Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DM on oversold CDG-SEA w/ waitlisted SWU

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DM on oversold CDG-SEA w/ waitlisted SWU

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2013, 1:46 am
Used to be 'jwienner'
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat, AA Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Question DM on oversold CDG-SEA w/ waitlisted SWU

Hello FT
Just reached DM yesterday and have a question about an upcoming TATL trip. I'm on DL 614 on 1/5/14 going CDG-SEA on an M fare. Ticket was purchased by employer. I waitlisted a SWU and have been watching the availability on Expert Flyer pretty closely for the past few days. The economy fares have jumped around from Y8 B3 M2 to Y0 B0 M0 over the past week, sometimes within hours of each other (currently showing Y1 B1). I figure this is normal, but J shows only J1 with everything else zero'd out. The seat map shows 9 open seats. I know the seat map is nothing to gauge availability from, but another FT member pointed out DL may be holding J inventory in what will likely be an OpUp situation. I chatted with both the platinum desk and diamond desk and they said that the flight is oversold. I asked if I could be rerouted (final destination is LAX) to which they responded I'd have to see what happens at the gate.

How do OpUps clear in regards to a waitlisted SWU? I'm a DM on an M fare so I've gotta be pretty close to the top of the list should OpUps happen. Would they bump people up to J first, to make room for oversold coach, thus leaving possibly no avail for my SWU to clear? Or would they clear the SWU, pull me out of coach to help create space. I guess I am asking which happens first; from what I've read on here OpUps can happen a few hours out or at the gate. Also, what are my day of options if my fight is oversold? Could I proactively offer to take an alternate flight in hopes that my SWU on M fare would transfer to the other flight's airport waitlist? Any advice/predictions/insight would be greatly appreciated!
Old Dec 30, 2013, 2:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
They would first clear waitlisted PU503s before considering OPUPs. J1 is not looking pretty and I doubt you will find wide open flights on 1/5 to anywhere from CDG. To use the SWU you'll also need Delta metal and there aren't too many flights which will qualify.
If the flight is oversold and they are looking for volunteers you can negotiate with the GA pretty much all options including rebooking straight into J w/o using the SWU. On 1/5 this could be a tough situation to find availability.
Old Dec 30, 2013, 3:49 am
Used to be 'jwienner'
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat, AA Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Thanks for the insight - a helpful rep at the diamond desk just told me the flight is actually J6, and that Delta is holding seats in business on purpose for opups. Although, she did warn me that because AF/KLM handle DL's operation at CDG, that SWU's are often overlooked (since AF/KLM don't let them go to standby at the gate). She told me I had a decent chance of being opup'd over SWU clearing and still winding up in J. Anyone have any experience with a SWU out of CDG?
Old Dec 30, 2013, 3:58 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by jwienner
Although, she did warn me that because AF/KLM handle DL's operation at CDG, that SWU's are often overlooked (since AF/KLM don't let them go to standby at the gate).
Just a side note - - Not sure if or how it may apply to your situation, but, the fine print on the newly upcoming Global UGs reads, that they won't work for last minute gate UGs at CDG. For flights departing CDG - even on DL metal - the UG cert has to clear in advance.

Good luck & do let us know the end result!
Old Dec 30, 2013, 4:43 am

Programs: DL SPlat, KLM Bump, Privium Plus, GOES
Airport standby is not available on Delta operated flights originating from CDG (or AMS).
AF/KLM will take over at T-24. In the past they would not clear waitlisted PU503s before considering OPUPs. They will follow their own (AF/KLM) procedures. If you are a DM you have a good chance to get the OPUP if the flight is indeed oversold.

Better use miles for those flights and save that SWU for a DAL/KLM/AF flight originating from the USA.
Old Dec 30, 2013, 5:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by davetravels
Just a side note - - Not sure if or how it may apply to your situation, but, the fine print on the newly upcoming Global UGs reads, that they won't work for last minute gate UGs at CDG. For flights departing CDG - even on DL metal - the UG cert has to clear in advance.
So DL is admitting that their supposed day of departure waitlist system doesn't work for crap. Nice. In effect this means no upgrades from CDG-US unless you manage to book months ahead and find a flight with inventory.

Sure, buy that M or B fare and enjoy sitting in the back with no chance of an upgrade because they won't process at the gate. Lovely.
Old Dec 30, 2013, 5:32 am

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
Originally Posted by Grouchy
Airport standby is not available on Delta operated flights originating from CDG (or AMS).
AF/KLM will take over at T-24. In the past they would not clear waitlisted PU503s before considering OPUPs. They will follow their own (AF/KLM) procedures. If you are a DM you have a good chance to get the OPUP if the flight is indeed oversold.

Better use miles for those flights and save that SWU for a DAL/KLM/AF flight originating from the USA.
But, I have had personal success applying a Delta SWU in the KLM Lounge @AMS on day of departure (just required that there be BusinessElite seats available). Recently upgraded two people (myself and my daughter), AMS-BOS. Only caveat, is that one needs to be at the lounge around 1.5 hours prior to departure (and, also, that one has to choose spending time in the KLM lounge instead of the Privium Lounge prior to departure ).
Old Dec 30, 2013, 5:40 am

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by rylan
Sure, buy that M or B fare and enjoy sitting in the back with no chance of an upgrade because they won't process at the gate. Lovely.
Well, the consolation is, that starting Mar 1, the new Global certs will be good on ANY fare bucket, all the way down to V, so you really don't lose any money if your UG doesn't clear.
Old Dec 30, 2013, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Grouchy

Waitlisted UG cleared for me at BOTH CDG and AMS w/o any issues w/ a PU503. Where the heck did you hear this?
Old Dec 30, 2013, 9:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by cfischer
Waitlisted UG cleared for me at BOTH CDG and AMS w/o any issues w/ a PU503. Where the heck did you hear this?
Did the upgrade clear on the day of departure? At the gate?

For as long as I can remember, the rules for SWUs were explicit that they would not be cleared from CDG/AMS (or maybe on any TATL westbound flight, although I'm not sure about the LHR case) after the flight is under airport control. The basic problem is that ground handling is done by AF/KLM and apparently DL cannot force these agents to follow DL rules and procedures, despite DL paying AF/KLM for these services.
Old Dec 30, 2013, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
And we know that KLM will sell cheap J upgrades out from under someone on the waitlist with an SWU during check-in.
Old Dec 30, 2013, 9:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by rylan
And we know that KLM will sell cheap J upgrades out from under someone on the waitlist with an SWU during check-in.
If the SWU doesn't clear by check in, will KLM just let you purchase the upgrade? And is the cost lower from Y B M fares?
Old Dec 30, 2013, 9:41 am

Programs: DL SPlat, KLM Bump, Privium Plus, GOES
Same here, waitlist is indeed no problem and isn't an issue.

Airport standby lists are the problem as i wrote in the post. Experienced it in the past and talked with KLM agents in AMS about it.

In the USA you can go to the GA. In AMS you can try the KLM gate agents but they will give you the deer in headlights look.
If you want to apply that SWU at the airport you have to talk to an KLM agent at the lounge or transfer desk.

KLM does not maintain any airport or active standbye waiting list. Most KLM agents don't even know about it (Lounge and transfer KLM agents generally do know about it).

Therefore the SWU's are not processed as they should. On the dod @ AMS KLM would sell those seats to anyone if they gave them some miles/SWU/money in the lounge. First come first serve. Nowadays they at least call sometimes and ask if they still release seats.

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If the SWU doesn't clear by check in, will KLM just let you purchase the upgrade? And is the cost lower from Y B M fares?
As long they are seats. Costs depends on your fare class and destination. The KLM agents at the lounge will follow their dod list for DAL and KLM flights that you can see hanging under their screens.

Last edited by Grouchy; Dec 30, 2013 at 10:52 am
Old Dec 30, 2013, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Did the upgrade clear on the day of departure? At the gate?

For as long as I can remember, the rules for SWUs were explicit that they would not be cleared from CDG/AMS (or maybe on any TATL westbound flight, although I'm not sure about the LHR case) after the flight is under airport control. The basic problem is that ground handling is done by AF/KLM and apparently DL cannot force these agents to follow DL rules and procedures, despite DL paying AF/KLM for these services.
@ the gate in CDG. Spoke with the GA and within minutes I got my J seat
Old Dec 30, 2013, 11:22 am

@ the gate in CDG. Spoke with the GA and within minutes I got my J seat
So, maybe there'z a glimmer of hope yet, for the new Global Certs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.