Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

delta cutting access to many of the international lounges

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 13, 2014, 6:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mnbp
As of May 1, 2014, Delta no longer provides status-based access to third party lounges (lounges operated neither by Delta nor by a SkyTeam partner) for passengers departing on a Delta-operated flight. Based on reports in this thread, this does not apply to passengers departing the airport they're in on a flight operated by a SkyTeam partner: all other SkyTeam partners continue to provide status-based access to third-party lounges to all SkyTeam Elite Plus members, including Delta elites. Access to third-party lounges is determined by the policy of the operating carrier of the flight departing the airport.

Nothing has changed for passengers flying in business or first class on Delta.

From the link provided in the OP:

SkyTeam Benefits

LOUNGE ACCESS
Effective May 1, 2014, all Delta third-party operated international lounges will become Business lounges. (6)
  • On or after May 1, 2014, Delta SkyTeam Elite Plus passengers flying in the economy cabin will only have access to DL Sky Clubs and SkyTeam Lounges.
  • Passengers must be traveling in Business Class to have access to Third Party Lounges.

Third party-operated Lounges:

Latin America & the Caribbean:

Bogota, CO (BOG)
Caracas, VE (CCS)
Lima, PE (LIM)
Quito, EC (UIO)

Europe/Africa/Middle East:
Accra, GH (ACC)
Arlanda, SE (ARN)
Athens, GR (ATH)
Barcelona, ES (BCN)
Brussels, BE (BRU)
Copenhagen, DK (CPH)
Dakar, SN (DKR)
Dubaij, AE (DXB)
Dublin, IE (DUB)
Dusseldorf, DE (DUS)
Frankfurt, DE (FRA)
Lagos, NG (LOS)
Madrid, ES (MAD)
Malaga, ES (AGP)
Malpensa, IT (MXP)
Manchester, GB (MAN)
Moscow, RU (SVO)
Mumbai, IN (BOM)
Munich, DE (MUC)
Nice, FR (NCE)
Pisa, IT (PSA)
Roberts, LR (ROB)
Shannon, IE (SNN)
Tel Aviv, IL (TLV)
Zurich, CH (ZRH)

Asia Pacific:
Bangkok, TH (BKK)
Beijing, CN (PEK)
Fukuoka, JP (FUK)
Guam, GU (GUM)
Hong Kong, HK (HKG) access to VS (partner) lounge. This lounge IS available to STE+, despite VS not being a SkyTeam partner.
Nagoya, JP (NGO)
Osaka, JP (KIX)
Saipan, MP (SPN)
Shanghai, CN (PVG)
Singapore, SG (SIN)
Sydney, AU (SYD) (no longer relevant after opening of SkyTeam lounge in Dec 2014)
Tokyo (Haneda), JP (HND) DL promotion provides access to two TIAT lounges at HND through Oct 31, 2017. Promotion includes any SkyClub member traveling on any airline same-day flight, and all GM, PM and DM members traveling on any DL flight. Extension of Haneda Lounge Access Promotion
Print Wikipost

delta cutting access to many of the international lounges

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2014, 7:30 am
Formerly known as HuwRLewis

Programs: DL-DM (Charter); DL-MM; Hilton: Diamond
Sitting in Skyview lounge at Changi. On the AF SIN/CDG in PV, on the UG list. But I didn't have to ask for lounge access, the checkin agent handed it to me as soon as I checked in.

What is wrong with the people at Delta? Are they hell-bent on getting rid of all their Medallions?
Old Dec 17, 2014, 7:42 am

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
At BUD on Monday 12/15, I was on a Delta ticket/code share numbers but KLM metal to AMS and then to ATL. I asked the front counter agent about lounges when I checked it (I was on a cheap coach ticket), and her response was, yes, there are lounges airside.

I wandered around the duty-free shopping areas on both levels of airside, and, on the second floor, found the SkyCourt Lounge; the sign at the door indicated that this was the AF/KL lounge. I went in, handed the concierge my Diamond Medallion card, and, voila, I got in without having to pay (I reached the airport about 4 hours before flight time and was willing to buy my way into a lounge; there were the Platinum lounge, the Master Card lounge, and, I think, a Menzies lounge at BUD). The food options in the SkyCourt Lounge were meager, but there were comfortable chairs, power sockets, lots to drink, private bathrooms and very good internet access.

All in all a good lounge experience.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 7:48 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by ND76
At BUD on Monday 12/15, I was on a Delta ticket/code share numbers but KLM metal to AMS and then to ATL. I asked the front counter agent about lounges when I checked it (I was on a cheap coach ticket), and her response was, yes, there are lounges airside.

I wandered around the duty-free shopping areas on both levels of airside, and, on the second floor, found the SkyCourt Lounge; the sign at the door indicated that this was the AF/KL lounge. I went in, handed the concierge my Diamond Medallion card, and, voila, I got in without having to pay (I reached the airport about 4 hours before flight time and was willing to buy my way into a lounge; there were the Platinum lounge, the Master Card lounge, and, I think, a Menzies lounge at BUD). The food options in the SkyCourt Lounge were meager, but there were comfortable chairs, power sockets, lots to drink, private bathrooms and very good internet access.

All in all a good lounge experience.
As has been mentioned many times and is in bold at the top of the wiki at the top of the page, this is irrelevant to this thread. The changes only apply to Delta-operated flights. Since you were on a KLM-operated flight out of BUD, it is KLM lounge access rules that apply in BUD. KLM does provide Elite Plus members lounge access in third party lounges.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 7:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by ashill
As has been mentioned many times and is in bold at the top of the wiki at the top of the page, this is irrelevant to this thread. The changes only apply to Delta-operated flights. Since you were on a KLM-operated flight out of BUD, it is KLM lounge access rules that apply in BUD. KLM does provide Elite Plus members lounge access in third party lounges.
Exactly.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 7:57 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by ashill
All other SkyTeam carriers -- that is, not DL -- seem to provide third party lounge access to ElitePlus in economy class.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 11:39 am

Programs: DL GM
Lounge access at PVG

As of April 13th Delta has moved to Terminal 1 at PVG. I flew through there with two colleagues (all GM or above) on 4/18 in Y on the PVG-DTW flight and we were all given VIP/lounge passes at check in. With those passes we were able to access the VIP immigration line/security line on the far left hand side as well as get access to the lounge. The lounge is located near Gate 19 and wasn't all the special but it offered a hot meal, cold drinks and a comfortable place to sit during our layover.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 3:54 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Is this lounge operated by CZ or MU? Several years ago the CZ lounge at PVG was horrible.
Old Oct 20, 2015, 5:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Bumping this thread up - did we ever find something definitive about whether STE+ should still be able to bring guests into the 3rd party lounges?

Just got back from Europe. I am DL PM. Was flying in J with a friend in Y, combination of DL and UX flights. Some domestic, some Schengen, some non-Schengen. Not only did I occasionally have difficulty getting myself into the lounges with my J ticket and physical DL PM card (and UX agents just shrugged when I told them the lounge was demanding a lounge pass), I was very adamantly told that I could not bring a guest in with me. This happened at multiple airports in Spain with AENA-operated lounges. No problems in FCO but that was an AZ-operated lounge.

At one point I gave up and just accessed using PP and paying the $27 for my guest.

If this access has been removed, it seems to be in disagreement with the access policies listed here: http://www.skyteam.com/en/Why-SkyTea...Access-Policy/ in conjunction with the lounges listed here http://www.skyteam.com/en/Why-SkyTea...Lounge-Finder/.

But basically, I'll likely be taking a similar trip again soon and would love to know if I should be pushing harder for guest access. It was quite frustrating to review the access policies and lounge listings beforehand only to be turned away at almost every attempt, though I can also understand lounge agents being used to turning away STE+ in Y, and then naturally extending that to anyone flying SkyTeam and not holding a J ticket or lounge pass.
Old Oct 20, 2015, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
Originally Posted by gooselee
Bumping this thread up - did we ever find something definitive about whether STE+ should still be able to bring guests into the 3rd party lounges?

Just got back from Europe. I am DL PM. Was flying in J with a friend in Y, combination of DL and UX flights.
Per the wiki here, "Nothing has changed for passengers flying in business or first class on Delta." So, flying J you should have been able to bring a guest.

Since I pay out of pocket and can't justify paying 3x the Y fare for B/E, the dropping of access to third party lounges has been a significant downgrade for me. I typically fly out of PSA 5x per year returning TATL to the states, so having a half hour in the lounge before 17 hours of travel would get the day off to a nice start. Now each trip I'm down in the packed bus terminal with it's small fiberglass seats.
Old Oct 21, 2015, 6:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by Gargoyle
Per the wiki here, "Nothing has changed for passengers flying in business or first class on Delta." So, flying J you should have been able to bring a guest.
That's my understanding as well. But I'm wondering if others have had actual success in doing this. The AENA dragons seemed quite adamant that I was not allowed a guest, and I didn't feel like standing there and looking up the ST website on my phone. They were at least consistent with each other, I guess.
Old Oct 21, 2015, 8:02 am

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by gooselee
That's my understanding as well. But I'm wondering if others have had actual success in doing this. The AENA dragons seemed quite adamant that I was not allowed a guest, and I didn't feel like standing there and looking up the ST website on my phone. They were at least consistent with each other, I guess.
Last summer, I was traveling BCN-CDG (by way of FCO, because of the Air France strike, but that's a whole other story) and my GM status got both my wife and I into the third-party Schengen side lounge at BCN. Granted, my ticket was a hot mess, having been issued by AF, taken over by DL during the strike (thanks medallion line!), reticketed onto OK, rejected by OK, and finally rebooked in Y on AZ. But I don't think any of that figured in my lounge access.
Old Oct 21, 2015, 8:06 am

Programs: DL Diamond, ANA Platinum
I've never succeeded in bringing in a guest at HND even when flying in J.

Hell, they won't even offer a lounge pass if I'm given an op-up.
Old Oct 21, 2015, 8:19 am

Originally Posted by jrkmsp
Last summer, I was traveling BCN-CDG (by way of FCO, because of the Air France strike, but that's a whole other story) and my GM status got both my wife and I into the third-party Schengen side lounge at BCN. Granted, my ticket was a hot mess, having been issued by AF, taken over by DL during the strike (thanks medallion line!), reticketed onto OK, rejected by OK, and finally rebooked in Y on AZ. But I don't think any of that figured in my lounge access.
What mattered was that you were SkyTeam ElitePlus traveling on a same day international SkyTeam itinerary and departing on a flight operated by AZ rather than DL. If you had been departing in coach on DL, you would not have had access to that third party contract lounge at BCN. AZ flight means AZ rules apply.
Old Oct 21, 2015, 8:23 am

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
What mattered was that you were SkyTeam ElitePlus traveling on a same day international SkyTeam itinerary and departing on a flight operated by AZ rather than DL. If you had been departing in coach on DL, you would not have had access to that third party contract lounge at BCN. AZ flight means AZ rules apply.
I know. I was trying to address the question from up thread about bringing in guests to an airport lounge in Spain.
Old Oct 21, 2015, 8:29 am

Originally Posted by jrkmsp
I know. I was trying to address the question from up thread about bringing in guests to an airport lounge in Spain.
I don't think so because the person got access due to a confirmed business class departure on DL. An ElitePlus passenger is entitled to a guest, but someone with a longhaul premium cabin ticket is not.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.