Wiki Posts
Search

Which business seat TATL?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2013, 6:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Northwest, United
Which business seat TATL?

Apologies if the answer to this is posted elsewhere - I looked, but did not find anything that addressed this question...

Are there meaningful differences between Delta's current seats across the various updated business class flights?

I'm looking at booking flights from the US west coast to London, planning my travel for a full year ahead. Looking for a quality experience in business, a flat bed seat for the long flight.

I believe Delta has rolled out their new business product on some routes, and is in the process of updating the business cabins on older international long-hauls. I am reassured by Donald Sutherland and others that Delta has upped their game considerably. This is good news for me, as I look for a good night's sleep between home (Seattle) and London (and back).

Delta currently runs (I believe) a 767-300ER ("76W") a nonstop between SEA and LHR. I'm generally not a big fan of 767s. However, I hear the "new" DL business is good - and given a choice between a single non-stop, or connecting in ATL/MSP/elsewhere, if the seats are essentially the same...I'd be more inclined towards the non-stop (and a single non-stop would also give me a better shot at a half-decent night's sleep).

So my question boils down to this: there are probably several different Delta options that would get me to LHR in business class. Assuming that my options include "new business class" hard products, is there a significant difference between the hard product on one aircraft type/route than another? Or are all the "new business" seats (the ones with flat beds) essentially equivalent? If you were trying to get from SEA to LHR (and back) in business, what flights would you pick?

Thanks!

(PS: And if there's a thread comparing the new Delta business seats across aircraft types, please point me there.)
Old Dec 26, 2013, 7:23 pm

Programs: DL, SPG
Everything DL flies to LHR is the "new" flatbeds. You can't go wrong.
Old Dec 26, 2013, 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by AdamDunn32
Everything DL flies to LHR is the "new" flatbeds. You can't go wrong.
+1
Old Dec 26, 2013, 7:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
In my personally opinion, J on the 777 and 747 is better than on the 767s. With that said, the 777 and 747 don't fly to LHR so the best option in that case is the J seat on the 76W. I would personally go for 1A, though others may disagree, and after that and odd numbered seat on the left side of the aircraft. I also do prefer the 76W to the 764.
Old Dec 26, 2013, 7:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
The flat bed 767s are better than the 777 for looking out the window, but generally 747 > 777 > 767 (reconfigured) in BE. I haven't been on a redone A330 yet.

If the OP could get a 747 nonstop to AMS or CDG and connect back to LHR, that might be something to consider. Otherwise, all TATL DL aircraft into LHR will have the same 767 flat beds.
Old Dec 26, 2013, 8:33 pm
Original Poster

First, thanks to all for the useful info.

Additional data points...

The 747 sounds nice - a few months ago we did a TPAC on a United 747-400 in C on the upper deck and I sure did like it up there. I assume the Delta 747 upper deck is also a great ride. I might consider that as an option (connecting through, I assume, MSP to AMS?)? Adds some extra legs and connections always increase the chance of something going sideways....but I do like that upstairs experience. Hmmm. Maybe the nonstop 76W outbound, then the more complex routing on the way back on the 747.

This is actually an intriguing thought, since I was also toying with the idea of returning not from LHR but from EDI (I'm assuming Delta allows an open jaw on a round trip - I'll check that). IF we return from EDI, we have to connect once for the TATL return, so doing that through AMS is no more burdensome that through LHR (and avoiding LHR is often a good choice...). Hmm, will need to think on that...but thanks for the idea.

As for seats, we will be traveling as a couple. That said, we've been married for a while so a pair of "honeymoon seats" are not critical - getting some sleep on the flight will be a priority. And I do like to look out the window

Thanks again, great info.
Old Dec 26, 2013, 8:46 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
The MSP-AMS flights are A330s or767-300s without flat bed seats so far.

I don't know what of any TATL routes have the 747 consistently. If there's something from the west coast, I would go for it, but I would not do an east coast connection for the 747 over another DL aircraft with flat beds.
Old Dec 26, 2013, 8:53 pm
Original Poster

Good to know, thanks.

