Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta invests in 225 narrowbody aircraft

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta invests in 225 narrowbody aircraft

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2014, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Delta 764
Interestingly, the article states that the 752 and A319/A320 fleet will be getting new larger overhead bins, but makes no mention of it for the 738. I wonder why DL isn't increasing overhead bin capacity on the 738.
I still wonder why the article doesn't mention the 738s getting new larger overhead bins. Are there any plans to have larger bins (such as the Zodiac Heath Tecna ISIS) on them? I find it strange that the 757s and A319/A320s will be getting larger bins but not the 738s.
Is it possible that the 738s already have bigger bins?
Old Jan 8, 2014, 12:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA 2MM, Bonvoy LT Plt, Mets fan
Does any US-based airline squeeze more than 199 into a 752?

SeatGuru lists Thomas Cook, Monarch, Thompson, FinnAir all over 220 (single-class seating), and AirChina at 200 (with 8 F), but this is a 7-12% increase over what DL now has.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 12:40 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, WF GoFar Rewards, AAdvantage, United MileagePlus
Originally Posted by FWAAA
Is it possible that the 738s already have bigger bins?
Not nearly as large as those on the Sky Interior or ISIS Interior. Furthermore, the PMDL 752s all have bin extensions which make their bins just as large as (if not larger than) those on the 738s. However, the PMNW 752s do not, and I assume DL wants both the PMDL and PMNW 752s to have consistent interiors.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 12:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by CO FF
Does any US-based airline squeeze more than 199 into a 752?

SeatGuru lists Thomas Cook, Monarch, Thompson, FinnAir all over 220 (single-class seating), and AirChina at 200 (with 8 F), but this is a 7-12% increase over what DL now has.
AA puts 184 in their 752s, and UA 182, but they have a larger Y+ cabin and larger F cabin, such that I doubt there would be an appreciable difference between a seat in any particular cabin on DL vs AA or UA, but that the breakdown will be different. Curious, though, how long AA's premium-heavy configuration will last given the markedly different configurations coming from the US side of the merger.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by pbarnette
Thanks for the updates. Some of these are bit wait and see (e.g. will the seats chosen be comfortable), but good to see the commitment toward trying to improve the customer experience.
+1

Originally Posted by Beckles
Addition of AVOD to three of the four is a big plus though!
Agreed ^

Thanks for the updates and post
Old Jan 8, 2014, 1:09 pm

Programs: Delta, SPG
Originally Posted by pbarnette
AA puts 184 in their 752s, and UA 182, but they have a larger Y+ cabin and larger F cabin, such that I doubt there would be an appreciable difference between a seat in any particular cabin on DL vs AA or UA, but that the breakdown will be different. Curious, though, how long AA's premium-heavy configuration will last given the markedly different configurations coming from the US side of the merger.
The 757 at AA will eventually go the way of the A321 (non-transcon edition) which is slated to only have 16F similar to the US birds....so our extra row on 757s and A321s is appreciated.

That said, I hate the reduction in general of F seats on the 757.

And before certain folks say it, I buy first always.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 1:59 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Does anyone know if the "slim line" seats are going to be the B/E Pinnicles or the Ricardos? The Ricardos (which is what UAL is putting into the A320s they are taking IFE and audio out of, and NOT PUTTING POWER INTO) are awful even with the "comfort package" on anything beyond about an hour flight. Just awful.

On the other hand the B/E Pinnicles are ok seats. If its the B/E then this is (IMHO) a substantial and (other than the 757 seats) TOTAL win for DAL.

The contract with UAL which is putting horrible Recardos in the A320 and pulling out IFE and not putting power in is STARK.

One airline will be proved to be smart about their product offerings, and one will be a goat. I think the goat is UAL, but can always be wrong.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 3:05 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, WF GoFar Rewards, AAdvantage, United MileagePlus
Originally Posted by spin88
Does anyone know if the "slim line" seats are going to be the B/E Pinnicles or the Ricardos? The Ricardos (which is what UAL is putting into the A320s they are taking IFE and audio out of, and NOT PUTTING POWER INTO) are awful even with the "comfort package" on anything beyond about an hour flight. Just awful.

On the other hand the B/E Pinnicles are ok seats. If its the B/E then this is (IMHO) a substantial and (other than the 757 seats) TOTAL win for DAL.

The contract with UAL which is putting horrible Recardos in the A320 and pulling out IFE and not putting power in is STARK.

One airline will be proved to be smart about their product offerings, and one will be a goat. I think the goat is UAL, but can always be wrong.
They will most likely be either the B/E Aerospace Pinnacle or the Zodiac U.S. (formerly Weber) 5751, since I think those are the only two Y seats that the Panasonic Eco 9i Integrated Smart Monitors are certified on.

I think the 738s and 752s are getting the B/E Aerospace Pinnacle, since that is what the 739ERs have and is also what is planned for the 75Es and 753s. These aircraft all have the same Y seat width, so it makes sense to go with a common model of Y seat for all of these aircraft. Note that even though the 738s and 75Es already have the Weber 5751, they are not the version designed for the Eco 9i monitors and thus DL has to install completely new seats.

As for the A319/A320, that will be interesting to watch. The A319/A320s are moving to 18" wide seats, so it could be either model.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 3:12 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
Runway Girl Network reported that all of the planes are getting the B/E Aerospace Pinnacle seats.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 3:15 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Not nearly as large as those on the Sky Interior or ISIS Interior. Furthermore, the PMDL 752s all have bin extensions which make their bins just as large as (if not larger than) those on the 738s. However, the PMNW 752s do not, and I assume DL wants both the PMDL and PMNW 752s to have consistent interiors.
There is a post on the airliners.net thread saying that the 757s will get new bins that will hold a bag edgewise, which will greatly increase the number of bags that will fit.

David
Old Jan 8, 2014, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by DiverDave
There is a post on the airliners.net thread saying that the 757s will get new bins that will hold a bag edgewise, which will greatly increase the number of bags that will fit.

David
20 FT bucks says pax are still going to load their bags in the bins like they do today.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 3:43 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by DiverDave
I would think this must be true for the A319 and A320 bins too since they're increasing in size by 60% compared to 50% for the 757's. I was a little surprised by the percentage increase in size until I Googled 'bin retrofit' or something like that and realized they must be going to bins that accommodate bags wheels first and edgewise as you mention.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 4:11 pm

Programs: DL - PM (Sky Priority);HH - Gold; Marriott - Silver; National - Executive; DL Reserve AMEX
Originally Posted by mbaker0936
I am looking forward to the mini Y cabin behind F but in front of L2 on the 757. Will feel like its own private area.
Does anyone have an advance/proposed new seat-map?
Old Jan 8, 2014, 4:15 pm

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
Since a lot of my domestic travel over the past year has been on 757s and 319s, I have to say I'm very pleased with this announcement. Larger bins and power at every seat are, for me at least, the best news of all.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 4:16 pm

Programs: DL DM; DL AMEX Reserve; HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by dw
True, but recently pretty much every airline has been installing slimline seats WHILE reducing pitch.... and touting that "legroom" will feel the same.
Interesting you put it like that. I feel that the "legroom" in F for the 737–900 seats "feels the same" as coach when the person in front of me is reclined.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.