Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta invests in 225 narrowbody aircraft

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta invests in 225 narrowbody aircraft

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2014, 8:28 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ND76
3. If DL were to go with 200 or more seats, they'd have to add an additional FA. It seems like a long, long time since DL employed more than the minimum FAs on a domestic flight (I'm thinking back to the 1980s when the Big D staffed the 148 seat 727-200s with 5 FAs).
Considering with this announcement DL is adding another aircraft with just over an increment of 50 seats (the A320 will now have 160 seats, requiring a fourth FA), they do not seem shy about requiring more staff. It may not seem like a big deal, but by adding those seats to the fleet of 69 A320's they will literally have to add hundreds of additional FA's (1 FA for every single flight of those 69 A320's).

Originally Posted by Bagels
I question DL's decision to expand PTVs, given that it will still not lead to a consistent product; I will still spend up to 5 hours on aircraft without PTVs on routes like DTW-SFO (a 320 favorite), DTW-MTY, etc. while some 7-year-old kid gets to watch Honey Boo Boo on his flight from ATL-MCO.
I question your assumption that once DL implements this large expansion of AVOD availability on narrowbodies that they will schedule non-AVOD aircraft on 5 hour flights.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 8:37 pm

Programs: DL-DM/2MM, MR-Plat, HH-Gold, Hertz-Prezi Club, Marriott-Gold, MHC
Excellent news. Although "slimline" seats sound like I better make good on New Years resolution to lose 20 pounds or have better luck with upgrades
Old Jan 8, 2014, 9:46 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, WF GoFar Rewards, AAdvantage, United MileagePlus
Here is a link confirming that all the new Y seats will be the B/E Aerospace Pinnacle:
http://www.runwaygirlnetwork.com/201...-narrowbodies/

Now, I wonder if the F seats will be the Weber/Zodiac 6810 or something else? Are there any other models of F seat that the Panasonic Eco 11i monitors are certified on?
Old Jan 8, 2014, 9:57 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by RICforme
Excellent news. Although "slimline" seats sound like I better make good on New Years resolution to lose 20 pounds or have better luck with upgrades
Note that slim refers to their profile front to back, not side to side ... and although they are slimline, the A319 and A320 will actually be getting wider seats from side to side with this refit.

That being said, based on my personal experience in the past few months I can confirm losing some pounds increases comfort in any airline seat, slimline or otherwise.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 10:25 pm

Programs: UA Gold   |   Former: DL Diamond, HA Pualani Gold
Originally Posted by n7371f
The remaining 757's are being retired. These a/c include the 5500 series ex-NWA and most of the PMDL a/c up to ship 685.
So, the 757-300s used on the SEA-HNL route are going to be retired? Ding dong the witch is dead. Those F seats are some of the most uncomfortable I've ever sat in. They're like slimline coach.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 1:44 am

Originally Posted by jkatzen
So, the 757-300s used on the SEA-HNL route are going to be retired? Ding dong the witch is dead. Those F seats are some of the most uncomfortable I've ever sat in. They're like slimline coach.
No the 757-300s will still be used on SEA - HNL. The 5500 series 757s are the 757-200s that were delivered to NW between 1985 & 1988. They are the 8 door version that look nearly identical on the outside to the 75Es that are used on JFK - SEA/LAX/SFO and some international flights aside from winglets. If i'm not mistaken the 757-300s are the youngest 757s in the DL fleet having been delivered new to NW between 2002 & 2004 and inherited a few years later by DL courtesy of the merger.

Last edited by JOSECONLSCREW28; Jan 9, 2014 at 2:08 am
Old Jan 9, 2014, 5:52 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
No the 757-300s will still be used on SEA - HNL. The 5500 series 757s are the 757-200s that were delivered to NW between 1985 & 1988. They are the 8 door version that look nearly identical on the outside to the 75Es that are used on JFK - SEA/LAX/SFO and some international flights aside from winglets. If i'm not mistaken the 757-300s are the youngest 757s in the DL fleet having been delivered new to NW between 2002 & 2004 and inherited a few years later by DL courtesy of the merger.
Yep, these were delivered in 2002 and 2003. Frankly, I find the 753s to be probably the worst aircraft in the fleet and it is plain from the cheap way this plane was kitted out that NW really couldn't afford these planes when they bought them.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 6:11 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by pbarnette
Yep, these were delivered in 2002 and 2003. Frankly, I find the 753s to be probably the worst aircraft in the fleet and it is plain from the cheap way this plane was kitted out that NW really couldn't afford these planes when they bought them.
NW could afford them fine. NW was never an airline to outfit anything other than basic. The only "nice" plane in the NW fleet was the 330. Everything else was a basic seat with NOTHING else.

