Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta invests in 225 narrowbody aircraft

Delta invests in 225 narrowbody aircraft

Old Jan 9, 14, 2:39 pm

An interview with a Delta executive about the upgrades

Last week, I visited Delta headquarters in Atlanta and spoke with Michael Henny, the airline's director of customer service experience. He foreshadowed a lot of the changes that were made this week. We even talked about LED lighting.

Readers here might find the interview interesting.

http://www.insidesocal.com/aviation/2014/01/09/a-delta-executive-speaks-with-l-a-airspace-about-the-airlines-recent-fleet-improvements/

- Brian Sumers
Airports and airlines reporter, Los Angeles News Group
Old Jan 9, 14, 4:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Delta 764 View Post
Not nearly as large as those on the Sky Interior or ISIS Interior. Furthermore, the PMDL 752s all have bin extensions which make their bins just as large as (if not larger than) those on the 738s. However, the PMNW 752s do not, and I assume DL wants both the PMDL and PMNW 752s to have consistent interiors.
Good point. I just assumed that if the DL 738s already had bins that permitted standard 22x14x9 bags to be placed wheels-first, and other planes in the fleet didn't yet have bins that permitted wheels-first stowage, then replacement bins for the 738s might be viewed as "wasteful" or unnecessary.

Originally Posted by pbarnette View Post
Might I offer that a failure to lead by the legacies was precisely what allowed JetBlue to flourish?
I'm sure that new upstarts like B6 were assisted by their cool technology like inseat IFE, but IMO, they flourished mainly due to their extremely low wages when they began, which permitted very low fares compared to AA, UA, DL, NW, CO or US.

TV and Blue Chips added to the experience, but the rock-bottom fares were the bigger driver. Remember when UPS experimented with weekend passenger service with its cargo planes? B6 could have flown similarly-configured planes and still been successful given its early fare structure.
Old Jan 23, 14, 5:47 pm

Programs: UA Silver   |   Former: DL Diamond, HA Pualani Gold
Originally Posted by bubbashow View Post
NW could afford them fine. NW was never an airline to outfit anything other than basic. The only "nice" plane in the NW fleet was the 330. Everything else was a basic seat with NOTHING else.

Personally, I am fine reading and working and don't understand the obsession with watching some bad television program or silly movie.
The primary issue for me isn't the lack of AVOD (though it's a little annoying on a 5+ hour flight), but that the seats in F suck. They're paper thin. I've flown paid F a number of times HNL-SEA and my ... hurts after the flight. I've never had that problem in another F seat.
Old Jan 27, 14, 8:16 am

Programs: DL Gold (2.5MM program miles), Airtran A+ Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
For streaming content and wi-fi, I see two issues that put Delta (and some others) at a disadvantage over some competitors: 1) pricing and 2) its reliance on Gogo's technology.

While DL continues to see streaming video as a revenue opportunity, I much prefer the Southwest approach: a dozen or more live TV channels from DISH, plus a selection of on-demand shows, all streamed to the passenger's own device, at no additional charge. Movies are also available but those require a fee. WN offers gate to gate wi-fi (as opposed to Gogo's 10,000 and up offering) for $8/day per device.

And the Southwest product works well. Even with numerous passengers streaming content simultaneously, I've never had a problem streaming content or experienced the slow service I often see when connected through Gogo.

Southwest's service is from Row44 and is branded with the Southwest name. Gogo service, besides being almost twice as expensive, is clunky at best.
Old Jan 27, 14, 8:31 am

Programs: DL Gold (2.5MM program miles), Airtran A+ Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by ReporterBrian View Post
Last week, I visited Delta headquarters in Atlanta and spoke with Michael Henny, the airline's director of customer service experience. He foreshadowed a lot of the changes that were made this week. We even talked about LED lighting.

Readers here might find the interview interesting.

http://www.insidesocal.com/aviation/2014/01/09/a-delta-executive-speaks-with-l-a-airspace-about-the-airlines-recent-fleet-improvements/

- Brian Sumers
Airports and airlines reporter, Los Angeles News Group

Brian, did you inquire if Delta is going to stick with touch screen IFE controls in the Slimline seat? The touch screen Delta offers today isn't very sensitive to touch; as a result, I will often be disturbed by the person behind me pressing ever harder and harder on their screen.

If this would be even more pronounced with the Slimline seat, that would be a BIG problem, at least for me.
Old Feb 23, 14, 7:58 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, MM, Lifetime Skyclub, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Avis First, Nexus/GE, IHG Gold
A320

Being based out of GEG, we get a lot of A320's. I sure wish DL would hurry up and add the last row of 1st. class. As a Plat, I've seen a big decrease in upgrades because of these out of GEG on Monday mornings.
Old Feb 23, 14, 8:02 pm

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, RC/MR/SPG Plat, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by gaugeguy View Post
Being based out of GEG, we get a lot of A320's. I sure wish DL would hurry up and add the last row of 1st. class. As a Plat, I've seen a big decrease in upgrades because of these out of GEG on Monday mornings.
Well, at least these changes are positive for you. For those if us that sit on 757s more than half the time, losing 2 rows of F is something I'll gladly wait on.
Old Feb 23, 14, 9:19 pm

Programs: DL, AA
Originally Posted by OldRoyal View Post
Brian, did you inquire if Delta is going to stick with touch screen IFE controls in the Slimline seat? The touch screen Delta offers today isn't very sensitive to touch; as a result, I will often be disturbed by the person behind me pressing ever harder and harder on their screen.

If this would be even more pronounced with the Slimline seat, that would be a BIG problem, at least for me.
Have you flown int'l or on 739s lately?

They are miles better in both touch sensitivity and speed than 757s and 738s.
Old Feb 24, 14, 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by bk42 View Post
Have you flown int'l or on 739s lately?

They are miles better in both touch sensitivity and speed than 757s and 738s.
and those 738 touch screens don't register your touch very accurately

for example, when playing the in-flight trivia game, sometimes my touch is registered on a completely different answer than the one i wanted. how am i going to beat the person in 13C if this keeps happening?!?!?!?!??!
Old Mar 4, 14, 9:58 pm

Courtesy of runwaygirl wrt ISIS product for DL narrowbody aircraft, http://www.runwaygirlnetwork.com/201...a320-interior/
Old Sep 30, 14, 12:42 pm

Programs: DL - GM (Sky Priority);HH - Gold; Marriott - Silver; National - Executive; DL Reserve AMEX
Any chance of a Wiki to track the 757-200 mods?
Old Nov 13, 14, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, WN A-List, HH Dia, Hyatt Plat, National ECE, Hertz PC
I was just looking at the thread on 757-300 mods, have any of the aircraft discussed in this thread been modified yet, it was announced over 10 months ago now, you'd like to think progress is being made ...
Old Nov 13, 14, 5:43 pm

Programs: AA Gold
http://www.airliners.net/aviation-fo....main/6228537/

This might have some info...
Old Nov 17, 14, 9:00 pm

any updates on the mods for the a319s?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: