Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Updates to Delta Sky Club membership Options

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 10, 2014, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: bgriff
Summary of Changes and Frequently Asked Questions

These changes are effective May 1, 2014

This topic is a prime candidate for Wikipost. Let's see if we can't pull one together incorporating the details of the changes, as well as DLCorpGirl's responses to some of our questions.

SkyClub membership has been split into two tiers: Executive and Individual.

Executive members may guest two individuals, or immediate family (spouse + children under 21) without additional charge. Executive members may guest up to 2 additional individuals for $29 each per visit.

Individual members must pay for all guests. Individual members may guest up to 2 individuals, or immediate family (spouse + children under 21) for $29 each per visit.

Lifetime Memberships will be converted to Lifetime Executive Memberships, per DLCorpGal.

30 Day Skyclub Pass - this has been discontinued per Delta contacts.

American Express Delta Reserve and American Express Platinum or Centurion Card (not American Express Delta Platinum co-branded credit card, but American Express non-branded Platinum Charge Card) members may guest up to 2 individuals, or immediate family (spouse + children under 21) for $29 each per visit.

The fee for the Delta Gold American Express and Delta Platinum American Express cardmembers will increase to $29 per visit, per DLCorpGal.

Diamond Medallions may upgrade to an Executive Membership as a Choice Benefit or by using miles or cash to pay the difference. No confirmation on miles, but the cash difference is confirmed to be $145 if done by 3/1/15 per DLCorpGal. NOTE: Diamond Medallions have Executive Membership until 2/28/15. After this date, they will have Individual Membership by default.

Alaska Board Room membership is a workaround as of 1/15/14 for $450 1 year - $1050 3 years and includes 2 guests FREE or family. Note, however, that the AS/DL relationship isn't as good as it used to be and there's no guarantee that the Board Room/SkyClub reciprocity relationship will continue as it currently exists. -- As of February 2015 AS club membership no longer includes guests at Delta lounges.
Print Wikipost

Updates to Delta Sky Club membership Options

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2014, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You are misreading. Eligible AMEX holders still get complimentary access individually. It's only their guests that are charged $29. They probably should have worded this announcement more carefully as there seems to be a massive amount of confusion.

Last edited by xliioper; Jan 10, 2014 at 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
I'm a bit confused by the info on DL's webpage. First:

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...ship-fees.html

Lists DM's can buy executive membership for $595 ($695 -$100 discount) or 80K miles "until March 1, 2015". Why would any DM pay for that now, I thought all DM's get executive membership til that date? Are the prices going to change at that date?

Secondly, here:
http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...d-updates.html

Why is there a 60K mile rate listed for DM's under individual membership? I thought it was complimentary when it starts in March 2015?

Lastly, love the little disclaimer under executive membership that you can guest 2 but only "provided that Delta determines that adequate space exists".

That'll go over real well.
[INACTIVE] Company Representative - Delta Air Lines
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TrojanTraveler
DLCorpGal, can you clarify if an Individual Member will (or not) be allowed to bring in the immediate family? The asterisks on the website seemed to indicate that this is so.
No, individual members are allowed a maximum of 2 guests at $29 per guest visit.

Programs: Atlanta's hometown airline. A bunch of hotel programs. PetSmart PetPerks.
Originally Posted by javabytes
If you're still set on accessing the SC, I would just get him an additional card so he can get himself in. Unless that's also being affected in some way that I missed.
Thanks, hadn't thought of that. Still a $300 fee, but since it's through my (one-person) business I suppose I could name him Exec. VP for Travel & Logistics w a $300 annual salary. Was trying to figure out a 'free' work around, especially if the changes don't come w upgraded food/beverage as others have commented.
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
And as I complain, the SkyClub agent has just jumped over quite a few hurdles to handle a last-minute IRROPS situation, reminding me of the real value of club access.

I'll still likely cancel. Not being able to use the club with my family without paying an extra $87 per visit is really a deal-breaker.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 8:15 am

Programs: PC Plat. Ambassador, DL PM
Sky Club "Enhancement"

The clubs are overcrowded and I am all for a price-hike to alleviate the problem.