Personally, I am fine reading and working and don't understand the obsession with watching some bad television program or silly movie.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 7:17 am

Programs: DL 2MM DM & My Wife is a DL 3MM DM
It looks like many of these FC cabins are being converted into the miserable experience of the new 739s. That is a bummer for coast to coast flights. Definitely a cattle-car feel. We've been on four flights to SFO on them, and--other than a good selection of movies--it's an unpleasant ride. We don't normally like bulkhead, but are going to try that on our future flights, to avoid having the seats in front of us jammed in our faces, and with a screen that doesn't tilt. Until they redo these other aircraft and ruin them too, we'll try to avoid the 739s as much as possible.

Also, every FA I've talked to hates working on them. That will make for good employee morale.:roll eyes:

And this is coming from a guy who usually has a positive outlook on things, and doesn't spend a lot of time in complaint.

Last edited by atl runner; Jan 9, 2014 at 7:36 am
Old Jan 9, 2014, 7:30 am

Programs: UA, DL, AA, LH
Dear DLCorpGuy- I would like to suggest that Delta add flip-down drink holder to the economy seat backs. Lufthansa has this on most of their planes, including regional jets. It allows me to keep a drink cup yet open my laptop in-flight. This is particularly valued on full flights.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 8:40 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, United Prem Exec
Originally Posted by pbarnette
Yes, NW's cheapness on these aircraft should not be overshadowed by DL's lavish, customer-oriented product offered on the (comparable mission length) domestic 767-300s. Those late 80s and early 90s vintage jets offer coach-wide first class seats, overhead video, and are the dream of every road warrior.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 8:42 am

Programs: DL PM, 1MM, DL SC, Kimpton Inner Circle
Originally Posted by TheMoose
...Those late 80s and early 90s vintage jets offer coach-wide first class seats, overhead video, and are the dream of every road warrior.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 8:45 am

Originally Posted by bubbashow
NW could afford them fine. NW was never an airline to outfit anything other than basic. The only "nice" plane in the NW fleet was the 330. Everything else was a basic seat with NOTHING else.

Personally, I am fine reading and working and don't understand the obsession with watching some bad television program or silly movie.
Consider what they were used for. They were bought as a replacement for the DC-10-40 on mainland US-Hawaii and high capacity hub-to-hub routes. This is similar to when Delta ordered the 767-400 in part to replace the remaining L1011 fleet. Also they were planned before the growth of airlines like JetBlue offering TV at every seat on domestic routes. By the time Delta was taking over Northwest it would have been time to consider upgrading the fleet, but by then Northwest was in bankruptcy
Old Jan 9, 2014, 8:57 am

Programs: DL - PM (Sky Priority);HH - Gold; Marriott - Silver; National - Executive; DL Reserve AMEX
Originally Posted by NorthFlyer
Dear DLCorpGuy- I would like to suggest that Delta add flip-down drink holder to the economy seat backs. Lufthansa has this on most of their planes, including regional jets. It allows me to keep a drink cup yet open my laptop in-flight. This is particularly valued on full flights.
LAN has these as well. Very nice.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 8:59 am

Programs: DL - PM (Sky Priority);HH - Gold; Marriott - Silver; National - Executive; DL Reserve AMEX
Originally Posted by OldRoyal
Hey, Corporate Guy: why does Delta continue to insist on installing AVOD systems with touchscreens, rather than armrest controls? It is bad enough that the touchscreens are difficult to use (the screens aren't very sensitive to touch) but it gets even worse when the kid in the row behind me keeps pressing the screen hard enough to be felt through my headrest.

I can only imagine the sensation when that same kid is pounding on his AVOD unit attached to the back of my new slimline seat. Oh, joy. If you are really interested in passenger comfort, go with the armrest controls, please!
+1000... ^^^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.