Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL To Test Positive Claim Check Matching At LAS

Old Dec 24, 13, 3:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: Expedia All Your Booking Channels Are Belong To Us Club

Will Claim Check Matching Curb Las Vegas Bag Theft?

A spokeswoman for the Atlanta-based airline said Delta would test the effectiveness of the “positive bag match” program before determining whether to continue it and possibly use it at other airports.

Prior to 9/11, a consortium of airlines paid McCarran to staff the baggage claim areas with a bag tag matching system. When security check lines lengthened with increased security measures after 9/11, a majority of airlines voted to discontinue the baggage claim program in favor of increasing staffing at check-ins.

Give pax RFID wrist bands that match the RFID tags on the bags. Then set up an automated detector that flashes green when both wristlet and bag tag are detected (or red when a bag tag is detected without a matching wristlet). This will eliminate the need for a human to match the tags, and pax having to rummage around in their pockets for claim checks.
Old Dec 24, 13, 8:28 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Since this is primarily a story about a specific airline's actions, per http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...ing-helps.html I will move this to the DL forum, while leaving a permanent re-direct in Travel News for those wish to come to the story from there.

cblaisd
Moderator, Travel News

Last edited by cblaisd; Dec 24, 13 at 9:38 am Reason: Clarification
Old Dec 24, 13, 8:49 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Delta DM
This is a huge pain at LGA. I keep the luggage tag handy because I know what's coming, but most passengers have to look for it.
Old Dec 24, 13, 8:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by ausstone View Post
This is a huge pain at LGA. I keep the luggage tag handy because I know what's coming, but most passengers have to look for it.
This won't be a problem if they're wearing it.

It would also be a quick and easy way to verify that everyone who has checked a bag has boarded the flight for added security and to save time for flights to destinations requiring positive bag match.
Old Dec 24, 13, 8:57 am

Programs: Delta, Hertz, Hilton, IHG, Marriott, Hyatt
I don't check bags, but luggage theft has become a problem at SLC ever since light rail to the airport was completed. I'd like to see something implemented to reduce the theft.
Old Dec 24, 13, 9:00 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Delta DM
Agreed. Let's build the product, and make millions of SkyPesos. Although, it does sound like a hospital band which freaks me out.

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post

It would also be a quick and easy way to verify that everyone who has checked a bag has boarded the flight for added security and to save time for flights to destinations requiring positive bag match.
Old Dec 24, 13, 9:29 am

Programs: DL 4MM; DM
While it may curb theft---when they used to do this at LAS it was a total cluster. People were already aggravated from the long wait for bags to arrive. Then they sometimes they had to wait for a "checker" at the turnstiles. And then they had a long wait while idiots in front of them rummaged through their possessions and pockets trying to locate their claim checks. Whenever I had to pick up visiting friends I could pretty much count on adding an hour to their landing time before I could expect to see them emerge from the terminal. I'm a glad I don't need to check bags (carry on only) because I suspect this could be ugly (again).
Old Dec 24, 13, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Premier, AS MVPG
Originally Posted by ausstone View Post
They have this at ATL throughout the day as well. Not Delta employees, but a contracted bunch that are standing at the door. When I pass by in the morning on my way to work (normally about 830a), baggage claim is quiet so they just stop everyone.

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post

Some of us despise wearing items around our wrists. I haven't worn a watch in 10+ years since I can just look at my cell phone for the current time. Things like this feel extremely uncomfortable and most likely add more costs than adding a couple of $10/hour security guards checking physical tags.

Also, it's really not hard to find out right now if everyone has boarded a flight for positive bag match. There's even a neat little GUI now that gate agents can use to easily pull this up if they don't want to do it the old fashioned way in DLterm!
Old Dec 24, 13, 9:51 am

Programs: NW Gold and now Delta Gold
what she said

The bag check program at LAS was a horrid waste of time for the honest, and you could just walk around it very easily if you were dishonest. Hell, even if you're NOT dishonest, at some point I for one stopped humoring these people and would just leave without being matched and most of the time no one would bother to question me. Who has time for this?

