Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Extending expiring Companion Certificate?

Old Jan 7, 14, 2:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, Delta, United, Amex, SPG, Hilton

Have you ever used the Delta companion certificate past the expiration date? If so, how did you do it? Is Delta ever flexible on the expiration date?
Old Jan 7, 14, 2:19 pm

Programs: Delta Kryptonium
My guess would be, no extensions (just like no more "soft landings" if you are just a few MQMs short of a Medallion level). Also, the expiration of the certificate is controlled electronically.
Old Jan 7, 14, 2:25 pm

Programs: AA PPro
Whenever I've used my cert online, you cannot actually book a ticket with a date past the expiration. Either the date is grayed out in the picker, or you get an error.
Old Jan 7, 14, 2:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, Delta, United, Amex, SPG, Hilton
Originally Posted by BobRoss View Post
Whenever I've used my cert online, you cannot actually book a ticket with a date past the expiration. Either the date is grayed out in the picker, or you get an error.
Yeah, I saw that. I'm wondering if people had success by calling Delta and getting an extension past the expiration date
Old Jan 7, 14, 5:22 pm

Programs: DL DM
Not gonna happen.
Old Jan 7, 14, 5:46 pm

Programs: DL DM/1MM, HH Diamond, SPG Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Mr. Tickets View Post
Not gonna happen.
Ditto that. You will not get an extension from DL on this. The expiration date is set in the system and cannot be extended. All travel must be completed BY the expiration date. At least this is not a new policy from DL with these certs. I've learned that a lot of folks loose out on getting to use these, because they keep waiting for the "perfect" time. Not saying that is your situation, but my advice to all with these is to use them at your first opportunity. Plus, when under pressure, you can much more easily find flights and times you want.
Old Jan 15, 14, 11:03 am

Mine expires 4/30/14. I have a bachelor party in Vegas from 5/1/14-5/4/14, of course. I called Delta to extend, they said no. Next up is AmEx. I'm going to ask them if they can issue my next one because I would like to use the certificate to fly up front with a friend.
Old Jan 15, 14, 11:20 am

Programs: AS MVPG75k, *A Silver, IHG Spire Elite, Hilton Gold
I wonder if it would be possible to book a ticket, then change the dates past the cert expiration. I'm assuming that once you book a ticket, you're now bound by the rules of the fare class, the only thing preventing you from changing the ticket would be if there's something explicitly noted on the ticket that it was a companion cert… and of course there'd likely be some change fees and paying the fare difference. All speculation of course, never actually tried it.
Old Jan 15, 14, 11:44 am

[QUOTE=dadamn;22159767]I wonder if it would be possible to book a ticket, then change the dates past the cert expiration. I'm assuming that once you book a ticket, you're now bound by the rules of the fare class, the only thing preventing you from changing the ticket would be if there's something explicitly noted on the ticket that it was a companion cert… and of course there'd likely be some change fees and paying the fare difference. All speculation of course, never actually tried it.[/QUOTE

I am almost positive, the ticket will be noted as using certs and the original expiration date. Plus, why would you want to do this? You will pay $400.00 in change fees ($200.00 per ticket).

I also doubt you will get Amex to send out new certs early. They have pretty much gone ahead and changed it so that they actually go out the month AFTER your card renews.
Old Mar 14, 20, 4:32 am

Programs: DL PM, 1MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
I have not received (or missed it) communication from Delta or AMEX on this but the expiration date on my companion certificates have changed to 12/31/2020. One was set to expire on 4/30/2020. This change occurred sometime in the last 24 hours.
Old Mar 14, 20, 9:27 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium / Marriott Lifetime Platinum / United Airlines Silver
I have one set to expire on 9/30/2020 but it hasn't been extended. We don't fly Delta often and really won't have the opportunity until October. Mine did not get automatically extended. I have DM'd Delta to ask for an extension. Maybe I'll get lucky and be able to use it in October. I've been watching fares. Delta is often "proud" of their routes in OKC even during this time-- in fact the flights I've been watching have gone up in price $70 despite no seats being booked.
Old Mar 14, 20, 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by brianinok View Post
I have one set to expire on 9/30/2020 but it hasn't been extended. We don't fly Delta often and really won't have the opportunity until October. Mine did not get automatically extended.
Just to add another datapoint: I am in the same boat. Mine expires 9/30/2020 and has not been extended either. Please let us know how if they honor your request.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: