Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Quickest to re-qualify for DM in 2014

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2014, 8:39 am

Programs: DL DM Charter/2.5MM, AA EXP, Marriott AMB, LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Avis PP, National Exec-E
Originally Posted by bdschobel
That raises an interesting question: Can MQMs roll over twice (or more). If you carry over, say, 250,000 MQMs into 2014 but do not fly at all during the year (and requalify as DM through the AMEX exemption), will 125,000 MQMs roll over into 2015? I'm not sure.

Bruce
Good question... didn't see that. Maybe this is one of the ways that DL is going to weed-out the non-flying DMs that have beau coup rollover miles.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 8:54 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
I may be wrong, but I would expect that any MQMs over the threshold for a given medallion level will roll over no matter whether they were already rollover MQMs.

I believe that Marriott rollover nights disappear at the end of a given year.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by RobertS975
... I would expect that any MQMs over the threshold for a given medallion level will roll over no matter whether they were already rollover MQMs....
I believe that you need a minor caveat: The person must requalify in the current year for some Medallion level (at least Silver). Non-medallion SkyMiles members cannot roll over any MQMs, as I recall, even if they have a huge number rolled over from a previous year. (And that assumes double- or triple-rollover is allowed.)

Bruce
Old Jan 2, 2014, 9:06 am

Programs: DL DM 2MM, MR LTT, Hilton D, Hertz PC. National Emerald Exec, UA Silver(thanks to Marriott)
I believe that you need a minor caveat: The person must requalify in the current year for some Medallion level (at least Silver). Non-medallion SkyMiles members cannot roll over any MQMs, as I recall, even if they have a huge number rolled over from a previous year. (And that assumes double- or triple-rollover is allowed.)

Bruce
That was my assumption, to keep any rollovers you have to spend at least 2.5k on DL or 25k on AMEX every year you want them to continue to rollover for US residents.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 12:02 pm

Programs: DL PM, AA PLT/2MM
Originally Posted by CrazyEddie
Good point. I want to say that the charge (presumably by Turbo Tax) to pay my Federal and/or state taxes is much steeper.
TurboTax charges 2.49% of the amount you charge to your credit card. If you pay the taxes as an estimated tax payment instead, you can lower the fee down to 1.87% of the amount you charge, dependingon the vendor used. Meeting a $25,000 spend requirement solely by paying taxes would cost at least $467.50 in fees (or $622.50 in fees if you do it through TurboTax).
Old Jan 2, 2014, 12:20 pm

Programs: AS, DL, AA, UA, WN
Originally Posted by tentseller
Not yet, roll-over have not posted yet.
Fair enough - but my point remains that there are almost certainly at least a few people out there who have enough rollover MQM and don't need to even meet an AmEx spend to get the MQD waiver, so they would re-qualify as soon as DL's IT makes it possible.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 12:31 pm

Programs: Delta DM, 4MM, SC, AmEx Reserve, UA Plat, SPG/Marriott Platinum, Hertz Gold
My MQM rollover hasn't credited yet but will rollover well more than enough miles to cover that part of the equation. As for the MQD...if I felt compelled I could hit that today (plus time for AmEx to post the charges to DL). I have 3 international trips in Q1 that I need to book, all expensable under client contract for J that I could dump on my Reserve card and get reimbursed that would put me over $25K based upon today's DL prices...but, the bigger question then becomes...who cares how quickly you re-qualify with the new system? If you're DM already nothing changes...
Old Jan 2, 2014, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by jsmith50
My MQM rollover hasn't credited yet but will rollover well more than enough miles to cover that part of the equation. As for the MQD...if I felt compelled I could hit that today (plus time for AmEx to post the charges to DL). I have 3 international trips in Q1 that I need to book, all expensable under client contract for J that I could dump on my Reserve card and get reimbursed that would put me over $25K based upon today's DL prices...but, the bigger question then becomes...who cares how quickly you re-qualify with the new system? If you're DM already nothing changes...
I thought that at first, but it's not true this year.

If you requalify as DM fast enough (before the end of February), get can get SWUs for your 2014 qualification.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
That raises an interesting question: Can MQMs roll over twice (or more). If you carry over, say, 250,000 MQMs into 2014 but do not fly at all during the year (and requalify as DM through the AMEX exemption), will 125,000 MQMs roll over into 2015? I'm not sure.
MQMs roll forever, until they're used up. (Or you fail to get status.)
Old Jan 2, 2014, 4:55 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG AMB, National EE
Originally Posted by sethb
If you requalify as DM fast enough (before the end of February), get can get SWUs for your 2014 qualification.
I wouldn't be so sure about that. I won't be in a position to test it, but I assume someone around here will. When you qualify this year (today or Dec 31) you will get your 2015 selection. Presumably DL will have removed SWUs as an option from the 2015 drop down. Perhaps they would not allow the 2015 selection to be made until march regardless of when you requalify.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 8:01 am

Programs: Delta DM, 4MM, SC, AmEx Reserve, UA Plat, SPG/Marriott Platinum, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by azeckel
I wouldn't be so sure about that. I won't be in a position to test it, but I assume someone around here will. When you qualify this year (today or Dec 31) you will get your 2015 selection. Presumably DL will have removed SWUs as an option from the 2015 drop down. Perhaps they would not allow the 2015 selection to be made until march regardless of when you requalify.
This is what I wondered...

I rolled over enough miles last year to re-qualify whenever rollover hit. I can't remember when DL made the choice benefits available but I didn't pick mine until later in the spring in the summer.

Perhaps one of the DL reps could weigh in and let us know for sure when these will be available to choose.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.