Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2014 Upgrade Success Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2014, 3:41 pm

Programs: A few airlines, hotel programs and car rentals
Originally Posted by CMK10
I'd say you got a decent shot, at least on the MCO-ATL legs but I think your odds on the way to DFW are probably under 50%. Good luck!
Thank you CMK10! It sounds promising! Will post my experience after the flight.

Originally Posted by DeltaWings
I never missed a MCO-ATL UG as a GM, even on lower sLUT fares. You should definitely get it on a Saturday. ATL-DFW I'm not sure about, since I never have to go to Texas.

Though I will be testing it out on my way to the Aug. 30 FSU-OSU game. I'll be a DM by then, though. Just waiting on my MQDs to catch up. Paid TATL BE next week will fix that.
Thank you DeltaWings. And, DM sounds AWESOME! Congratulations! ^ :-:

Last edited by AvidFlyer1990; Jul 24, 2014 at 7:53 pm
Old Jul 25, 2014, 4:17 pm

Location: San Francisco, CA & Bangkok (Home)/Lawrenceville & Switzerland (Boarding School)/Baltimore, MD (College)
Programs: DL DM, AL MVPG 75K, SQ Gold, BA Silver, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriot Plat, Hertz Pres Circle
Upgraded

As a GM traveling with my FO sister, we were both upgraded from BDL to DTW and DTW to FLL on a Saturday and Monday. Also I got upgraded at 3 day window for BDL-ATL and ATL to SFO flying out saturday night
Old Jul 25, 2014, 8:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Delta Gold, Mariott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis Presidents Club
challenged to delta plat for a few weeks of flights (aa EXP) and my first flight, a Monday morning from STL-MSP cleared. I'm likening it so far. I have several weeks of STL-MSP ahead of me, might be giving it to delta instead of AA
Old Jul 25, 2014, 10:18 pm

Just made FO last month and after a couple trips, on UA, AA, USAIR, and Hawaiian, (due to scheduling needs), finally using Delta again. Well, after a failed upgrade from HNL to SLC, I was eventually upgraded on the regional jet to 1st class.

By eventual I mean that my original boarding pass was changed to another preferred seat, then, while submitting new BP to GA I was upgraded to F.

Even though I could not sleep on the red eye from HNL, or this flight to SFO for several reasons, I have no complaints. Well maybe the person behind me bumping the seat only when I was trying to sleep.

Last edited by kaliimc; Jul 25, 2014 at 10:24 pm
Old Jul 26, 2014, 10:12 am

Programs: DL DM, AA Gold
GM, MSP to LAX. Boarded in IND, no 1st on the small plane.

I was #6 of 6 initially, dropped to 9 of 8 then 1 of 0...

As I was in line boarding with the rest of Priority the app showed 4B, score!
Old Jul 26, 2014, 7:50 pm

Programs: DL PM, SPG Platinum
Had something odd happen to me today. Flying BOS-DTW-PIT next Friday. Normally on this route (previously as a GM) I would get an upgrade on the DTW-PIT leg but never on BOS-DTW. BOS-DTW tends to be an elite heavy route.

Today, my BOS-DTW upgrade cleared at the window, but it looks like it won't happen on the DTW-PIT leg. There are only three seats available five days out.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 12:42 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, UA Gold (status match)
Having a rough time this year as GM. Haven't gotten more than one upgrade on the west palm/nyc routes. Got the last upgraded seat on a dc/lga shuttle a few weeks ago. Have some travel coming up to MCO and PBI at slightly off times so we'll see.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
2014 Upgrade Success Thread

Leaving PHL a few days ago, got to the gate and noted that all UGs had cleared and I was #2 on the list in mobile app. Asked the GA if F had boarded full, and she said there were a few people who still hadn't shown up. She asked my name and confirmed I had not cleared. I then asked if she would come on board to UG people if there were no shows, or if she'd prefer that I wait in the gate area.

GA quickly said that she would not do onboard UGs, so I stood to the side while Zones 2 and 3 boarded. As Zone 3 was trickling down, a uniformed pilot started talking to the GA, and I heard GA say "hold on I'm going to switch your seat." I started to fear I'd been Shena'd.

