Broken arm, changing flight?

Old Dec 25, 13, 12:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta GM
Broken arm, changing flight?

So I fell out of a golf cart and broke my arm. I am having surgery to repair it on the 26th. I was also scheduled to fly to mco-dtw on the 26th so obviously that is no longer an option.

I booked first for this flight (g fare) and I was really excited for my first payed first class flight. Has anyone had any luck changing flights by a few days due to injury? I didn't get the travel insurance so that's not an option.
Old Dec 25, 13, 12:17 pm

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Originally Posted by jfadool View Post
So I fell out of a golf cart and broke my arm. I am having surgery to repair it on the 26th. I was also scheduled to fly to mco-dtw on the 26th so obviously that is no longer an option.

I booked first for this flight (g fare) and I was really excited for my first payed first class flight. Has anyone had any luck changing flights by a few days due to injury? I didn't get the travel insurance so that's not an option.
I did, once. I called Delta and they rebooked me. They asked me for my dr.'s contact information but later I asked the dr.'s office folks if they have been contacted and said no.

They can probably tell if it's a real situation or not (i.e., I was just rebooking for a few days later, didn't ask to change origin or destination, offered to provide a note from the dr.'s, etc). I was not charged any change fees even though it was a discounted coach fare. I did not purchase the travel insurance (in fact, I never do).

This was a few years ago, I don't know if policies have changed, but it's one data point.

EDIT: corrected typo.

Last edited by fliesdelta; Dec 25, 13 at 6:52 pm
Old Dec 25, 13, 1:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Assuming this is a domestic ticket purchased through DL, worst case should be $200 change fee plus any fare difference. Have you tried to check for G availability for your new desired dates?

ADDED: Checking EF, I see lots of G availability at the beginning of next week for MCO-DTW, although not for every flight. if your doctor will commit to when you can fly, try to change the ticket before the DM upgrade window opens for your new flight. Be sure to call DL before your current flight is scheduled to depart in order to avoid being marked as a no show for your flight.

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Dec 25, 13 at 1:13 pm
Old Dec 25, 13, 1:17 pm

Programs: DL PM - IC RA - HHonors Gold - Hertz Gold - AA - US - CO - Choice Privileges
Just do not call today. Medallion line staffed by a skeleton crew. No clue how to proceed with a same day change. So here I am at STL for 3.5 hours watching security. The public seating between check in and the train overlooks security.

On second thought... Call today as the flight is tomorrow. Good luck.
Old Dec 25, 13, 1:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by view-with-a-room View Post
Just do not call today. Medallion line staffed by a skeleton crew. No clue how to proceed with a same day change. So here I am at STL for 3.5 hours watching security. The public seating between check in and the train overlooks security.

On second thought... Call today as the flight is tomorrow. Good luck.
Starting today allows rime for the good old HUCA strategy. If surgery is tomorrow, I don't think OP should wait to tomorrow to try. What if he/she forgets to call before the flight's scheduled departure time?
Old Dec 25, 13, 2:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta GM
Ok, so I have all the paperwork from the doctor that includes all the dates of surgery. In speaking with the nurses they believe I could fly on the 27th. I don't want to push it so I'm going to shoot for the 28-29th. If I can't fly by then, I'll just fly home(gsp) on or around the 1st.

I'm going to start calling delta now to try to change it. Wish me luck.
Old Dec 25, 13, 3:55 pm

Programs: DL PM, AA PM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by fliesdelta View Post
I was not charged any change fees even though it was a discounted couch fare.
This is what I'm looking forward to most next year. Less travel, more couch fares!

Old Dec 25, 13, 6:58 pm

Programs: DL GM, AMEX Business Platinum, AMEX Delta Reserve, DL SkyClub Member, Choice PM
OP: Have had success atleast 3 times in the last 18 months, with challenges we have faced due to my son's accident in Rome, Italy July'12.
You have to call Delta Customer Service to cancel your ticketed itinerary.
Explain your health situation. They will ask and document the Problem/ Reason for change, ask and document Dr's name and address and details of the hospital etc.
There is no need to have a desired travel date now, when you cancel.
But please remember to save and file away the DL ticket number for the flight cancelled.
Not the PNR but the Ticket Number is required when you are well to travel.
Then again call Delta CS. and make the new travel reservation.

You should not be charged any change fees, but you will have to pay for fare difference (if any) between the fare of the original ticketed itinerary and the fare of the new itinerary.

Strongly recommend you call as soon as possible.
Old Dec 25, 13, 8:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Travel insurance will handle the whole thing for you. No need for lengthy calls and the like.
Old Dec 25, 13, 8:17 pm

Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
Travel insurance will handle the whole thing for you. No need for lengthy calls and the like.
Hummm, do people actually read postings ?

Originally Posted by jfadool View Post

Old Dec 25, 13, 9:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold
I broke my femur back in April and had a few domestic trips and an international booked and was PM at the time and called the PM desk and they just gave me credits to use within a year of the date that I booked the various trips. They asked for my surgeons name and phone but AFAIK they never called him. No change fees.

For the international ticket I was required to use the funds on another international ticket and it had to be booked in the same class of service.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: