Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

What happens if you "miss" a connection in NRT?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2013, 3:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta FO

I know this is out there... I'm flying LAX-SHA in March and have stops in NRT and PEK. I'm kinda desperate to have a long layover in NRT so I can check out town - I've never been. I only have a 2 hour layover. Say, I miss the connection, and the next flight is 28 hours later. I dunno, maybe I had too much fun in the SC or I got lost in the airport. What's the penalty? I did search for a stopover fare, but they are too expensive for this leisure traveler. I would gladly pay a change fee for a longer layover, like 23 hours, but the only layover available is 2 hours or 26 hours, which is considered a stopover.

Last edited by richardinmotion; Dec 22, 2013 at 3:45 pm
Old Dec 22, 2013, 6:03 pm

Sounds like a science experiment for someone with a lot of disposable cash.

It's one thing to miss a connection because of WX, Mechanical or Security (there would be no customs/immigration intl to intl connection). It's another to miss a flight for fun.

The only advice I have is expect no accommodations/mercy from the airline if you had checked luggage (as they would have to search the cargo hold for your bags).
Old Dec 22, 2013, 6:07 pm

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Diamond, Hertz 5*
Best case scenario is if that next flight has open seats in your purchased fare class and DL rebooks you for only the change fee. Worst case is you are considered a no-show, you lose all remaining value of your ticket and have to buy a whole new ticket for the rest of your itinerary.
Old Dec 22, 2013, 6:36 pm

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
Gamers make DL cynical which hurts all of us.
Old Dec 22, 2013, 6:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta FO
I knew it would not be a popular question. Just looking for opinions and feedback. Thanks.
Old Dec 22, 2013, 7:07 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
The NRT hub is timed and operated for connecting traffic. Arguments like "I got lost in the airport" are unlikely to hold much weight, as (eg) there is staff on hand to direct you exactly where you need to go. If you're going to do this, be prepared to pay for a new ticket, though as usual YMMV according to the agent you get.

That said, I'm surprised you can't get a stopover. Pretty much every ticket (revenue and award) transiting NRT I've booked allowed for a stopover in Tokyo, and I've taken advantage of this several times. Also, if you're flying out of LAX, try LAX-HND/NRT-PVG. That should require an overnight.
Old Dec 22, 2013, 7:18 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
Originally Posted by bennos
The NRT hub is timed and operated for connecting traffic. Arguments like "I got lost in the airport" are unlikely to hold much weight, as (eg) there is staff on hand to direct you exactly where you need to go. If you're going to do this, be prepared to pay for a new ticket, though as usual YMMV according to the agent you get.
My recollection of deplaning at NRT (I was one of the last people off a 747 from LAX) was that after a relatively short distance, maybe a minute of walking, you were compelled to go one of two ways: to the left was the security clearance area to enter the concourse for the connecting flights; to the right was the way to immigration and customs and the airport exit. Interestingly out of 300+ pax, I was one of the few whose trip ended at NRT (almost everyone else was connecting on to somewhere else). Unlike, say, AMS, where you are not compelled to go through immigration right away and can actually access an airport lounge or the restaurant/shopping area, there is really no place to get lost in NRT upon deplaning.
Old Dec 22, 2013, 7:50 pm

Now I would never do this but what if you (cough) felt a little sick when you landed?
Old Dec 22, 2013, 7:52 pm

Programs: DL PM - IC RA - HHonors Gold - Hertz Gold - AA - US - CO - Choice Privileges
0-1 day visit -- visit Narita (a taste of Japan)

2-5 day visit -- visit Tokyo (a taste of Tokyo)

Tokyo is $20-$200 each way and 2 hours w/ $250-$500 a night hotels. Narita is $0 each way and 10 minutes w/ $75 a night hotels w/ the circle bus, malls, temple, restaurants and endless lovely streets to walk.

And as noted, no good excuse to miss a connection at NRT.
Old Dec 22, 2013, 8:00 pm

Programs: DL PM - IC RA - HHonors Gold - Hertz Gold - AA - US - CO - Choice Privileges
Originally Posted by sbjnyc
Now I would never do this but what if you (cough) felt a little sick when you landed?
expect to be quarantined...
Old Dec 22, 2013, 8:04 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by sbjnyc
My wife did that once and we spent the night in Narita(city). They just put us on the next day flight and did not charge us anything. They pulled our bags off as well. She was actually motion sick from our inbound flight from SIN, but that magically disappeared once we got to our hotel room.
Old Dec 22, 2013, 8:08 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
With checked bags, might note that you're not just inconveniencing the airline, but all of the other pax and crew on the plane who take a delay while your bags are being pulled off.

Selfish much?
Old Dec 22, 2013, 8:24 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by Alpha Golf
With checked bags, might note that you're not just inconveniencing the airline, but all of the other pax and crew on the plane who take a delay while your bags are being pulled off.

Selfish much?
Who? My sick wife?
Old Dec 22, 2013, 8:27 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
Originally Posted by view-with-a-room
expect to be quarantined...
One of the interesting aspects of walking toward immigration at NRT is that you walk through a health check point. There are government employees standing in doorways on either side of the corridor wearing masks and looking out for travelers who appear to be sick; presumably they pull these people into the offices on either side of the corridor before they are able to walk up to the immigration inspectors.
Old Dec 22, 2013, 9:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
You're assuming that if you "miss" the connection, DL will put you on their flight to PEK/SHA the next day. however, there might be some SkyTeam flights using MU or CZ that leave NRT later as well as very early morning flights the next day. Do not assume....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.