Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

What date will AS and DL announce that their partnership will end?

What date will AS and DL announce that their partnership will end?

Old Mar 23, 2014, 12:11 am
Original Poster

Cranky Flier:

And Now an Update on Delta’s Efforts to Push Alaska Away
Old Mar 23, 2014, 12:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
May 1 is my guess.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 4:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by javabytes
May 1 is my guess.
Omniscience may be your strong suit. Have you considered a career in fortune telling?

Alaska vs. Delta Drama Continues — Double Miles To London!

"But Alaska’s latest salvo has to be the dirtiest of them all. Delta is launching nonstop service between Seattle and London Heathrow this week. And to celebrate, Alaska is offering double miles on flights to London, as long as you fly British Airways."
Old Mar 24, 2014, 5:57 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by LarkSFO
Omniscience may be your strong suit. Have you considered a career in fortune telling?

"But Alaska’s latest salvo has to be the dirtiest of them all. Delta is launching nonstop service between Seattle and London Heathrow this week. And to celebrate, Alaska is offering double miles on flights to London, as long as you fly British Airways."
Hilarious!
I bet BA must be very pleased with all of this. Free advertisement!
Old Mar 25, 2014, 12:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Talking

Didn't realize that DL started this week.

The press release was epic (emphasis mine):

Originally Posted by alaskaair.com/newsroom
Double Down to London! Alaska Airlines Celebrates British Airways Partnership With Double Miles Between Seattle and London

3/24/2014 4:58:38 AM

SEATTLE — Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan members flying on partner British Airways between Seattle and London can earn double miles* on travel from March 24 through June 24, 2014. British Airways offers 10 flights a week between Seattle and London's Heathrow Airport. From London, Mileage Plan members can enjoy easy connections to hundreds of cities throughout Europe, Africa, the Middle East and Asia.

"This is a terrific opportunity for our members to add miles to their Mileage Plan account while enjoying the unsurpassed service of our longstanding international partner British Airways," said Joe Sprague, Alaska Airlines' vice president of marketing. "Our award-winning Mileage Plan delivers global access to our customers, who can earn and redeem miles across 14 airline partners to over 700 destinations worldwide."

Alaska recently enhanced its Mileage Plan by introducing mix-and-match one-way partner awards and allowing all miles flown on all of its international partners to count toward MVP elite status. With Mileage Plan, there is no minimum spend requirement to achieve elite status, and customers enjoy generous availability on award redemptions, one-way travel awards, and combination miles-and-money award redemptions.

Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan also rewards customers with elite status faster than any other frequent flier program. Elite-level status is earned for as little as 20,000 miles a year for travel only on Alaska Airlines. If customers combine travel on multiple airlines, elite-level status begins at 25,000 miles.

Alaska Airlines MVP, MVP Gold and Gold 75K Mileage Plan elite-level members enjoy priority boarding, two free checked bags, complimentary upgrades on Alaska Airlines, as well as bonus miles on every flight with Alaska Airlines and other elite-qualifying partner airlines, among other benefits.

To qualify for this offer, travelers must be members of Alaska Airlines' Mileage Plan and register at www.alaskaair.com. Customers who have not yet joined Mileage Plan can enroll online at no cost. For more information and complete double mile rules, visit www.alaskaair.com.

Alaska Airlines, a subsidiary of Alaska Air Group (NYSE: ALK), together with its partner regional airlines, serves nearly 100 cities through an expansive network in Alaska, the Lower 48, Hawaii, Canada and Mexico. Alaska Airlines has ranked "Highest in Customer Satisfaction Among Traditional Network Carriers" in the J.D. Power and Associates North America Airline Satisfaction StudySM for six consecutive years from 2008 to 2013. For reservations, visit www.alaskaair.com. For more news and information, visit the Alaska Airlines Newsroom at www.alaskaair.com/newsroom.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 9:59 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors

Go Alaska!

The way to stop a bully is to stand up to him.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 11:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by beckoa
Didn't realize that DL started this week.

The press release was epic (emphasis mine):
Well done!

AS is clearly reading FT... And know the way to an elites heart (and wallet) is through Double anything offers...

The focus on DL's recent flyer unfriendly moves is hilarious. Do you think DL's lawyers are poring over the contract right now trying to figure out how to terminate their agreement?

How does the DL product on this route compare to BA? Hopefully some good price competition coming!
Old Mar 25, 2014, 2:27 pm

Programs: Diamond Medallion, Kryptonium Medallion, Hilton HHonors Diamond
interesting. I am moving back to PDX this week. I already have a few flights for work trips booked out of PDX but some of the itins are a bit surprising.

