Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Serves Pizza

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2014, 4:11 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
It's so stupid.. To penny pinch in this way is really going to hurt delta down the line. I'm sure. The thought is most corporate flyers will just pay for their meal with their company and not DLs cash. Very short sighted logic.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 6:27 pm
us2
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL
Originally Posted by cfabar1
It's so stupid.. To penny pinch in this way is really going to hurt delta down the line. I'm sure. The thought is most corporate flyers will just pay for their meal with their company and not DLs cash. Very short sighted logic.
Precisely. A last minute BE fare for tomorrow prices out at $12,646 round trip in I, cheapest coach fare was /= $2000. The lack of a proper business class lounge is bad enough (and even LH can support a quite decent one at DTW), but being told your only comp for a delay of that length is pizza would have me rethinking my expenditures on international business travel. While I do think DL does a good job inflight, the on the ground experience can make or break one's overall opinion about the trip and Delta falls far short of the mark there. Being forced to shell out, say $60, out of one's own pocket to find a decent meal and a few decent drinks while waiting out an egregiously long delay is not the way to attract and retain the high value customers Delta claims to care so much about. If you want high value customers, you have to treat them like high value customers.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 6:47 pm

Programs: PA FT, TW Gold, NW/CO PE, VK Eagleflyer
Originally Posted by us2

Delta is being penny-wise and pound foolish here: EU comp for a delay of this length is 600 Euros cash plus food.
DL also fought against the Passenger Bill of Rights for ground delays as well.

Mumbles Anderson used the DL house organ, Whistling Dixie, to rail against it, as it could make airlines accountable to their customers, thus possibly reducing exec compensation.

Don't expect the Big Global Airline that's Got Your Back to spent a dollar more than is absolutely necessary to mitigate your inconvenience.

Y'all keep climbing.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 9:51 am

Programs: AS, AA, WN
Originally Posted by aviatorzz
This, IIRC, is DL's new way of easing a delay without handing out meal vouchers. Sounds like DL is trying out new things to save money, which started out with the travel vouchers. I remember a few years ago getting a $150 voucher for a 6+ hour mechanical. A few years later, same timeframe of a delay I was handed a $50 voucher. A few months ago, I wasn't given anything for an overnight other than a hotel. I spoke with a very nice lady at a station out east about this and she told me that they were a test bed for this new incentive of not handing out any vouchers and letting the customer contact customer care and getting the vouchers that way.

Distract the masses with food, they won't complain I guess.
I noticed this in SLC on Tuesday. A flight to MCO had been delayed and they delivered 40 pizzas to the gate.

Sucks if you are lactose intolerant or can't eat gluten, I guess?
Old Apr 6, 2014, 5:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by TexasYankee
When Capt. Denny talked at the Chicago Seminars 2 years ago he mentioned that pilots are allowed to buy food and that he occaisionaly has gone to mcdonalds to get burgers and etc for all on the plane. Not sure if the airlines frown on this happening frequently but Capt. Denny explained that it was his way of showing good customer service. Although it has never happened to me - I would go out of my way to patronize the airline that did this!
This is a typical Capt Denny speech, BTW, I wish there were more capt's like him. His story about the hamburger is the way to shut up the people with the biggest mouths...

Good deeds are better then bad ones, having the airline spend $250 to make passenagers happy goes a long way, too bad this sort of behavior isn't pick up more by the news agencies...
Old May 25, 2014, 3:03 pm

Programs: DL Gold Hilton Gold
DTW Delay = Pizza

Two hour delay on this afternoon's DTW-IAH flight. I was sitting a little way from the gate (watching a DVD) when I saw a bunch of folks lining up.

DL had brought lots of free pizza and bottled water and soft drinks to the gate. Pretty nice.

Now just don't be thinking this will happen every time, of course!
Old May 25, 2014, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
This is apparently how DL is handling meals during IROPS now that they stopped giving out vouchers. I actually think it's rather cheap of them, but it seems a lot of people are actually impressed.
Old May 25, 2014, 3:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
I'm betting a year from now the gate agents will just give each passenger a two pack of crackers, a packet of ketchup, and a packet of imitation Parmesan cheese. Delta can spin it off as a 'Create Your Own Pizza' party during delays.
Old May 25, 2014, 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by javabytes
This is apparently how DL is handling meals during IROPS now that they stopped giving out vouchers. I actually think it's rather cheap of them, but it seems a lot of people are actually impressed.
Geez...people complain about everything. I would be thrilled if they gave me Pizza during an IROP. I am not picky. Unless I am missing something, is DL required to do anything during an IROP?

Sure vouchers might be nice, but their certainly nothing wrong with the Pizza. I don't think it is cheap at all. I would be grateful if they gave me Pizza, I would thank them, and would not even think of complaining about it on a BB. I guess some people feel they are worth more than a Pizza.

Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
I'm betting a year from now the gate agents will just give each passenger a two pack of crackers, a packet of ketchup, and a packet of imitation Parmesan cheese. Delta can spin it off as a 'Create Your Own Pizza' party during delays.
Again, people on this board can be so negative. Sad.
Old May 25, 2014, 7:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by SRQRoadWarrior
Geez...people complain about everything. I would be thrilled if they gave me Pizza during an IROP. I am not picky. Unless I am missing something, is DL required to do anything during an IROP?

Sure vouchers might be nice, but their certainly nothing wrong with the Pizza. I don't think it is cheap at all. I would be grateful if they gave me Pizza, I would thank them, and would not even think of complaining about it on a BB. I guess some people feel they are worth more than a Pizza.

Again, people on this board can be so negative. Sad.
I'm just genuinely curious. Why should we celebrate a downgrade from what we once enjoyed? Why should someone who paid $$$$ for a BE ticket have to stand in line for a slice what is most likely some sort of frozen pizza heated up in the crew lounge?
Old May 25, 2014, 7:51 pm

I'm just genuinely curious. Why should we celebrate a downgrade from what we once enjoyed? Why should someone who paid $$$$ for a BE ticket have to stand in line for a slice what is most likely some sort of frozen pizza heated up in the crew lounge?
People that "pay $$$$ for BE tickets" don't complain on this board in general.

I'm also genuinely curious - how are you able to generate so much faux outrage ? Do you practice at home? Is there some sort of book you read?
Old May 25, 2014, 7:58 pm

Programs: Delta PM, MM
^
Old May 25, 2014, 8:04 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
In some airports, pizza is going to be better than airport restaurants, especially if it's late and places have started to close. Plus, it means not having to leave the gate where your stuff is and where announcements will be.

Besides, maybe BE pax get first pick and therefore don't have to stand in line
Old May 25, 2014, 8:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by SRQRoadWarrior
Up until January, meal vouchers were required for delays within Delta's control... then they removed it from the Contract of Carriage. Pizza is a money saving effort... it doesn't get cheaper or unhealthier. People shouldn't expect anything for weather, etc. but it's pretty laughable when you're sitting around for 5 hours while they fix a broken plane and their idea of a service gesture is to wheel in some Papa Johns.
Old May 25, 2014, 8:12 pm

Don't forget if you are not happy with the DL Pizza offering, you can always fly a different airline. Nothing is forcing you to keep complaining about they way DL treats you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.