Delta Serves Pizza

Old Jan 11, 14, 11:13 am

Programs: DL GM, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Explorist
DL VPS ground crew is great. I really like the older of the two redcoats. When I flew out just before Christmas they had a table set up at gate B2 with sodas, bottled waters, and some snacks.

Did they order pizzas from Helenback downstairs?
Old Jan 11, 14, 1:16 pm

Programs: Delta Charter KM, RW, PM, SC, SkyBonus; HH Diamond, IHG Plt Amb, Global Ent, TWIC
Test run for the new SkyClub menu
Old Jan 11, 14, 6:45 pm

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by jackplum View Post
Test run for the new SkyClub menu
We could only hope
Old Jan 11, 14, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; HH Diam,Hz PC,
Originally Posted by Crazyhotelguy View Post
We could only hope
Yes - here is to hoping.
Old Jan 11, 14, 8:27 pm

Programs: DL DM, Bonvoy LTT, HH Diam, UA Silver, USAF million miler ;)
They must serve a lot of pizza there...this flight has been late nearly every time I have taken it

Of the six flights today, four were late, two for more that three hours.
Old Jan 11, 14, 9:48 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by orca15 View Post
They must serve a lot of pizza there...this flight has been late nearly every time I have taken it

Of the six flights today, four were late, two for more that three hours.
This, IIRC, is DL's new way of easing a delay without handing out meal vouchers. Sounds like DL is trying out new things to save money, which started out with the travel vouchers. I remember a few years ago getting a $150 voucher for a 6+ hour mechanical. A few years later, same timeframe of a delay I was handed a $50 voucher. A few months ago, I wasn't given anything for an overnight other than a hotel. I spoke with a very nice lady at a station out east about this and she told me that they were a test bed for this new incentive of not handing out any vouchers and letting the customer contact customer care and getting the vouchers that way.

Distract the masses with food, they won't complain I guess.
Old Jan 12, 14, 6:41 am

Programs: DL Diamond and Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by DLFan2 View Post
Checked in for my still on time flight from VPS to ATL and walked to the gate. The GA announced everyone was invited for free pizza and coffee at the adjacent gate. He said it was because of flight ,delays today. Thanks, Delta!
Ah, but here's the major question. Did you eat it with your hands or with a knife and fork?
Old Jan 12, 14, 7:52 am

Originally Posted by aviatorzz View Post
This, IIRC, is DL's new way of easing a delay without handing out meal vouchers. Sounds like DL is trying out new things to save money, which started out with the travel vouchers. I remember a few years ago getting a $150 voucher for a 6+ hour mechanical. A few years later, same timeframe of a delay I was handed a $50 voucher. A few months ago, I wasn't given anything for an overnight other than a hotel. I spoke with a very nice lady at a station out east about this and she told me that they were a test bed for this new incentive of not handing out any vouchers and letting the customer contact customer care and getting the vouchers that way.

Distract the masses with food, they won't complain I guess.
Not to mention that some people won't take the time to call and complain so Delta won't have to shell out as much money in vouchers versus them automatically giving them out to everybody on the flight
Old Jan 12, 14, 7:03 pm

Programs: UA,DL
When I flew on SEA-PVG and we were delayed for 6+hrs for mechanical we didn't get anything from DL.
Old Jan 21, 14, 9:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott-Gold
Originally Posted by DLFan2 View Post
Checked in for my still on time flight from VPS to ATL and walked to the gate. The GA announced everyone was invited for free pizza and coffee at the adjacent gate. He said it was because of flight ,delays today. Thanks, Delta!
Thats awesome. Cannot imagine this happening on UA...
Old Mar 27, 14, 5:57 pm

6hr delay nets pax pizza (but only at the gate!)

So I've been in the Sky Club for about five hours due to creeping delays on DL159 DTW TO ICN. It's now 8pm and we're rescheduled for 10:45pm - 7 hour delay. This was due first due to mx and then (last three hours) crew. So at 7:30 I ask if there's any dinner coupons offered and I'm told they are serving pizza at the gate, which is a fair hike from the Sky Club so I don't bother checking it out.

Would be nice if they offered BE pax something a little better in place of the nice meal we were expecting on the aircraft.
Old Mar 27, 14, 6:25 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA PLT, Hertz PC
I completely agree. Pizza for a 2-3 hour domestic delay is appropriate. Pizza for 7 hours TPAC delay, especially when it's Delta's fault (mechanical) is absurd, especially for BE passengers. How does pizza hold anyone over for 7 hours when you're only going to get a slice or two?

Big fail on DL's part IMO, though I hope DL did right by you and gave substantial miles or e-cert voucher.
Old Mar 27, 14, 6:42 pm

Programs: DL GM, AMEX Business Platinum, AMEX Delta Reserve, DL SkyClub Member, Choice PM
Originally Posted by clr4t8koff View Post
I completely agree. Pizza for a 2-3 hour domestic delay is appropriate. Pizza for 7 hours TPAC delay, especially when it's Delta's fault (mechanical) is absurd, especially for BE passengers. How does pizza hold anyone over for 7 hours when you're only going to get a slice or two?

Big fail on DL's part IMO, though I hope DL did right by you and gave substantial miles or e-cert voucher.
Pizza for 7 hours TPAC delay, especially when it's Delta's fault (mechanical) is absurd, especially for passengers in ANY Class!
Old Mar 27, 14, 7:07 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, DL Sil, UA Sil, Hyatt Global, MR Amb, Hilton Diamond, National Exec, Hertz Pres
As much as MX delays happen, you would think that Delta would be better at handling it.

I had a 5+ hour MX delay on March 15, BHM-MCO. They immediately brought out a snack cart, but within short order it was gone -- and that was it. Nothing else.

At least in your case, you got pizza at the gate.
Old Mar 27, 14, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, MR Gold, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Wonder if this is one of the motivations for getting rid of meal vouchers for IROPS. I'm sure DL can contract for pizza at the gate at a much lower cost than giving $10 meal vouchers to the whole plane. Plus it's more visible to pax, and thus perhaps keeps the masses happier, even though they're getting less.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: