Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

What date will AS and DL announce that their partnership will end?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What date will AS and DL announce that their partnership will end?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2014, 11:38 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
That would be horrible for connections at DTW between DL and AS. IIRC the other arilines MCT is something like three and a half hours at DTW. AFAIK there's no lounge for AS in the other terminal either. However, connections with AA, few as they are, should be pretty easy.
I'd think that DL would already be connecting most of those folks via one of their 4 flights between SEA and DTW that currently exist, or possibly one of the (if I am counting correctly) 24 flights between SEA and one of MSP, SLC, ATL, or JFK. Or possibly via NRT, AMS, or CDG on flights from SEA. I'd also think they'd prefer to keep you on their own metal.

Sometimes flights are there for O/D or even just to try and make a point to a competitor. Not every flight is considered with regard for connections.

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
.....and KLM?

I would think that any partner long haul international flights would use McNamara, for example if VS/CZ/MU/AZ wanted to fly to DTW. Maybe not so for KE?
Who knows. Wake me when any of those airlines mentioned decide to serve DTW. I think KL is the only one that has, but given they are in the JV, I think it safe to say they would serve McNamara.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 11:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by hazelrah
Check it out - KLM doesn't make the cut.

http://www.metroairport.com/Airlines.aspx
That link suggests that KLM doesn't fly to DTW at all. Nor do any other SkyTeam partners except AF. Hence the evidence can be interpreted either as "only DL and AF" or "all SkyTeam carriers."
Old Feb 11, 2014, 11:48 am
Suspended

AS is so cute. Like the little engine that could.

I think it telling that, while these may be seen as some sort of response to DL, they are actually poorly timed to tie into AS's network. Even several of the AS loyalists on the thread acknowledge as much. Could be as much about utilization as anything.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 1:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: DM
Is it premature to talk about AS in the past tense?
Old Feb 11, 2014, 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by Deadtail
Is it premature to talk about AS in the past tense?
I don't see the relationship repairing itself. Furthermore, I think DL understands that there's a lot of negative will in the FFP these days and people are looking for alternatives to credit BIS. Last thing they need is AS creating a bridge between AA and DL allowing folks to simply buy the cheapest ticket.

I think DL was always going to make a move on AS. Too much money on the table in that neck of the woods. But the partnership with AA most likely forced them to show their hand early.

I would also say that without a DOT sanctioned JV DL has no right to make any demands of AS in terms of who they do or do not do business with. The act of doing so could very well be construed as attempted price fixing. Actually executing a back room deal like that opens an organization to hefty fines and possible jail time.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 2:36 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by motytrah
I think DL was always going to make a move on AS. Too much money on the table in that neck of the woods. But the partnership with AA most likely forced them to show their hand early.
The problem is that AA won't be satisfied with scraps either, so any solace AS finds in their arms is likely to be short-lived, in addition to being less profitable than the relationship with DL.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by pbarnette
The problem is that AA won't be satisfied with scraps either, so any solace AS finds in their arms is likely to be short-lived, in addition to being less profitable than the relationship with DL.
I don't think AA has the gates in that neck of the woods to get the upper hand anytime soon. However, AA is likely a less profitable venture in the short term.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 3:09 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by motytrah
I don't think AA has the gates in that neck of the woods to get the upper hand anytime soon. However, AA is likely a less profitable venture in the short term.
I think that gates have a way of appearing when airport authorities see the opportunity to drive traffic.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 6:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: DM
I don't see how AS is going to survive on their own. Delta seems serious about adding routes to SEA to feed their intl flights. I don't know if AS has been resistant to a JV with Delta, or reluctant to dump AA......or if Delta is just being a predator at this point and smells blood, but AS has themselves in a corner now. AA can't save them, and why would they even try.
Old Feb 19, 2014, 10:06 am
Original Poster

REGISTER TO EARN DOUBLE MILES AND DOUBLE MQMs ALL YEAR LONG.

Alaska can not be very pleased with this move...

Register here: http://dmn.delta.com/ace_plrs/seattledouble/
Old Feb 19, 2014, 10:33 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Deadtail
I don't see how AS is going to survive on their own. Delta seems serious about adding routes to SEA to feed their intl flights. I don't know if AS has been resistant to a JV with Delta, or reluctant to dump AA......or if Delta is just being a predator at this point and smells blood, but AS has themselves in a corner now. AA can't save them, and why would they even try.
I don't see the doomsday scenerio for AS that some do. I'm not sure if everyone here realizes just how many airlines there were in the pre-deregulation days. There were A LOT. To me it says something that an airlines the size of AS has been able to stay independent on profitable for so long. With or without Delta, AS will be fine. They are the king of codeshares and can funnel their passengers onto other carriers if they so choose. I can't understand why some are simply just writing AS off just because they may part ways with DL. Here's a thought... AS is significantly smaller and yet they've managed to compete in the world of the big guys for so many years and unlike DL they never had to file bankruptcy. IMO, a DL loyalist has no business throwing stones at AS...
Old Feb 19, 2014, 11:19 am

Programs: Delta PM, Delta Reserve, Amex Plat, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold ;)
Originally Posted by LarkSFO
Alaska can not be very pleased with this move...

Register here: http://dmn.delta.com/ace_plrs/seattledouble/
Is it me or is anyone else getting told they are not eligible to register for this promotion? In the eligibility small print there is nothing about it being targeted, yet when I put in my SkyMiles number it doesn't work.

Anyone else?
Old Feb 19, 2014, 11:30 am

Originally Posted by DCAproducer
Is it me or is anyone else getting told they are not eligible to register for this promotion? In the eligibility small print there is nothing about it being targeted, yet when I put in my SkyMiles number it doesn't work.

Anyone else?
It's for Washington State residents only
Old Feb 19, 2014, 11:36 am

Programs: Delta PM, Delta Reserve, Amex Plat, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold ;)
Originally Posted by Lulu Chen
It's for Washington State residents only
I see that now. Silly me I read the eligibility portion, not the bonus offer portion.
Old Mar 10, 2014, 10:48 pm
Original Poster

OK, you guys can start all the other threads you want! Just remember who initiated the conversation...

#http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...h-flights.html

#http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...s-seattle.html

Alaska And Delta Drop Codeshares

I am still thinking my initial prediction of May 1, 2014 is slightly ahead of it's time. But you never know, things are devolving quickly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.