Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Updates to Delta Sky Club membership Options

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 10, 2014, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: bgriff
Summary of Changes and Frequently Asked Questions

These changes are effective May 1, 2014

This topic is a prime candidate for Wikipost. Let's see if we can't pull one together incorporating the details of the changes, as well as DLCorpGirl's responses to some of our questions.

SkyClub membership has been split into two tiers: Executive and Individual.

Executive members may guest two individuals, or immediate family (spouse + children under 21) without additional charge. Executive members may guest up to 2 additional individuals for $29 each per visit.

Individual members must pay for all guests. Individual members may guest up to 2 individuals, or immediate family (spouse + children under 21) for $29 each per visit.

Lifetime Memberships will be converted to Lifetime Executive Memberships, per DLCorpGal.

30 Day Skyclub Pass - this has been discontinued per Delta contacts.

American Express Delta Reserve and American Express Platinum or Centurion Card (not American Express Delta Platinum co-branded credit card, but American Express non-branded Platinum Charge Card) members may guest up to 2 individuals, or immediate family (spouse + children under 21) for $29 each per visit.

The fee for the Delta Gold American Express and Delta Platinum American Express cardmembers will increase to $29 per visit, per DLCorpGal.

Diamond Medallions may upgrade to an Executive Membership as a Choice Benefit or by using miles or cash to pay the difference. No confirmation on miles, but the cash difference is confirmed to be $145 if done by 3/1/15 per DLCorpGal. NOTE: Diamond Medallions have Executive Membership until 2/28/15. After this date, they will have Individual Membership by default.

Alaska Board Room membership is a workaround as of 1/15/14 for $450 1 year - $1050 3 years and includes 2 guests FREE or family. Note, however, that the AS/DL relationship isn't as good as it used to be and there's no guarantee that the Board Room/SkyClub reciprocity relationship will continue as it currently exists. -- As of February 2015 AS club membership no longer includes guests at Delta lounges.
Print Wikipost

Updates to Delta Sky Club membership Options

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2014, 7:37 am

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Crazyhotelguy
Though they pay more, the loophole still exists... My opinion is that it should just be 2 guests regardless... It is a little unbalanced when I can bring 2 guests, but Mike Brady can bring in the whole Brady Klan...

Glad to see the reduction of guests on AMEX.

Will the complimentary F&B selections now improve? (I know, I got quite a chuckle my self when I wrote that )

Regardless, thank you for the update.
So your one of those people who discriminates against those of use with more than 2 kids?

Nice to see Delta doesnt share your opinion. Thank you Delta.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 7:37 am

Programs: DM/3MM
Originally Posted by DLCorpGal
Hi there -
regarding your comment about access to members with families. A member with the Executive Membership may bring immediate family (spouse or domestic partner and children under 21 years of age) OR up to two (2) guests into the Delta Sky Club, provided that Delta determines that adequate space exists.

DLCorpGal
DLCorpGal, can you clarify if an Individual Member will (or not) be allowed to bring in the immediate family? The asterisks on the website seemed to indicate that this is so.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 7:38 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: 1K 1MM; Bonvoy Ambassador; Nat'l EE; Hertz PC; Hyatt Globalist
As long as the drink and food selections get better I'm all for this change! ^^

Programs: Skymiles PM 2009-2012
The straw that broke the camel's back. As a semi-frequent flyer, I was happy to pay $450 a year to cover my costs, assuming my partner could join me. This tips the scales. Combined with the general decline in the quality of experience, I'm out.

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Titanium
Does this mean they will bring the drink selections back to something decent? Or will these be tiered as well?

"Executive members will continue to enjoy the finest in mid-shelf spirits and domestic beers, while individual members will have their choice of Natural Light in a can or Mr. Boston's fine selection of products."
Old Jan 10, 2014, 7:39 am

Programs: Delta Diamond 2MM, AA EXP
Nice move DL. Keep up the "exclusivity" enhancements. All these changes are coming think and fast, wonder what's next?
I'm already decided on 95% DL this year, last year 60/40 DL/AA $35k/$20k
Most going to DL this year because of changes like this. Keep up the good work.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 7:40 am

Programs: AAdvantage, BA Executive Club
Any thoughts on there being a response from American Express? Back to back devaluations of Platinum..

Programs: Delta
They only have themselves to blame for the overcrowding. Maybe they should stop selling access to the Sky Clubs on delta.com and deltavacations.com to anyone who buys a ticket. They found a way to make some extra bucks on their websites but then it caused the overcrowding issues. So those of us who are loyal to Delta are once again penalized for their bad decisions.