Originally Posted by BamaGirl View Post
While it may curb theft---when they used to do this at LAS it was a total cluster. People were already aggravated from the long wait for bags to arrive. Then they sometimes they had to wait for a "checker" at the turnstiles. And then they had a long wait while idiots in front of them rummaged through their possessions and pockets trying to locate their claim checks. Whenever I had to pick up visiting friends I could pretty much count on adding an hour to their landing time before I could expect to see them emerge from the terminal. I'm a glad I don't need to check bags (carry on only) because I suspect this could be ugly (again).
Old Dec 24, 13, 9:54 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by BamaGirl View Post
. . . . And then they had a long wait while idiots in front of them rummaged through their possessions and pockets trying to locate their claim checks.
They may hafto have FAs make an announcement on all flights arriving at LAS for pax to keep their baggage claim checks handy. - - NOT that anyone really listens to FA announcements!!!

That said, while I hate tedious bag tag matching as much as everyone, it probably would have stopped my bag from being stolen here at SFO:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...n-bag-sfo.html

It cost SkyWest $1300, IIRC, and it really wasn't their fault. IMO, it was DL SFO baggage office employees' fault.
Old Dec 24, 13, 9:54 am

Not sure if I like the system or not based on plusses and minuses mentioned above by people with more experience in this method, but I can say as a frequent traveler to LAS that it is INSANE how easy it is to steal baggage there. There is literally nothing to stop a person who can claim to be at the airport gambling from sauntering over to the baggage carousel, grab a bag or two, and walk away.

In Europe it is done much better - walls between baggage claim and where the average person can get into the airport. People could try to get through but they would be noticed, even without anyone staffing it, as there are often one-way doors as well. Where is our American ingenuity on this problem? ;-)
Old Dec 24, 13, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by mersk862 View Post
They have this at ATL throughout the day as well. Not Delta employees, but a contracted bunch that are standing at the door. When I pass by in the morning on my way to work (normally about 830a), baggage claim is quiet so they just stop everyone.
Really? ATL is my home airport and I can't remember having my claim check checked in at least the past 3-4 years, if not longer.
Old Dec 24, 13, 10:13 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, Starwood Platinum
I went through it a few days ago at LAS. The FA made an announcement on the plane before deplaning to have your baggage receipts handy. Delta baggage claim has moved to the far end of the terminal and they check for receipts before you enter the claim area and match them on the way out.

A bit of a hassle but if it saves them money with reduced claims I can't argue with it.
Old Dec 24, 13, 10:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by knoa_knows View Post
Not sure if I like the system or not based on plusses and minuses mentioned above by people with more experience in this method, but I can say as a frequent traveler to LAS that it is INSANE how easy it is to steal baggage there. There is literally nothing to stop a person who can claim to be at the airport gambling from sauntering over to the baggage carousel, grab a bag or two, and walk away.

In Europe it is done much better - walls between baggage claim and where the average person can get into the airport. People could try to get through but they would be noticed, even without anyone staffing it, as there are often one-way doors as well. Where is our American ingenuity on this problem? ;-)
Often in Europe the luggage must still clear customs upon arrival so of course it is in a "sterile" area that cannot be accessed by people other than passengers. I rarely take domestic flights within Europe, but I seem to remember flights to NCE, NAP, and Greek islands where the baggage belts were not behind barricades. The same might be true for domestic flights in Germany as I remember walking past some baggage belts that weren't secure at FRA when connecting from TATL to schengen, DL to AF.

In many USA airports, we could move the TSA exits to be after baggage claim, but then folks would complain about not being able to be met in the baggage claim area.
Old Dec 24, 13, 10:25 am

Programs: Thai Gold, UA, AA, SWA
Quite a few of you are complaining about the delays and hassles of having their bags checked against the claim checks. So what do the flyers want? Less checking and more lost/stolen luggage? Pick only one.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: