Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

delta cutting access to many of the international lounges

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 13, 2014, 6:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mnbp
As of May 1, 2014, Delta no longer provides status-based access to third party lounges (lounges operated neither by Delta nor by a SkyTeam partner) for passengers departing on a Delta-operated flight. Based on reports in this thread, this does not apply to passengers departing the airport they're in on a flight operated by a SkyTeam partner: all other SkyTeam partners continue to provide status-based access to third-party lounges to all SkyTeam Elite Plus members, including Delta elites. Access to third-party lounges is determined by the policy of the operating carrier of the flight departing the airport.

Nothing has changed for passengers flying in business or first class on Delta.

From the link provided in the OP:

SkyTeam Benefits

LOUNGE ACCESS
Effective May 1, 2014, all Delta third-party operated international lounges will become Business lounges. (6)
  • On or after May 1, 2014, Delta SkyTeam Elite Plus passengers flying in the economy cabin will only have access to DL Sky Clubs and SkyTeam Lounges.
  • Passengers must be traveling in Business Class to have access to Third Party Lounges.

Third party-operated Lounges:

Latin America & the Caribbean:

Bogota, CO (BOG)
Caracas, VE (CCS)
Lima, PE (LIM)
Quito, EC (UIO)

Europe/Africa/Middle East:
Accra, GH (ACC)
Arlanda, SE (ARN)
Athens, GR (ATH)
Barcelona, ES (BCN)
Brussels, BE (BRU)
Copenhagen, DK (CPH)
Dakar, SN (DKR)
Dubaij, AE (DXB)
Dublin, IE (DUB)
Dusseldorf, DE (DUS)
Frankfurt, DE (FRA)
Lagos, NG (LOS)
Madrid, ES (MAD)
Malaga, ES (AGP)
Malpensa, IT (MXP)
Manchester, GB (MAN)
Moscow, RU (SVO)
Mumbai, IN (BOM)
Munich, DE (MUC)
Nice, FR (NCE)
Pisa, IT (PSA)
Roberts, LR (ROB)
Shannon, IE (SNN)
Tel Aviv, IL (TLV)
Zurich, CH (ZRH)

Asia Pacific:
Bangkok, TH (BKK)
Beijing, CN (PEK)
Fukuoka, JP (FUK)
Guam, GU (GUM)
Hong Kong, HK (HKG) access to VS (partner) lounge. This lounge IS available to STE+, despite VS not being a SkyTeam partner.
Nagoya, JP (NGO)
Osaka, JP (KIX)
Saipan, MP (SPN)
Shanghai, CN (PVG)
Singapore, SG (SIN)
Sydney, AU (SYD) (no longer relevant after opening of SkyTeam lounge in Dec 2014)
Tokyo (Haneda), JP (HND) DL promotion provides access to two TIAT lounges at HND through Oct 31, 2017. Promotion includes any SkyClub member traveling on any airline same-day flight, and all GM, PM and DM members traveling on any DL flight. Extension of Haneda Lounge Access Promotion
Print Wikipost

delta cutting access to many of the international lounges

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2014, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Left SIN on DL166 Nov 17 in EC, no access anymore. BE only. Same lounge location at top of escalators, looks like it was "renovated".

No great loss. I got a SBUX Venti Latte and sat in the demo massage chair compliments of OSIM for the 40 minutes outside gate 47.

Last edited by tentseller; Nov 27, 2014 at 8:06 am
Old Nov 27, 2014, 9:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by tentseller
When you say last year you mean 2013?

DL was using the contract lounge; when ever there is a DL contracted lounge or SC , AF is very firm in not letting DL pax into the AF lounge.

This is a very delicate relationship: DL and AF never liked each other. NW and KL were in bed together. Then due to external factors DL ended up with NW and AF adopted KL. Sounds like a French soap opera!
Really? Until it went away, I often used the AF lounge at NRT before my PMNW or DL flights, as a PE or DM traveling in WBC or BE. Sometimes the dragon would photocopy my boarding pass and passport page, but I was always welcomed.
Old Nov 27, 2014, 9:51 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by tentseller
Left SIN on DL166 Nov 17 in EC, no access anymore. BE only. Same lounge location at top of escalators, looks like it was "renovated".

No great loss. I got a SBUX Venti Latte and sat in the demo massage chair compliments of OSIM for the 40 minutes outside gate 47.
I think the SIN SkyView lounge is in PP. IIRC they always had a rule that access through NW/DL was only allowed within three hours of departure.

There are also some pay lounge at SIN. I've never used them but I suspect they're not as good.

In any case, SkyView is much better than the tiny dark windowless depressing TG lounge that PMNW/DL used to use at SIN.
Old Nov 27, 2014, 5:51 pm
Formerly known as HuwRLewis

Programs: DL-DM (Charter); DL-MM; Hilton: Diamond
Hi,

Was just checking about Lounge Access at Changi for tomorrow's SIN/NRT trip. Today, there are 9 BE seats open; and the UG list shows I'm #1 of one. Things look promising, but right now I'm still in EC...

I was a bit confused by one or two people mentioning earlier that access to some ST lounges was in fact available to ElitePlus pax regardless of cabin...

So I just wrote to DL to clarify, and got this somewhat convoluted reply:

"... we do not have a
Delta SkyClub in the Singapore airport. The lounge available is the
Skyview lounge operated by a third party. Diamond, Platinum and Gold
Medallion members are eligible for SkyTeam Elite Plus benefits,
including access to international lounges. Some of these lounges are
operated by third parties as an extension of our BusinessElite service
and are now Business lounges for Delta’s SkyTeam Elite Plus members
(effective May 1, 2014). Therefore, to access them, Delta SkyTeam Elite
Plus members must be booked on an international flight in BusinessElite
or Business Class.

To learn more about SkyTeam Elite Plus international lounges, please
visit delta.com/skyteam.

Thank you for your support as a One Million Miler Diamond Medallion
member and for trusting your business to us. Be assured, we will make
every attempt to serve you well; we are focused on the future and look
forward to our continued business relationship.

Sincerely,..
"

So I immediately replied,

"Hello Nikki,

This is a bit confusing...

Just to be clear: You're saying that only BE pax have any lounge access whatever at Changi?
"

No reply.
Old Nov 27, 2014, 6:07 pm

Just got this from the desk. It is very clear. But I guess I'm surprised that there's not a single ST lounge at Changi...

Anyone else find this weird???

Has the new policy been set by the 'third party' lounges rather than by Delta?

"...Thank you for your reply.

We apologize for any confusion. Unfortunately, since we do not have a
Delta Sky Club or a SkyTeam partner operated lounge in Singapore, you
would not have lounge access unless you travel in BusinesElite. Please
accept our apology for any inconvenience.

We value your confidence and Diamond Medallion loyalty....
"
Old Nov 27, 2014, 6:10 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
I'm in Singapore right now, flying out on 12/1. Based on all of the above, I won't even try to access the lounge. SIN has enough good food offerings and other amenities that it doesn't matter anyway.
Old Nov 27, 2014, 7:05 pm

Programs: QF Plat - OW EMD | DL Gold / Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by CarmenOM
I'm in Singapore right now, flying out on 12/1. Based on all of the above, I won't even try to access the lounge. SIN has enough good food offerings and other amenities that it doesn't matter anyway.
FWIW, I tried in Singapore a couple weeks ago and was denied an invite at check-in, but was told, "Delta still values your business"

Flying Garuda Indonesia out of Singapore on same trip (outbound leg), I had no problem getting 3rd party lounge access (Dnata Lounge, T3). I didn't even have to ask. I arrived on the DL flight at 00:30, spent the night at the T1 Ambassador Transit Hotel, and at 06:00 went to the transit counter in T3 for Garuda and was given a lounge invite without asking.

Garuda provided me lounge access at each airport I used on their ticket, including GA operated lounges and 3rd party operated lounges.

SDF
Old Nov 28, 2014, 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by CrazyCelt
Hi,

Was just checking about Lounge Access at Changi for tomorrow's SIN/NRT trip. Today, there are 9 BE seats open; and the UG list shows I'm #1 of one. Things look promising, but right now I'm still in EC...

I was a bit confused by one or two people mentioning earlier that access to some ST lounges was in fact available to ElitePlus pax regardless of cabin...

So I just wrote to DL to clarify, and got this somewhat convoluted reply:

"... we do not have a
Delta SkyClub in the Singapore airport. The lounge available is the
Skyview lounge operated by a third party. Diamond, Platinum and Gold
Medallion members are eligible for SkyTeam Elite Plus benefits,
including access to international lounges. Some of these lounges are
operated by third parties as an extension of our BusinessElite service
and are now Business lounges for Delta’s SkyTeam Elite Plus members
(effective May 1, 2014). Therefore, to access them, Delta SkyTeam Elite
Plus members must be booked on an international flight in BusinessElite
or Business Class.