For example, I want to fly to ANC from PDX on 4/21 and return 4/28. There are three direct flights on AS but I can't get them to come up on my search. I tweeted DELTAAssist and they claim that not every flight by AS is codeshared. So basically i'm stuck with a 7:30 flight duration on a flight that from PDX< should only be about 3.5 hours.

Tempted just to fly AS and then have the miles credited back to DL but that is ridiculous...
Old Mar 25, 2014, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Do you think DL's lawyers are poring over the contract right now trying to figure out how to terminate their agreement?
Nope. I think they want to keep AS a partner bringing them feed as long as possible. Of course they must know AS is feeling attacked and AS may be looking to terminate the agreement. I think the egos in the ATL feel they have a better product than AS but are frustrated by all the 'love' people have for AS.

But I hope at the end of the day cooler heads will prevail and DL and AS will realize that they are both good partners and competitors.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 3:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Originally Posted by JulienMSP
interesting. I am moving back to PDX this week. I already have a few flights for work trips booked out of PDX but some of the itins are a bit surprising.

For example, I want to fly to ANC from PDX on 4/21 and return 4/28. There are three direct flights on AS but I can't get them to come up on my search. I tweeted DELTAAssist and they claim that not every flight by AS is codeshared. So basically i'm stuck with a 7:30 flight duration on a flight that from PDX< should only be about 3.5 hours.

Tempted just to fly AS and then have the miles credited back to DL but that is ridiculous...
Unless you need the miles I'd do the n/s on AS.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 5:26 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
Nope. I think they want to keep AS a partner bringing them feed as long as possible. Of course they must know AS is feeling attacked and AS may be looking to terminate the agreement. I think the egos in the ATL feel they have a better product than AS but are frustrated by all the 'love' people have for AS.

But I hope at the end of the day cooler heads will prevail and DL and AS will realize that they are both good partners and competitors.
This urination match needs to end. Both airlines still need each other. There is no way that DL can ever get the small city traffic into SEA to feed their new international routes. They still need AS. AS still gets some revenue from DL tickets and if they terminate the agreement, they will lose DL elites who used to buy tickets directly from their website like me. It will hurt them.

I still use AS to go from SJC to Hawaii. DL only does SFO - HNL (the one island I don't want to visit) and the return is a red eye. AS flies to all the other islands.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 5:29 pm

Programs: 4MM/DM, Marriott Lifetime PM, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum
This whole war between AS and DL is hurting the flyers who depend on the partnership to fly from point A to point B on a regular basis.
I've been flying in and out of ANC for a couple of years now and depend on the partnership to allow me to get flights to make my obligations. With the latest, I won't be able to fly when I need to because DL doesn't want to codeshare between SEA-ANC and DL doesn't want to fly 10+ flights a day. One or even 3 is no match for AS but dropping the codeshare completely between SEA-ANC leaves this DL flyer with few options.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 7:12 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
This talk of AS divorcing DL is funny. DL accounts for between 2 and 3% of AS's revenue. That is what has AS scared. They know they need DL more than DL needs them and they are panicking. They are trying to cobble together some scattered combination of carriers to replace DL should DL decide to keep that revenue to themselves.

I mean, this double miles for partner spend is pure desperation - they give more miles for the same meager mileage revenue and then just pay it all out upon redemption, possibly even to DL. If AS thinks that running a mileage program is their key to profitability, then more power to them, but there would seem to be cheaper ways to run a loyalty program than propping up an airline.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 8:13 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by pbarnette
This talk of AS divorcing DL is funny. DL accounts for between 2 and 3% of AS's revenue. That is what has AS scared. They know they need DL more than DL needs them and they are panicking. They are trying to cobble together some scattered combination of carriers to replace DL should DL decide to keep that revenue to themselves.

I mean, this double miles for partner spend is pure desperation - they give more miles for the same meager mileage revenue and then just pay it all out upon redemption, possibly even to DL. If AS thinks that running a mileage program is their key to profitability, then more power to them, but there would seem to be cheaper ways to run a loyalty program than propping up an airline.
Do you have a shrine to Richard Anderson in your home?
Old Mar 26, 2014, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
I vote for Jan 1, 2015 the date that the DL "enhancements" to Skypesos kick in. This will be done to prevent low value customers flying DL and crediting AS.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.