Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Updates to Delta Sky Club membership Options

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 10, 2014, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: bgriff
Summary of Changes and Frequently Asked Questions

These changes are effective May 1, 2014

This topic is a prime candidate for Wikipost. Let's see if we can't pull one together incorporating the details of the changes, as well as DLCorpGirl's responses to some of our questions.

SkyClub membership has been split into two tiers: Executive and Individual.

Executive members may guest two individuals, or immediate family (spouse + children under 21) without additional charge. Executive members may guest up to 2 additional individuals for $29 each per visit.

Individual members must pay for all guests. Individual members may guest up to 2 individuals, or immediate family (spouse + children under 21) for $29 each per visit.

Lifetime Memberships will be converted to Lifetime Executive Memberships, per DLCorpGal.

30 Day Skyclub Pass - this has been discontinued per Delta contacts.

American Express Delta Reserve and American Express Platinum or Centurion Card (not American Express Delta Platinum co-branded credit card, but American Express non-branded Platinum Charge Card) members may guest up to 2 individuals, or immediate family (spouse + children under 21) for $29 each per visit.

The fee for the Delta Gold American Express and Delta Platinum American Express cardmembers will increase to $29 per visit, per DLCorpGal.

Diamond Medallions may upgrade to an Executive Membership as a Choice Benefit or by using miles or cash to pay the difference. No confirmation on miles, but the cash difference is confirmed to be $145 if done by 3/1/15 per DLCorpGal. NOTE: Diamond Medallions have Executive Membership until 2/28/15. After this date, they will have Individual Membership by default.

Alaska Board Room membership is a workaround as of 1/15/14 for $450 1 year - $1050 3 years and includes 2 guests FREE or family. Note, however, that the AS/DL relationship isn't as good as it used to be and there's no guarantee that the Board Room/SkyClub reciprocity relationship will continue as it currently exists. -- As of February 2015 AS club membership no longer includes guests at Delta lounges.
Print Wikipost

Updates to Delta Sky Club membership Options

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2014, 8:20 am

Programs: Delta PM; Sheraton's Vistana BOD; SPG Gold
I travel either alone or with my wife. Taking away my wife's access is a slap in the face.

Wudda, shudda, cudda... Delta should have allowed one guest only with the individual membership. That would have been a fair compromise. Instead the pencil pushers decided on a plan which infuriates thousands of loyal customers and will ultimately lead to loss of revenue as memberships and credit cards are canceled.

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K, AA EXP, US G, SPG P, HH D, MR G, NEXUS/GE, DL AMEX Reserve
Originally Posted by mbaker0936
Quote:

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist

IME the AmEx Plat kids are the best of the bunch, then DM offspring and Reserve card families are about the same, then SC member offspring, and the worst are the GroupOn bunch. Maybe the problem is that those who plan to travel with large families are most likely to buy the SC membership versus the elite credit cards having financial requirements and other benefits beyond SC use by the whole gang.

Do you just type to type? This has to be one of the worst stereotype post I have ever seen unless you are asking for how people entered when you see them with kids. Thats all whole different thread then.
I agree with MSPEconomist.

Programs: Delta Plat, IHG Plat, Marriott Silver
Is the $25 for DL Amex Plat holders going up also? If not it would be cheaper for my wife to pay with her DL Plat card than it would be for me to pay the $29 guest fee as a Reserve card holder.

Programs: DL PM, Amex DL Reserve, Starwood Gold
Amex Skymiles Reserve card downgraded to Skymiles Platinum. Amex agent said their call volume this morning was spiking and was thankful that I explained to her why this is happening. Looks like Amex is a big loser for this change. Luckily the agent made the downgrade process very easy.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 8:21 am
[INACTIVE] Company Representative - Delta Air Lines
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DLroads
DLCorpGal,

Thank you for the posting. What is the status of current memberships? are those memberships remaining in the Executive status through the end of the current expiration date, or are those converted into 'individual level' memberships?

(e.g. are memberships that were purchased or earned under condition "A" converted into memberships under condition "A-"?)
All existing memberships will be converted to the Executive Membership option on January 10, 2014. The terms of members’ current contracts (including guest access) will be honored until expiration. Upon expiration, members can renew based on the options available.

Originally Posted by eturowski
You can pack a Wal-Mart with as many rich businessmen as you'd like, but if the management is still pushing cheap booze and stale carrots, it's never going to be "nice."

I don't have a problem paying more for equal quality to cut down on crowding, but jacking up prices in light of the MANY recent cost cutting moves by DL is just plain skeevy.
THIS!

I hardly use the clubs anymore, even though I'm entitled to them with my J tickets. When Heineken is the "best" complimentary beverage on tap I'll pass. (I'm still bitter about losing the NW craft and local beers in air and at clubs). Add to that the fact that public restaurants in the terminal are quieter and enforce keeping children in check FTW.

Maybe if the reduction in people increases the product I'll check it out again.

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by pwhatl
Amex Reserve card holder here...I could understand limited card holders to one guest. Gouging me for $29 each time I want my wife to be able to join me, after I'm already paying $450 is just ridiculous. Most years the 30k mqm bonus gets me to Gold status which is nearly worthless these days. I've been Gold for 2 years and have received exactly zero upgrades. I will most definitely be downgrading to the Gold card or possibly cancelling altogether. Nice job Delta.
Agree. This demonstrates a LACK of imagination and ingenuity of the team working on this. Delta could have taken an approach to only allow one or two guests for Reserve Card holders who maintain Gold or higher status. This would have potentially increased card membership and usage, which provides $$ to DL.

Hitting us for $29 feels cheap, and is another reason that I am getting closer to considering other airlines for travel. Especially given the JFK T4 debacle of having to walk 20 mins to a gate and having only one club that is more of an al-la-carte restaurant with tons of staff aiming to upsell every member that goes in.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 8:22 am

Programs: Delta DM and 2 MM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by javabytes
From the linked page: "All current one- and three-year single or joint memberships will be considered Executive and will receive complimentary access to Delta Sky Club for the member and up to two guests or their immediate family per visit, provided that Delta determines that adequate space exists, until membership expiration."
OK, thanks. I will assume then that I am "grandfathered" into an Executive membership till my current Club expiration date of Feb 2017, while if I hit DM again next year, the additional year added on (2017-2018) would be individual level.

Would be nice if DL can verify this general policy of add-on years.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 8:23 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by DLCorpGal
Centurion, Platinum and Delta Reserve card holders will still receive complimentary access for themselves and there will be a $29 per guest visit fee (max 2 guests).
I am a Platinum Medallion who holds both a Delta Reserve Card and American Express Platinum Card, is there really no option for me to get my kids in when they travel with me other than paying $29 each or paying $695 a year for an Executive Membership? Seems like there should be an option for American Express Platinum and Delta Reserve card holders to 'upgrade' to Executive membership.

Programs: Hilton Diamond
I purchased a SkyClub membership this Monday with the SJN10 discount so it looks like I lucked out timing wise. I realize the whole children tropic has become a bone of contention and I think many of us who do not like kids operate under the assertion (right or wrong) that Executive Lounges (be it airline or hotels) and First Class should be kid free. As a result, when we encounter children in those areas I think there is a tendancy to overstate/overdramatize it.

Programs: DL PM
I encourage all Reserve Card holders to write in to Delta with their complaints: https://www.delta.com/contactus/page...ent_complaint/

Programs: DL 2.8 MM/PM, AA MM/GLD, Marriott LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by FC flyer
Skybonus is still there, but now 160,000 points instead of 100,000
Interesting. It definitely was not there when I posted earlier. They must have just updated the site.

Originally Posted by mnredfox
Nearly every other ST lounge internationally serves more and better stuff than DL does.
Domestic lounges, too - UA clubs, notably. Even after liquor downgrades, most competitors offer better consumables.

Rollover miles detonated club overcrowding. There's your #1 culprit.
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by LBJ
I think many folks are misreading the change for Plat Amex/Reserve card holders. The $29 fee only applies to guests, not to you when entering individually.
Yeah that's how I read it as well. If they took away complementary access for the cardholder I would never fly Delta. The lounge access is the only perk for me when I'm on Delta. Though after they started charging for Sweetwater when in ATL that annoyed me. Now all I get are DL cookies.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 8:24 am

Programs: Now just a lowly DL PM/1MM. This industry needs some competition. It's just not enjoyable anymore.
At least this may cut down on the "can someone guest me in?" requests we see here from time to time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.