overhead room on crj 900

Old Dec 17, 2013, 9:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Skymiles
overhead room on crj 900

Search turned up nothing..I will be flying in first class on a CRJ 900 and am wondering how big the over head space will be? I have never flown that size airplane before. I have some presents I need to hand carry and have a small tote bag I will be using (cloth with handles). Will that fit in the overhead?
Old Dec 17, 2013, 9:31 am

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Audie
Search turned up nothing..I will be flying in first class on a CRJ 900 and am wondering how big the over head space will be? I have never flown that size airplane before. I have some presents I need to hand carry and have a small tote bag I will be using (cloth with handles). Will that fit in the overhead?
In F on the CR9, the A side is basically nonexistant. It might be able to sit a very, very small present, but not much at all. The B-C side is small, but I've fit a very small roll-aboard in there. Very small. Not standard size at all. In other words, there's some room, and a small tote bag will probably fit on the B-C side, but make sure you don't have anything that's especially long in any direction. The bins are shallow and thin.
Old Dec 17, 2013, 11:07 am

Programs: Whatever gets me there faster.
Originally Posted by jrkmsp
The bins are shallow and thin.
It depends which ship works the flight. The newer NextGen birds have bigger bins, which fit roll-aboards nicely.
Old Dec 17, 2013, 1:53 pm
Original Poster

depends which ship works the flight

It is the MSP-IAD route if that helps on the equipment.
Old Dec 17, 2013, 3:00 pm

Programs: DL, UA
On the 900's I've been on, I've always been able to fit a full size roll-aboard on the BC side in F. As others have said, the A side is essentially good as a place to store a coat and that's about it. A tote bag should be no problem on the BC side.
Old Dec 17, 2013, 3:26 pm

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
Originally Posted by DXjr
It depends which ship works the flight. The newer NextGen birds have bigger bins, which fit roll-aboards nicely.
Of all the RJ9s I have flown, I have not seen these. What routes do they fly?
Old Dec 17, 2013, 3:35 pm

Programs: DL - DM MM / UA - PP / LH - SEN / Marriott - AMB-LTT / Avis - PC
Originally Posted by Audie
depends which ship works the flight

It is the MSP-IAD route if that helps on the equipment.
I flew this route 2 weeks ago and it was a CRJ-900, which was the NextGen. I also flew the same type of aircraft from ALB to ATL. I travel with a large military-grade backpack that is similar to the size of a roll-aboard. It fit alright in FC, however in both MSP and ALB, the gate agents were running around the gate seating area, pink tagging everything in sight.
Old Dec 17, 2013, 3:56 pm

Programs: AS 75k
The new ones do have room for a standard roller.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWo_hT7xKPQ

Roughly 1:15 in.

That said, of the CR9s I've been on, I've yet to see this. I wouldn't count on having an NG overhead. The flip side is that since rollers get plane-side checked, there's usually a fair amount of space in the overheads for smaller items (laptop bags and squishable backpacks fit).
Old Dec 17, 2013, 4:36 pm

Programs: DL Pork Medallion, PP, GE
I remember reading threads about CRJ bin space last year before my first flight on a CR9, thinking "Surely, I can at least put my backpack above me on the A side."
Nope. Not at all. It'll fit a book, and by book I mean paperback novel. They really are tiny. However, the CD side is decent. You'll fit a backpack, messenger bag, laptop bag, or very small rollaboard up there.
Old Dec 17, 2013, 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by Xeno
Of all the RJ9s I have flown, I have not seen these. What routes do they fly?
Whatever routes see CRJ-900's. Honestly, I couldn't tell you which ship is which, because that changes daily.
Old Dec 17, 2013, 6:06 pm

Programs: DL ♦, Marriot Plt, NATL EE
Originally Posted by DXjr
Whatever routes see CRJ-900's. Honestly, I couldn't tell you which ship is which, because that changes daily.
Which company flies the newer ones?
Old Dec 17, 2013, 6:37 pm

Originally Posted by Medeski
Which company flies the newer ones?
All of them. The CRJ NextGen ships were introduced in 2007, and all of the regional carriers that fly the CRJ-700/900 have recieved new ships since the NextGen rollout. As a rough guess, though, I'd say that of the current CRJ-900 fleet, about 60% are NextGen, and of the CRJ-700, probably about 20-30%, with some carriers having a higher total percentage than others.

Last edited by DXjr; Dec 17, 2013 at 6:45 pm
Old Dec 17, 2013, 6:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM (FO soon), A3 Gold, TK Classic Plus, SPG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Diamond, National EE
Y'all are just too used to massive overstuffed noncompliant rollaboards. Mine fits in every cr9 and even cr7 (older interior is snug). I believe most of the cr9s and possibly even cr7s are nexgen.
Old Dec 17, 2013, 7:57 pm

They fit my rollerboard. In fact, any plane with a first class cabin will fit my rollerboard. That being said, there are some gate agents that will insist that you gate check all rollerboards even if they do fit.
Old Dec 17, 2013, 8:16 pm

Programs: DL Pork Medallion, PP, GE
Originally Posted by Flyer girl
They fit my rollerboard. In fact, any plane with a first class cabin will fit my rollerboard. That being said, there are some gate agents that will insist that you gate check all rollerboards even if they do fit.

And then there are those who remove the pink tag on the way down the jetway. I'm not one of them, since I only ever bring backpacks or laptop bags as carryons, nor do I necessarily condone such behavior. But, if you've flown RJs a million times and are more than certain that it'll fit, I don't see anything wrong with taking the pink tag from the GA (to avoid a scene/holding up boarding), and then stashing the tag and proceeding to stow your carryon.

Audie, the CD side of the plane will be just fine, as long as you get on the plane before everyone else!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.