you, subject to availability*.
Beyond your 1st guest, lounge access is available for a fee**. This fee varies according to the location:
25 and 45 € in Europe, Asia, Pacific Ocean destinations, Middle East, Africa,
35 and 50 USD in the United States and South America,
30 and 50 CAD in Canada,
or 3,500 and 5,000 Miles (depending on the zone).

In all of our lounges, you can pay directly by credit card. AIR FRANCE and KLM lounges also accept payment in Miles."
Old Nov 15, 2015, 6:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Felixishim
BCN-PMI
PMI-MAD they are domestic flight in Spain.

SkyTeam Elite+ lounge access is only provided on departure when:

AAA-->International-->BBB (Lounge in AAA)
AAA-->Domestic-->BBB-->International-->CCC (Lounge in AAA & BBB)
AAA-->Domestic-->BBB (NO LOUNGE)

no international segment on the SAME day = NO lounge access.
IF international segment not SkyTeam = NO lounge access

http://www.skyteam.com/en/Why-SkyTea...Access-Policy/

"SkyTeam Elite Plus members, regardless of their travel class, are allowed access to a SkyTeam lounge at a particular airport if traveling on or connecting to/from a same-day international flight operated by a SkyTeam member airline. Simply present your same-day ticket for an international SkyTeam airline flight and a valid Elite Plus membership card."
Thank you for stating the policy I already know.

Please re-read to understand my frustration with how they were (not) applied on these flights, and the actual question I had regarding access for a guest as STE+.

All flights were on SkyTeam metal, and long-haul int'l flight was on DL metal.
BCN-PMI: Domestic itinerary in Y, yet I was given access (guest was able to use my Priority Pass)
PMI-MAD-ATL: Int'l itinerary in J, I was given access based on J ticket. Was summarily denied access for a guest (guest was on same flight in Y). I have no idea whether I would have been offered access in Y, as lounge agents in both PMI and MAD did not seem to think that STE+ status mattered at all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.