DL 1950 SEA-MSP oversold today

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2013, 12:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM 2 Million Miler, Hilton DM, Priority Club Platinum
DL 1950 SEA-MSP oversold today

Asked for volunteers for $300, no takers
Asked for volunteers for $400, no takers
Up to $600 now with an overnight hotel and a flight tomorrow........
Old Dec 20, 2013, 12:51 pm

I would be happy to take it. Would be my first VDB this year, or the last two years, or even before that.
Old Dec 20, 2013, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
$600 is a fine offer IMO, I am sure they will get folks @ that level.
Old Dec 20, 2013, 2:09 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles PM
Delays

In the past the usual guidelines used to compensate VDB was $200 for 2 to 4 hours and $400 for over 4 hours. Considering this is greater than 12 hours and Christmas, $600 should be the minimum.
Old Dec 20, 2013, 3:06 pm

Programs: Delta Dirt Medallion,AA,USairways, WN Rapid Rewards, National Emerald Club
Originally Posted by jzumrick
In the past the usual guidelines used to compensate VDB was $200 for 2 to 4 hours and $400 for over 4 hours. Considering this is greater than 12 hours and Christmas, $600 should be the minimum.
IDB compensation for a delay more that 2 hours is $1300.
Old Dec 20, 2013, 3:08 pm

Programs: Delta Dirt Medallion,AA,USairways, WN Rapid Rewards, National Emerald Club
Originally Posted by cfischer
$600 is a fine offer IMO, I am sure they will get folks @ that level.
Its a ridiculous offer IMO, given that IDB compensation for a delay over 2 hours is $1300. In this case an overnight is required which is even worse.
Old Dec 20, 2013, 3:24 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, DL GM, AA Plat, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by hazelrah
IDB compensation for a delay more that 2 hours is $1300.
Incorrect. For IDB where you arrive at your destination 2+ hours later than your original flight the compensation is 400% of the one way fare up to a maximum of $1300. If they were to IDB people they would start with people who are on L/U/T/X/V/E fares which probably have a 1 way base fare of <$150, which would net under $600 in an IDB situation.
Old Dec 20, 2013, 3:33 pm

Programs: DL PM. 1MM
I was scheduled to fly EWR-ATL today on the 2:15p. when I checked in yesterday I was given the standard bid for VDB through the web site. I chose to enter $200 knowing that I wouldn't accept anything near that amount unless DL would fly me on a flight 2-3 hours later (there is a 3:30p if I recall).

Anyway, I'm running a bit late to EWR but arrive at the gate just as 1st class was boarding and the agent is frantically calling my name. I told her yes I'm still interested in volunteering but depends on the the offer and the new flight etc. she asks me to hang on to see what she can do...

5 minutes later comes back with a terrific offer out of another NYC airport tonight, confirmed 1st, meal voucher, $400 delta dollars and taxi to new airport. Thanks Delta.

As has happened the last 2 years, lots of flights are oversold so book your travel earlier than you MUST be at your destination and wait for VDB offer. There will be plenty.

Funny thing is I booked this flight with skyPesos (40K level) so at worst i'm breaking even. I love this!
Old Dec 20, 2013, 4:19 pm

Programs: DL PM, 1MM, DL SC, Kimpton Inner Circle
Originally Posted by mridley2
5 minutes later comes back with a terrific offer out of another NYC airport tonight, confirmed 1st, meal voucher, $400 delta dollars and taxi to new airport. Thanks Delta.
That's a pretty sweet deal!
Old Dec 20, 2013, 4:27 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime SkyClub, AS MVP
Originally Posted by anbhc
Asked for volunteers for $300, no takers
Asked for volunteers for $400, no takers
Up to $600 now with an overnight hotel and a flight tomorrow........
Perhaps AS should add some flights to help out its partner [sic].
Old Dec 20, 2013, 4:46 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA PS, MR Plt, A-Club Plt, HH G, Avis First
I believe the 1:22 SEA-ATL was oversold yesterday.

During check-in I was asked about a VDB which I passed on as I had to get home that night.

I'm not 100% sure but we did leave late which would make sense if the agents were working thru an oversold situation.
Old Dec 20, 2013, 4:53 pm

You know that system when you check in where the computer tries to find a low bidder in order to correct an oversold situation? Does anyone actually use that? Nothing worse than flying on an F ticket and getting these insulting low offer amounts. Just curious.
Old Dec 20, 2013, 4:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Yes, tons of people use it. But, DL largely does not, other than to identify people who might accept a VDB and for the valuable metrics it provides.

The Friday before Christmas is a tough VDB. Especially for people who have limited flexibility for vacations and don't fly much.
Old Dec 20, 2013, 6:46 pm

Programs: AS 75k
I've been putting $500 in (which is usually more than I paid). The actual number doesn't seem to matter, as Often1 stated. I've been offered $200 once (would have been a 4 or 5 hour delay, not interested) and $600 once (overnight delay).

If I hadn't been busy this weekend, I would have bought a ticket just to play the VDB lotto.
Old Dec 20, 2013, 8:13 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Often1
Yes, tons of people use it. But, DL largely does not, other than to identify people who might accept a VDB and for the valuable metrics it provides.
A GA today was looking for volunteers. When he announced the oversold situation he said he was looking for 3 volunteers and it would be a bidding system - people could bid from $1 to $400 and he would take the lowest 3 bidders. You had to go to him to bid and check options for next available. That was the first time I had heard a GA reference the bidding process.

I think we left with 1 empty seat so no one ended up with a VDB. Good thing, based on the frequency of his announcements before boarding there weren't many takers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.