However, the price-hike coupled with the downgrade of offerings (crap beer, wine and liquor selection unless you pay extra for the "luxury" bar) make me feel nickle and dimed. If Gordon's, carrots and pretzels are "exclusive," count me out.

Delta is doubling the price for a platinum member and the only added benefit is now you have a better chance of getting a seat... something that should have been guaranteed at the old price point. Bravo.

Also, there is no longer an option to renew a joint membership.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 8:16 am

Programs: DL DM, MARRIOTT AMBASSADOR LIFETIME TITANIUM
Originally Posted by DavidAL
+1
+1

Msp, we get it. You don't like kids in lounges and F/J cabins. I personally don't like the jerks that scream on their cell phones in lounges about how important this "deal" is to close, or how awesome their hot new 20 year old girlfriend is. If they should revoke kids from coming in, revoke jerks that talk to loud and drink to much.
I believe there is a difference of what some of us are saying. Not saying don't let the kids in but have the parents pay a fee just like we are paying a fee for a partner, spouse, etc over the limit of guest. Just because you have kids, do you get them all in free at Disneyland? No everyone pays an entry fee.

Programs: DL Diamond and Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by TrojanTraveler
Well said. I just don't get it. It's either an exercise in poorly executed marketing, or just another way to extract money and offer less. I truly hope it's the former.
Either option does not reflect well on Delta.

Originally Posted by ScottinMEM
Looks like I picked the wrong week to upgrade to the Reserve card.
You should be able to call and cancel.
But if you spend $60K on it, you still get 20,000 RDMs, 30,000 MQMs, a companion cert, and the Choice Benefits from any extra status the card allows you to achieve.

Programs: Delta Plat, IHG Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by DLCorpGal
Centurion, Platinum and Delta Reserve card holders will still receive complimentary access for themselves and there will be a $29 per guest visit fee (max 2 guests).
Is that a per visit fee or a per day/trip fee? If I'm traveling with my wife, it would be absolutely ridiculous to make me pay $29 for departure airport access, then another $29 for for connecting airport access, then another $29 if we leave for food then come back, then another $29 if our flight changes gates so we have to move to a different club...
Old Jan 10, 2014, 8:17 am

Programs: AAdvantage, BA Executive Club
Originally Posted by PRWeezer
Can I 'buy' my husband a Club membership w my miles, or would I have to transfer them to his account first (w a fee)? I have an AMEX Plat to get in & plenty of miles to burn to get around the fee to guest him in...though my guess is it's not as easy as 'paying' w my miles or others would have suggested it as a work around.
This doesn't address your question exactly but there is also the option of up to three more cardholders for Amex Platinum for $175. May be an alternative solution.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 8:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
With hopefully fewer people using SCs, can we please have some of the private cubicles back, especially at DTW and MSP F/G?

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Jan 10, 2014 at 8:40 am
Old Jan 10, 2014, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by LBJ
I think you are making assumptions here. Not clear at all that those who prepaid for memberships will drop down from the Exec level when their DM benefit runs out. They say they will honor those who had 1 year and 3 year memberships at the Exec level.
I too have SC membership beyond my DM status that DL continues to correctly print my SC membership expiration correctly on my card (what I had plus the DM extension). Wonder what will happen.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 8:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by plagwate
And you've determined this how? Do you posses some type of superpower that allows you to determine one's SkyClub entry credentials just by looking at them (or their family members)? Tell us more!
I was responding to your "/sarcasm" post that I quoted. Sorry that it's too hard to insert smileys when not posting from a computer.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by RichMSN
And as I complain, the SkyClub agent has just jumped over quite a few hurdles to handle a last-minute IRROPS situation, reminding me of the real value of club access.

I'll still likely cancel. Not being able to use the club with my family without paying an extra $87 per visit is really a deal-breaker.
Actually it's worse than this. Maximum of two guests means I can't bring my family in at all without canceling my DL Reserve and buying and Executive Membership.

I can't believe how family-unfriendly all this is. I travel for business and appreciate the club most the one time of the year I'm traveling for leisure. OK, enough kvetching. Time to move on completely and travel merely on the price / schedule of the flights like most of the flying public.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.