To learn more about SkyTeam Elite Plus international lounges, please
visit delta.com/skyteam.

Thank you for your support as a One Million Miler Diamond Medallion
member and for trusting your business to us. Be assured, we will make
every attempt to serve you well; we are focused on the future and look
forward to our continued business relationship.

Sincerely,..
"

So I immediately replied,

"Hello Nikki,

This is a bit confusing...

Just to be clear: You're saying that only BE pax have any lounge access whatever at Changi?
"

No reply.
IMO the misleading part is mentioning SkyTeam ElitePlus when mentioning access to the SkyView lounge for BE passengers. AFAIK all DL BE passengers exSIN are sent to this lounge, not just those with status.

If someone is departing on a SkyTeam partner, the access rules seem to be unchanged, namely lounge access for all ElitePlus passengers, including to contract lounges although different partners can use different contract lounges, as at SIN where Garuda apparently uses a Dnata lounge while AF/KLM send their passengers to SkyView, although in this case Garuda uses T3 while DL/AF/KLM are in T1 at SIN.
Old Dec 1, 2014, 12:54 pm

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat 100 (LT Gold), IHG Spire, Hyatt Diamond, HH Gold, National EE, Hertz Prez Circle
Originally Posted by CarmenOM
I just flew out of SIN yesterday, and had an argument with the Skyview dragon about access to the lounge. The SkyTeam website clearly identifies Skyview as a lounge to which Elite Plus passengers have access to, but she said only pax in BE were allowed in. Ended the conversation by giving her my PP card because I needed a shower more than being proven right.
Old Dec 1, 2014, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by landeej
I just flew out of SIN yesterday, and had an argument with the Skyview dragon about access to the lounge. The SkyTeam website clearly identifies Skyview as a lounge to which Elite Plus passengers have access to, but she said only pax in BE were allowed in. Ended the conversation by giving her my PP card because I needed a shower more than being proven right.
When flying on a DL flight, the DL rules trump the rules on the Skyteam website. You might want to review the wiki page on the first page of this thread. You will see SIN listed as one of the airports where there is no longer lounge access when using Skyteam Elite Plus credentials. It is also formally listed on DL's website at the page below which is what this thread is all about --

http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...-benefits.html

Last edited by xliioper; Dec 1, 2014 at 1:42 pm
Old Dec 1, 2014, 3:34 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by landeej
IThe SkyTeam website clearly identifies Skyview as a lounge to which Elite Plus passengers have access to, but she said only pax in BE were allowed in.
The SkyTeam lounge finder is just one more dysfunctional element of the alliance.
Old Dec 1, 2014, 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by bennos
The SkyTeam lounge finder is just one more dysfunctional element of the alliance.
I agree. It's a huge mess, and the DL folk seem confused.

On Thursday I tweeted Delta about a flight out of SIN that I was taking the following day. I'd received firm 'no' from one DL agent, but you sometimes get different answers from different agents... Lol

So I sent the following tweet, that, as you'll see, made no mention of cabin class...

"I am a Sky Club member. Will I be able to use the club at Singapore Changi tomorrow morning?"

I got the following reply a little later. (I've deleted the agent's initials for his/her privacy/protection.)

"Yes, the club is located in Terminal 1, Unit 031-06, Mezzanine Floor, Transit Departure Hall *..."

Go figure.

Last edited by CrazyCelt; Dec 1, 2014 at 8:28 pm Reason: Clarity
Old Dec 1, 2014, 8:59 pm

Recently I've noticed that my PNRs have li links to lounges, on the right side near the airport links. Are these accurate for admission?
Old Dec 1, 2014, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Recently I've noticed that my PNRs have li links to lounges, on the right side near the airport links. Are these accurate for admission?

No, it's just a list of lounges available at the airport, not an indication that you will have access. You need to go to the lounge finder page and click the appropriate checkbox (BE passenger, Skyteam ElitePlus, etc.) to see if you are actually entitled to access.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 5:47 am

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat 100 (LT Gold), IHG Spire, Hyatt Diamond, HH Gold, National EE, Hertz Prez Circle
Originally Posted by LBJ
No, it's just a list of lounges available at the airport, not an indication that you will have access. You need to go to the lounge finder page and click the appropriate checkbox (BE passenger, Skyteam ElitePlus, etc.) to see if you are actually entitled to access.
The list of lounges on the right of the PNR will also fail to include the access a flyer has to Virgin Atlantic Clubhouses if flying Virgin metal on a Delta ticket.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.