I also can't help noticing an option to connect through CGD and JFK...yeah, two connections, but the TATL is on an Air France A380. Hmmm, now that's tempting...

FWIW I did a leg on a Thai A380 not long ago and it was nice. I'd expect the food on AF to be better though!
Old Dec 26, 2013, 9:10 pm

Programs: DL - DM, Charter KM; Marriott Ambassador
5A in the 763/4. The table is on the aisle side giving you a bit of privacy and you're midway in the cabin so less noise from the gallery or steerage. My favorite seat on that plane.
Old Dec 26, 2013, 9:34 pm

AF uses angled flat seats, not flat beds. Some AF aircraft have 2-3-2 seating in business class.
Old Dec 26, 2013, 9:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by nwflyboy
I'd expect the food on AF to be better though!
You'd be in for a wickedly negative surprise then. I personally would avoid AF like the plague. I've never had a positive experience with them in any class of service. And, as mentioned above, AF uses the dreaded angled "flat" seats.
Old Dec 26, 2013, 10:22 pm
Original Poster

Well then, OK, enough of that Air France silliness. I will give that crazy A380 option a pass. Thanks for the info!
Old Dec 27, 2013, 12:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Originally Posted by nwflyboy
Apologies if the answer to this is posted elsewhere - I looked, but did not find anything that addressed this question...
Are there meaningful differences between Delta's current seats across the various updated business class flights?
The BusinessElite seats on the modified 763s and the 764s are basically the same. Some perfer row 1 over others. I prefer odd numbered windows because the console is between the seat and the aisle.

Some find these seats narrow, but I've never had a problem sleeping in them.

I'm looking at booking flights from the US west coast to London, planning my travel for a full year ahead. Looking for a quality experience in business, a flat bed seat for the long flight.

I believe Delta has rolled out their new business product on some routes, and is in the process of updating the business cabins on older international long-hauls. I am reassured by Donald Sutherland and others that Delta has upped their game considerably. This is good news for me, as I look for a good night's sleep between home (Seattle) and London (and back).
If coming from the West Coast, SEA-LHR (as of March 30, 2014) is the only direct flight on DL metal.

Delta currently runs (I believe) a 767-300ER ("76W") a nonstop between SEA and LHR. I'm generally not a big fan of 767s. However, I hear the "new" DL business is good - and given a choice between a single non-stop, or connecting in ATL/MSP/elsewhere, if the seats are essentially the same...I'd be more inclined towards the non-stop (and a single non-stop would also give me a better shot at a half-decent night's sleep).
As I said, the seats are pretty much the same on the 763s and 764s used to/from LHR.

So my question boils down to this: there are probably several different Delta options that would get me to LHR in business class. Assuming that my options include "new business class" hard products, is there a significant difference between the hard product on one aircraft type/route than another? Or are all the "new business" seats (the ones with flat beds) essentially equivalent? If you were trying to get from SEA to LHR (and back) in business, what flights would you pick?

Thanks!

(PS: And if there's a thread comparing the new Delta business seats across aircraft types, please point me there.)
Your options:
DL Metal: SEA/MSP/DTW/ATL/JFK/BOS-LHR - all lie flat J seats
Virgin Atlantic (VS) flies from many West Coast cities to LHR
AF via CDG
KL via AMS

The following threads should help you:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...london-dl.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...-aircraft.html
Old Dec 27, 2013, 2:35 am

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
Anyone has a breakdown of which flights from AMS to the US feature which aircraft (and thus BE version?).
Old Dec 27, 2013, 2:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Originally Posted by KLflyerRalph
Anyone has a breakdown of which flights from AMS to the US feature which aircraft (and thus BE version?).
I don't think this exists specifically to any city and lie flats seats are not guaranteed to AMS.

1-2-1 in the J cabin indicates a modified a/c.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.