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Delta Kryptonium Medallion, National Executive
Originally Posted by oh912flyer
So your one of those people who discriminates against those of use with more than 2 kids?

Nice to see Delta doesnt share your opinion. Thank you Delta.
So you're one of those who expects the rest of us to subsidize your lack of birth control? See there? It works both ways.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 7:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by plagwate
But DM children NEVER misbehave. It's all those AMEX Platinum and Groupon kids who are running around like wild animals. Can't you tell just by looking at them?

/sarcasm
IME the AmEx Plat kids are the best of the bunch, then DM offspring and Reserve card families are about the same, then SC member offspring, and the worst are the GroupOn bunch. Maybe the problem is that those who plan to travel with large families are most likely to buy the SC membership versus the elite credit cards having financial requirements and other benefits beyond SC use by the whole gang.

Programs: Delta Skymiles
AMEX still listing lounge access

I'm currently PM dropping to GM (after a 3 years DM). Travel change from xcountry/europe to short hops and only 15-20 trips/year.

Already coming in for a hard landing on the loss of privileges, but thought "at least I got the DR AMEX so I got the lounge access still".

Wow, just wow.

So my $450 DR AMEX now gets me
-companion ticket, bags, and some bonus miles

So question becomes, whats the best non-airline branded travel points CC.

BTW, AMEX is still listing lounge access as DR card benefit.

Sigh.

Programs: Non-Affiliated
Originally Posted by DLCorpGal
All,
Even with more than $50 million in investments over the last several years, to renovate and expand seating in existing Clubs and build new Delta Sky Clubs across the system, our customers, including many of you on FlyerTalk, tell us the Clubs can be overcrowded.

To alleviate this problem and maintain the more exclusive atmosphere our Club members continue to tell us they expect, we are making changes to the Delta Sky Club program.

• Effective immediately, membership cost is $695 annually. This Executive Membership will continue to allow two complimentary guests.
• For those customers who rarely need guest access, an Individual Membership at the current rate of $450 will be introduced in Spring 2014. This membership will allow guest access for $29 per guest Club visit.
• Beginning May 1, 2014, all customers who receive complimentary Delta Sky Club access as a benefit of their eligible credit or charge card will no longer receive complimentary guest access. A $29 fee per guest Club visit will apply.

Members who qualified for Diamond Medallion® status in 2013 for the 2014 Medallion year will continue to receive an Executive Membership through the end of the 2014 Medallion year (February 28, 2015). Members who qualify for Diamond Medallion status in 2014 for the 2015 Medallion year will receive an Executive Membership valid from time of Diamond Medallion qualification through February 28, 2015 and an Individual Membership valid from March 1, 2015 through January 31, 2016. Diamond Medallion members who receive an Individual Membership can upgrade to the Executive Membership via Choice Benefits, miles or cash. Diamond Medallion members who wish to purchase an Executive Membership will receive a $100 discount off the $695 Executive Membership price until March 1, 2015.

Please find all details here.

Thanks,
DLCorpGal
So for $700 a year, I can continue to enjoy Gordon's. Seriously, how can you post this bull-plop with a straight face?
Old Jan 10, 2014, 7:42 am

Programs: DL GM, FL A+ Elite, WN A List
How about rules for Sky Team elite member flying with non medallion spouse on an International Itinerary?
Old Jan 10, 2014, 7:43 am

Programs: DL DM, AA GE, CP ED
Question Question re: diff between email and this post

Thanks for keeping us posted DLCorpGal!

Like many others, I think these changes make sense.

The email I received noted the following (bold formatting is by me):
Diamond Medallion® members will continue to enjoy complimentary Executive Membership through the 2014 Medallion year. If you qualify for 2015 Diamond Medallion status, you will receive a complimentary Individual Membership beginning March 1, 2015. And, if guest access is a priority, you may upgrade to an Executive Membership as one of your Choice Benefits or by using miles or cash to pay the difference.

This suggest that next year we can upgrade with cash. How much? Would it be $695 minus the $100 Platinum discount minus the $450 value of the individual membership?
Old Jan 10, 2014, 7:43 am

Programs: Delta DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Starwood Gold, Hertz President's Circle, AVIS First
Delta Sky Club – No longer complimentary for eligible credit or charge card

I just received an Email from Delta regarding new Sky Club changes. Including the change below.

Beginning May 1, 2014, all customers who receive complimentary Delta Sky Club access as a benefit of their eligible credit or charge card will no longer receive complimentary guest access. A $29 fee per guest will apply.

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...17_AA004067_P0

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.