Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Updates to Delta Sky Club membership Options

Old Jan 10, 2014, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: bgriff
Summary of Changes and Frequently Asked Questions

These changes are effective May 1, 2014

This topic is a prime candidate for Wikipost. Let's see if we can't pull one together incorporating the details of the changes, as well as DLCorpGirl's responses to some of our questions.

SkyClub membership has been split into two tiers: Executive and Individual.

Executive members may guest two individuals, or immediate family (spouse + children under 21) without additional charge. Executive members may guest up to 2 additional individuals for $29 each per visit.

Individual members must pay for all guests. Individual members may guest up to 2 individuals, or immediate family (spouse + children under 21) for $29 each per visit.

Lifetime Memberships will be converted to Lifetime Executive Memberships, per DLCorpGal.

30 Day Skyclub Pass - this has been discontinued per Delta contacts.

American Express Delta Reserve and American Express Platinum or Centurion Card (not American Express Delta Platinum co-branded credit card, but American Express non-branded Platinum Charge Card) members may guest up to 2 individuals, or immediate family (spouse + children under 21) for $29 each per visit.

The fee for the Delta Gold American Express and Delta Platinum American Express cardmembers will increase to $29 per visit, per DLCorpGal.

Diamond Medallions may upgrade to an Executive Membership as a Choice Benefit or by using miles or cash to pay the difference. No confirmation on miles, but the cash difference is confirmed to be $145 if done by 3/1/15 per DLCorpGal. NOTE: Diamond Medallions have Executive Membership until 2/28/15. After this date, they will have Individual Membership by default.

Alaska Board Room membership is a workaround as of 1/15/14 for $450 1 year - $1050 3 years and includes 2 guests FREE or family. Note, however, that the AS/DL relationship isn't as good as it used to be and there's no guarantee that the Board Room/SkyClub reciprocity relationship will continue as it currently exists. -- As of February 2015 AS club membership no longer includes guests at Delta lounges.
Print Wikipost

Updates to Delta Sky Club membership Options

Old Jan 10, 2014, 7:25 am

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by DLCorpGal
Hi there -
regarding your comment about access to members with families. A member with the Executive Membership may bring immediate family (spouse or domestic partner and children under 21 years of age) OR up to two (2) guests into the Delta Sky Club, provided that Delta determines that adequate space exists.

DLCorpGal
Though they pay more, the loophole still exists... My opinion is that it should just be 2 guests regardless... It is a little unbalanced when I can bring 2 guests, but Mike Brady can bring in the whole Brady Klan...

Glad to see the reduction of guests on AMEX.

Will the complimentary F&B selections now improve? (I know, I got quite a chuckle my self when I wrote that )

Regardless, thank you for the update.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 7:25 am

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
All,
Beginning May 1, 2014, all customers who receive complimentary Delta Sky Club access as a benefit of their eligible credit or charge card will no longer receive complimentary guest access. A $29 fee per guest Club visit will apply.
Please clarify if this is only for DL co-branded cards or if it does indeed in the Platinum Card from American Express (non-DL branded).

Thanks.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 7:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Hi there -
regarding your comment about access to members with families. A member with the Executive Membership may bring immediate family (spouse or domestic partner and children under 21 years of age) OR up to two (2) guests into the Delta Sky Club, provided that Delta determines that adequate space exists.

DLCorpGal
IMO this is a HUGE mistake and will continue to diminish the attractiveness of SC memberships and indeed the entire SC experience. A big part of the current problem is the number of families who gain entry (although I sometimes suspect through the use of GroupOn etc. offers) and then fail to attempt to control their children, after taking over entire sections of the lounge and using far more seats than the number adults and kids in their party.
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
Originally Posted by flyerwma
Slightly off topic, but this -- combined with the recent announcement of no AA or US lounges (and the prior no UA lounges -- really knocks down the value of the AMEX Plat card.....
This is the issue for me.

Programs: DL PM, 1MM, DL SC, Kimpton Inner Circle
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
...we could have a decent lounge experience, at least if one avoids the F&B.
This is the other big issue for me. I don't expect sushi and custom omelets in a mass-market club like the SC's, but with the increase in price I really hope for something better what they currently offer. I think the KLM lounges in AMS are a good example of a middle-ground of food and beverage offerings that would be a huge improvement.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 7:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
I travel with my wife a half dozen times a year and take her into the lounge, via Delta Reserve Card. I was debating dropping the card, and based on this, I may as well cancel.

Nice job Delta.

I wonder how AMEX is taking this news?
Old Jan 10, 2014, 7:28 am

This essentially makes the lounge for business travelers. I can't imagine anyone paying to get children in here. I also really can't imagine anyone paying for the $695 membership unless they always travel with a partner or spouse. And even then, $695 buys an awful lot of drinks in a nicer setting than most SkyClubs. Hmm, it really seems as if the change might result in fewer memberships but better retention by the high volume business travelers?
Old Jan 10, 2014, 7:28 am

Programs: DL DM, ICH Plat
I am interested in how the situation will be handled where a 3 year membership was purchased, but Diamond has extended that significantly. (Similar to the lifetime discussion).
Old Jan 10, 2014, 7:29 am

Programs: DM/3MM
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
NO

The T&C say that people can still bring their ENTIRE family in lieu of two guests, so the brats running around and screaming problem won't be solved.
That's how I read it as well. I thought this was great until I read that...
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Personally, I'd appreciate simply having wrapped food such a little packages of crackers to go with the wrapped cheese and the baby plastic bags of baby carrots. I cringe every time I see the big jars of snack food that everyone and their brats have already touched.
Formerly known as scootr29

I guess Delta really wants me to cancel my Delta Reserve card....so I pay $450 a year for an occasional "upgrade" and now I will have to pay $29 for my wife to join me in the Sky Club so we can get some mixed nuts and an apple.....OK.

Programs: DL PM, 1MM, DL SC, Kimpton Inner Circle
Originally Posted by Crazyhotelguy
It is a little unbalanced when I can bring 2 guests, but Mike Brady can bring in the whole Brady Klan...
, but sadly apparently still true.

Programs: Delta DM and 2 MM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Two questions:

I have a membership that currently lasts till 2017, due to having bought 3 years before getting DM extensions. Will those years already paid for count as Executive or (as I suspect) Individual for future years after this one?

Also, when traveling internationally as Skyteam Elite Plus, will one still be allowed to bring in a guest?

Originally Posted by flyerslc
This essentially makes the lounge for business travelers. I can't imagine anyone paying to get children in here. I also really can't imagine anyone paying for the $695 membership unless they always travel with a partner or spouse. And even then, $695 buys an awful lot of drinks in a nicer setting than most SkyClubs. Hmm, it really seems as if the change might result in fewer memberships but better retention by the high volume business travelers?
Well Northwest ran the WorldClubs has a business traveler's club. Delta saw $$$ signs.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 7:30 am

Programs: DL PM, DL MM
Next up....Passengers flying on "Award Tickets" In J will also be banned from the clubs.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.