But then, GA looks at me, smiles, and says "It's your lucky day, Mr. Lee," holding out an RU BP. As I boarded, I noticed the pilot from earlier seated in my previously selected bulkhead aisle EC seat.

I know the whole "you board you lose" thing is a contentious issue around here, and I do wish DL would just standardize and clarify the procedure once and for all, but despite all that, kudos went to this GA for being clear about what she would do and then actually doing it. And all with a friendly smile and some common courtesy, too. ^
Old Jul 27, 2014, 5:43 pm

Programs: AA, DL Platinum, AS, AF/KL, UA, VS, HA, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle
FO/Silver

5/11 LAX-OAK (CRJ9)
5/13 OAK-LAX (CRJ9)
5/13 SFO-LAX (CRJ9) - bumped to this flight after a VDB with the previous.

So far 3/5 or 60% as a FO (was GM until March 1).
Old Jul 27, 2014, 8:18 pm

Programs: Delta DM 1MM, AA EXP, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President Circle, Hilton Gold, Omni Black,
How about downgrades?

Was seated in EC window on ATL-SMF. Boarded and found a sign on my seat that it needed maintenance. Booted way back to 43. Heck of a way to treat a multi-year Diamond on a long flight... Got a kick out of the pilot announcing how he hoped those that were affected were taken care of and thanked us for our loyalty. Laughable.... Delta FAIL.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 8:48 am

Programs: DL - Diamond. Marriott - Lifetime Platinum. Starwoods - Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by Hagaphus
Was seated in EC window on ATL-SMF. Boarded and found a sign on my seat that it needed maintenance. Booted way back to 43. Heck of a way to treat a multi-year Diamond on a long flight... Got a kick out of the pilot announcing how he hoped those that were affected were taken care of and thanked us for our loyalty. Laughable.... Delta FAIL.
As a "multi-year Diamond" I would assume that those experiences are just something you will experience some time and look at the overall DL experience for a DM? :-)

Overall, I have a 95++ upgrade record for the year (two flights I wasn't upgraded on). Including success on GUC to Brazil on M fare, multiple trips to Latin America, and in the US.

-ok
Old Aug 2, 2014, 6:08 am

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Another success with GUC -- three for three.
Earlier this year I used 2 GUCs to upgrade DCA-ICN and return. Original outbound was DCA-ATL-TPA-DTW-ICN all upgraded, two days before I switched to DCA-DTW-ICN (so as not to have to leave DCA at 6 am, no charge for the change, but I lost the confirmed domestic first class -- got it back at the gate). Return was ICN-SEA-JFK-DCA, all upgraded.
Just used one more for a return XIY-PEK-DTW-DCA (upgraded from PEK on, XIY-PEK on MU so no upgrade). Outbound is in Y domestic and W trans-Pacific in VA premium economy LAX-BNE. Actually wanted the W/Y bonus MQMs and the PE cabin on VA and it was cheaper in W than using the DL flight through SYD.
Now to see if I can bid on an upgrade BNE-PER using Virgin's program.
Old Aug 2, 2014, 9:25 am

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
I was 1 of 1 for 1 seat yesterday RAP-MSP after I SDCed to the 6:45 AM flight. No competition at all.
Old Aug 2, 2014, 9:56 am

Programs: AMEX DL Reserve ✈ DL Diamond Medallion ✈ Marriott ✈ NWA
March 2014 FLL to DTW and DTW to MSP. On my return MSP to DTW and DTW to MSP.
Aug 01 2014 FLL to LGA and LGA to MSP. 6 for 6 so far.
Aug 08 2014 MSP to ATL and ATL to FLL

Last edited by NWA777; Aug 11, 2014 at 3:40 pm
Old Aug 8, 2014, 2:16 pm

Programs: A few airlines, hotel programs and car rentals
Upgrade window question?

I have 2 flights coming up this Monday, and right now, I'm within the 3 day window, for the upgrade. However, I only see 'Medallion Upgrade Requested', and I am still in the assigned coach seats (there are a couple of FC seats open). Do I call Delta, or will the upgrade process automatically?

The flights were booked through a corporate travel agent. Does that change anything? Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.