Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

VS to charge for advance seat assignment in Y

Old Dec 16, 13, 7:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL FO, BA Bronze, Avis Preferred

Now that VS will be charging for advanced seat assignment in Y (in a very complicated rollout), I'm wondering whether DL elites will be able to to select seats for free. VS Gold and above, as well as those in fill Y, PE and Upper Class, won't have to pay.
Old Dec 16, 13, 7:43 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
My guess is elites will remain free and kettles will pay.
Old Dec 16, 13, 7:54 am

Programs: Delta DM, AA EXP, SPG PLT75, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by PDXNRTLHR View Post
Now that VS will be charging for advanced seat assignment in Y (in a very complicated rollout), I'm wondering whether DL elites will be able to to select seats for free. VS Gold and above, as well as those in fill Y, PE and Upper Class, won't have to pay.
I'm very curious to see this VS-Delta partnership develop. I took my first VS flight last week and can definitely say that there is a strong positives but more negatives of going VS over Delta.

Without a doubt, the Clubhouse is fantastic. The fact that they have an IPA available, to wash down the very solid food(I had some Indian dish, soup and a sandwich), is already a big win for me. I typically will not go to Business Lounges, unless I am flying OneWorld in Asia, but this is the first time that I truly enjoyed a longer(~3 hrs) connection time.

As far as the flight itself, I can't say I was very impressed by VS hard product. We were flying the A346 and it seemed pretty beat up already. The TV was scratched and the remote functionality was very dicey, as it would constantly double skip.

The food was probably one of the worst that I have ever experienced. My meat lasagna was on par with the mystery meat that Alitalia gave me last year. Although, the physical menu was a nice touch for Y.

Lastly, this wasn't a very big deal but still irked me the wrong way a bit. As I was boarding, the gentleman in front of me got an upgrade and the GA told him with a smile that it was his lucky day. Since I heard this, with a cordial smile I asked her if maybe it was my lucky day too. Before she even scanned by BP(and the flight was overbooked), I got a dry "No" thrown in my face. Not a big deal but just found it weird. Delta reps are definitely a lot more friendly.

Sorry to go on a tangent and I didn't really think my experience was good/bad enough to post about it in a separate thread but OP's point is something that I thought about a lot. Will the relationship between VS and DL be more like AS or AF/KLM. Having an ability to choose seats early for free would be a nice touch. I would also love to know what the upgrade chances are for a DL PM/DM on a sold out flight.