Community
Wiki Posts
Search

new boarding policy effective 1/1/14

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2014, 10:24 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by orr333
I try to never judge someone with a disability sticker in their car even if they look 'able' as many conditions do not present a visible disability - but I MUST admit, with FLL, MIA and PBI as my primary destination for work, it is very common to see 15+ WCs and then upon arrival, only a few are needed for getting off the plane.
Note that differences in the departure and arrival airports can make a big difference here. My nearly 80-year-old mother very definitely needs a wheelchair to get to and from the gate at ATL, but doesn't need it when she arrives at her home airport, LEX, as the walk to baggage claim and then to the curb is trivial by comparison.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 11:22 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Is Delta now specifically calling out for FO to board before the rest of zone 1? If so, that is a meaningful enhancement of FO. My biggest frustrations with FO when I had it in 2013 were the security and boarding process.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 11:23 am
havnfn

Programs: Delta-DM; Hilton-Diamond; Hyatt-Diamond
Originally Posted by bostonbali
This is kinda random, no?
How does preboarding help children with peanut allergies?
What about adults with peanut allergies?
What about children with other issues, or who are afraid of the Easter bunny?
I've read of families wiping down seats, seatbacks, armrests, etc. and placing thin seat covers to prevent touching any peanut dust/residue. I would imagine doing that during a pre-boarding process would be much easier rather than having a few dozen people stacked up back down the aisle, eh?
Old Jan 2, 2014, 11:39 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by bdschobel
I heard pre-boarding offered to "families traveling with children under age 2" many, many times during 2013.

Bruce
In 2013 DL announced pre-boarding and I pre-boarded on every leg of every trip on which I had my kids with me.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Originally Posted by cmd320
Zone 3: FO, ST Elite, EC, Exit Rows, Amex
Somehow, I don't think a lot of people are going to sign up for the card with a promise of Zone 3 boarding.

Originally Posted by Xeno
I also do not remember not being allowed to start toward the plane until the GA confirmed all the special needs folk were literally inside the plane.
Do you mean that they wont let F Gate Lice get in the way of pre-boards? I see that fairly often with DYKWIAs so oblivious that the GA has to ask them to step aside.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by N965VJ
Somehow, I don't think a lot of people are going to sign up for the card with a promise of Zone 3 boarding.
United and Chase somehow make it work. They simply market it as "priority boarding" rather than Zone 1 boarding.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 1:17 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, HHonors Diamond, National Executive Elite
It should go something like this:

Zone 0: Pre-board
Zone 1: First Class
Zone 2: DM, PM, GM, ST Elite+
Zone 3: FO, ST Elite, EC, Exit Rows, Amex
Zone 4: Windows
Zone 5: Middles
Zone 6: Aisles
I just can't see non-Medallion aisle passengers being consistently shut out of overhead bin space on certain aircraft (e.g., MD88).

Originally Posted by havnfn
I've read of families wiping down seats, seatbacks, armrests, etc. and placing thin seat covers to prevent touching any peanut dust/residue. I would imagine doing that during a pre-boarding process would be much easier rather than having a few dozen people stacked up back down the aisle, eh?
Fine, but there's no need to publicly address this class before every flight. Hyper-sensitive allergy sufferers should be in contact with the gate agent well before boarding to request that peanuts not be served in close proximity to their seats. The gate agent can privately offer pre-boarding privileges then.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 1:22 pm

Programs: RR: A List Preferred. DL, UA, AA: may as well be nothing
So Zone 1 is still really Group 4 to board? As long as that confusion continues to exist, that 1 in no way resembles, suggest or implies that it might be first, all will be good
Old Jan 2, 2014, 1:52 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by havnfn
Heck, you've obviously never boarded a plane I've been on. Nobody else is going to clean the seat, so I do it every single time. And I put anything I'll want in the seat pocket in front of me into a plastic bag, so I only have to reach into the bag, not the seat pocket. If we weren't meant to wipe down the seat, why were Clorox Wipes in the travel packet even invented?

You know all the pictures in this thread? How do you know you aren't the next person in that seat?
Old Jan 2, 2014, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by MS02113
I just can't see non-Medallion aisle passengers being consistently shut out of overhead bin space on certain aircraft (e.g., MD88).
Does it really matter whether it's an aisle, middle, or window kettle that gets shut out of bin space? At the end of the boarding process some are no doubt going to be. Other options exist such as checking larger carryons or buying up to EC where available. By keeping people's coats, handbags, and backpacks out of the bins there would be more space for real luggage.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Does it really matter whether it's an aisle, middle, or window kettle that gets shut out of bin space? At the end of the boarding process some are no doubt going to be. Other options exist such as checking larger carryons or buying up to EC where available. By keeping people's coats, handbags, and backpacks out of the bins there would be more space for real luggage.
My carry on usually consists of my small purse and backpack. The backpack (usually with coat stuffed inside) is going in the bin...
Old Jan 2, 2014, 2:31 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2MM/UA G MM/DL MM DM 2015/BA Silver/Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by rwoman
My carry on usually consists of my small purse and backpack. The backpack (usually with coat stuffed inside) is going in the bin...
On a flight late last year this was announced by the FA (paraphrase)..."if you brought two carryons on board, please place the larger in the bin and the smaller one under the seat in front of you." Seemed like a rationale direction.

I think its only reasonable that each passenger has the opportunity to place one item above and in no case should any passenger expect to place two items above absent empty space at the end of boarding. Obviously, bulkheads are a different story - though it would be intreresting if there were a policy that if you have a bulkhead, you are only permitted one carryon....
Old Jan 2, 2014, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
In addition, for those bringing an underseat "personal item" along with them, these should have to carry the red "approved for cabin baggage" tag before boarding. These items should only be permitted under the seat in front and not in the overhead which should be reserved for larger items that cannot fit under the seat (other than for bulkhead/door exit seats). FAs would easily be able to see the red tag and pull these items from the overheads.
That will work really well against any passenger too feeble to remove the tag.

Maybe they should give out "approved for overhead storage" for large bags, and anything without that tag gets removed. (It's not as if anybody would have a large collection of those tags a few weeks later, is it?)
Old Jan 2, 2014, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Originally Posted by Bicostal
On a flight late last year this was announced by the FA (paraphrase)..."if you brought two carryons on board, please place the larger in the bin and the smaller one under the seat in front of you." Seemed like a rationale direction.

I think its only reasonable that each passenger has the opportunity to place one item above and in no case should any passenger expect to place two items above absent empty space at the end of boarding. Obviously, bulkheads are a different story - though it would be intreresting if there were a policy that if you have a bulkhead, you are only permitted one carryon....
I agree about one up in the bin and the other below the seat in front of you (barring certain seat assignments).

As with chaotic boarding procedures, it comes down to GAs enforcing the carry on policy. When I see them being proactive, I try to say thank you for enforcing the policy.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 2:43 pm

Programs: Delta, Hertz, Hilton, Marriott
Is it true that way back when, First Class boarded last? It was deemed a benefit to be on the plane for as little time as possible.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.