Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Dl 836 hnl to atl diverted back to hnl. Today

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2014, 1:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Plat, UA 1K

Aircraft still on the ground in Honolulu. Anyone know reason?
Old Jan 9, 2014, 3:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Someone wanted loco moco?

Hope nothing too extreme...
Old Jan 9, 2014, 5:54 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, UA 1K, AA Exec. Plat., DL DM, National E.E.
Originally Posted by SeattleRK

There was an indication that the cargo door was open after takeoff.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 5:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by SeattleRK
Too many of the special $50 tickets, or $80 for FC/BE light, were on board. DL was conducting an experiment to have them swim home among the sharks to eliminate some gamers.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 6:06 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Too many of the special $50 tickets, or $80 for FC/BE light, were on board. DL was conducting an experiment to have them swim home among the sharks to eliminate some gamers.
LOL
Old Jan 9, 2014, 9:13 am

Programs: DL DM, Hilton Honors, Marriott Rewards, Hertz #1 Gold
If it isn't Boeing, I'm not going.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 9:36 am

Programs: Delta Reserve - PM
Originally Posted by bigsaabowski
There was an indication that the cargo door was open after takeoff.
So the little light on the dash only shows up once they're in the air? My freaking car won't shut the hell up if I leave the trunk or one of my other doors slightly ajar. Hard to imagine a $50M plane not having appropriate safety features.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 9:38 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, UA 1K, AA Exec. Plat., DL DM, National E.E.
Originally Posted by jtrue28
So the little light on the dash only shows up once they're in the air? My freaking car won't shut the hell up if I leave the trunk or one of my other doors slightly ajar. Hard to imagine a $50M plane not having appropriate safety features.
No, the indication came on after takeoff.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 9:52 am

Originally Posted by Buckshot
I still get a kick out of how so many people (not necessarily you) are partial to Boeing over Airbus, yet proudly show off their Japanese or German automobiles . Plenty of American engineering, innovation and parts in Airbus aircraft -- and fairly soon, plenty of labor as well.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 10:57 am

Programs: DL Pork Medallion, PP, GE
I prefer Boeing, not because it's an American company or anything like that, but because of the airplane itself. I'll take a control yoke and hand-flying any day over fly-by-wire sidesticks and almost complete automation. Not that Boeings don't feature a lot of those things (especially when it comes to features like autothrottles that can maintain precise monitoring and control for best fuel efficiency, among other things). But I know a lot of pilots who are very particular about what they want to fly, as well. You have the guys who want to punch on the autopilot after takeoff and take a nap, and then the guys who actually enjoy doing the flying themselves and hand fly as much as they can.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 12:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Originally Posted by Buckshot
yeah see how well that works too

Dream *cough* liner *cough*
Old Jan 9, 2014, 12:45 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by brocklee9000
I prefer Boeing, not because it's an American company or anything like that, but because of the airplane itself. I'll take a control yoke and hand-flying any day over fly-by-wire sidesticks and almost complete automation. Not that Boeings don't feature a lot of those things (especially when it comes to features like autothrottles that can maintain precise monitoring and control for best fuel efficiency, among other things). But I know a lot of pilots who are very particular about what they want to fly, as well. You have the guys who want to punch on the autopilot after takeoff and take a nap, and then the guys who actually enjoy doing the flying themselves and hand fly as much as they can.
Most on FT aren't the pilots of the planes, but the passengers. So for us, the most important things are usually the soft product - the seats, OH bin storage, etc. That is determined more by the airline than by the manufacturer anyway.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 12:59 pm

Programs: DL Pork Medallion, PP, GE
Originally Posted by fti
Most on FT aren't the pilots of the planes, but the passengers. So for us, the most important things are usually the soft product - the seats, OH bin storage, etc. That is determined more by the airline than by the manufacturer anyway.
Of course, I was just throwing out my own opinion on the matter, since I will hopefully be flying them some day. As far as being a passenger, my views are unintentionally skewed. The majority of my flights on Delta during the past two years have been almost all Boeing, probably 85% Boeing 10% Airbus 5% Canadair. The only difference I notice is that the domestic Airbuses don't have any form of IFE, whether it be overheads, PTVs, or in-seat audio channels. I also didn't know the Airbus seats were slightly narrower until reading through the thread yesterday about the upcoming refurbishments. I also haven't had the opportunity to travel on the widebody Airbuses. I guess since the A330s are newer, they might have been nicer that the 763s, but now that they're all refurbished, it's probably pretty comparable (aside from lie-flat vs angled lie-flat). And FWIW, every FA I've talked to has been very partial toward a particular plane. For some, it's the 757s, for others, they really like the A330s.

So I guess what I'm getting at is that as a passenger, I'm not too partial to either side, and after the domestic fleet is refreshed, I'll have even fewer reasons to be biased.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 1:10 pm

Programs: Delta Reserve - PM
Sat next to a airplane mechanic once...she overwhelmingly said she would never fly Airbus, unless she absolutely had to. If I remember correctly, it had something to do with the materials from which the planes are assembled from. (aluminum/steel vs composite/plastic/fiberglass)
Old Jan 9, 2014, 1:13 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by jtrue28
Sat next to a airplane mechanic once...she overwhelmingly said she would never fly Airbus, unless she absolutely had to. If I remember correctly, it had something to do with the materials from which the planes are assembled from. (aluminum/steel vs composite/plastic/fiberglass)
Well that argument goes down the tubes with the B787

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.