Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

What date will AS and DL announce that their partnership will end?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What date will AS and DL announce that their partnership will end?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2014, 9:08 pm

It appears that it only affects BE award ticket and it's in-line with AA.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 2:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Originally Posted by ND76
Originally Posted by TTT
I thought Menzies was the ground support in SEA but I have seen a few DGS trucks moving about the AS gates so I don't know.

Outside of SEA I know DL handles AS flights at ATL, IAH, SAT, SLC and possibly others.
DGS is AS's contractor at OGG. Interestingly, at DCA, where Alaska uses one of Delta's gates (Gate 18), AS uses Worldwide Flight Services, which is the contractor for Spirit at DCA. AS appeared to use Menzies exclusively at PDX and at SEA.
When AS first launched OGG service, they used UA
Old Feb 6, 2014, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Heard a rumor from the land of Delta that this is how the partnership got to where it is today:

1. DL approached AS about having an exclusive partnership with DL
2. AS said no
3. DL said, fine, then we're coming to SEA
4. And so the spat began
Old Feb 6, 2014, 6:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mnredfox
Heard a rumor from the land of Delta that this is how the partnership got to where it is today:

1. DL approached AS about having an exclusive partnership with DL
2. AS said no
3. DL said, fine, then we're coming to SEA
4. And so the spat began
Leading to their impending divorce on May 1.

OK, even I am starting to doubt my predicted date.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 9:18 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, Hilton Diamond VIP, Marriott Platinum
Never.

DL and AS have been partners for over 21 years and will continue to do so. This relationship started with Northwest and Horizon.

I do appreciate DL taking a firm stand with the sponsoring the Seattle community and taking control of partnerships like with the Seattle Seahawks whereas AS had to settle for Russell Wilson as their "Chief Football Officer", haha.

I think people forget they are formidable competitors and DL's SEA GM is going to help put Delta metal where it makes sense.

If you listened to Brad Tilden on a more recent earnings call, AS took the emotions out of the equation as a reaction. Not everything AS is doing is perfect either. Removal of 737NGs from the fleet to the projected removal of mainline aircraft in markets like ANC-FAI to more frequency with the Q. A lot of mumblings about that, but the market up there already sees Dash-8s with Era and smaller props.

Sure they are operating at an arms length partnership now and that is perfectly okay. AS can't really hurt DL. Now please enter markets like SEA-EUG, SEA-BOI, SEA-GEG. Whoops, did I drop the business plan down on the table?

Last edited by technole; Feb 6, 2014 at 9:23 pm
Old Feb 7, 2014, 5:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
DL and SQ has a long partnership, in fact one of the earliest partnerships in the industry. That didn't prevent the ending of the relationship several years ago, so I'm not convinced that the fact that DL and AS have been partners for 21 years is an argument that it will continue.
Old Feb 7, 2014, 6:53 am

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
DL and SQ has a long partnership, in fact one of the earliest partnerships in the industry. That didn't prevent the ending of the relationship several years ago, so I'm not convinced that the fact that DL and AS have been partners for 21 years is an argument that it will continue.
Agreed. It's all about "what can you do for me tomorrow?" I've been a FF with DL since the programs began but I don't think that'll get me anything in the next iteration of devaluations.
Old Feb 7, 2014, 7:14 am

Programs: lots of little things
Originally Posted by HongKonger
On a flight I just took the FAs began discussing this topic so I picked up some intelligence. Apparently DL handles AS baggage in SEA, but will no longer do so as of March 1. Also, among the front-line staff it is apparently common knowledge that RA is "going after" AS and "does not like codeshares."
I'd call that "noise" instead of "intelligence." FA's are usually really out of the loop if they're not talking about in-flight issues. DL does not handle ramp duties for Alaska in Seattle. It has long been Menzies, since the fiasco of Alaska laying off their own ramp. DGS with some cabin cleaning duties could be about as close as it gets.
Old Feb 8, 2014, 12:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Don't forget MH and NW/DL. DL got greedy, that ruined SQ. The AF/KL JV has also gone downhill of you ask me.
Old Feb 9, 2014, 1:26 am

Programs: DL Platinum, Hilton Diamond VIP, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by mnredfox
Don't forget MH and NW/DL. DL got greedy, that ruined SQ. The AF/KL JV has also gone downhill of you ask me.
Meh. I consider it similar to the DL and KE treatment, our way or the highway. Which is rightfully so in DL's case and I'll explain that in a second. AF/KL JV is more so on those guys, but that JV works fine for me since I use SEA-AMS. So what are the issues?

DL is in the position to do what it wants, when it wants with the $$$ it is making every quarter. If you haven't realized that, you've been drinking too much kool-aid. The battles now are to pluck the HVCs from United, AA, and AS. Plus keeping the herd from going to the other side.

I still say AS-DL will never let their agreement end. It is very profitable for both sides regardless of the collusion in markets. People thought SEA-PDX was the final straw, now with JNU it is just a matter of time until DL planes will take advantage of AS's downsizing of Intra-Alaska routes.
Old Feb 9, 2014, 3:00 am

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
The question is why does AS as Horizon Air not throw a few planes into Hawaii and screw with HA? It's a win-win.
Old Feb 9, 2014, 7:13 am

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
People forget that Delta's original international alliance, "Global Excellence", was with Swissair and Singapore Airlines, and that, 25 years ago, the top award that you could redeem your Delta miles for was a trip in F class on Air Canada to either Mumbai or Bangkok.

Then, before Delta and Air France got together, they had an alliance called "Atlantic Excellence" which included Delta, Swissair, Sabena and Austrian. I used to see a Sabena airliner at ATL quite often.
Old Feb 9, 2014, 7:39 am

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
Originally Posted by technole
I still say AS-DL will never let their agreement end. It is very profitable for both sides regardless of the collusion in markets. People thought SEA-PDX was the final straw, now with JNU it is just a matter of time until DL planes will take advantage of AS's downsizing of Intra-Alaska routes.
AS earns more money from its relationship with DL than it does from its relationship with AA. I saw something which I can't find a link to that indicated that AS's annual income from its relationship with DL was around $400 million while its relationship with AA brought in about $250 million in annual revenue (out of something like $4.25 billion in annual revenues).

For me, when I travel to the west, and need to go from California to the northwest, I book an AS flight. I imagine that there are many others like me.

I look at the Seattle and Salt Lake City battles between DL and AS as follows--these are two markets "where the money is". Why wouldn't both airlines go after customers in both places?
Old Feb 9, 2014, 8:46 am

Originally Posted by kettle1
The question is why does AS as Horizon Air not throw a few planes into Hawaii and screw with HA? It's a win-win.
Yes, entering a second (completely unprovoked) war when you're in the process of defending your own turf is a swell strategy.
Old Feb 9, 2014, 9:34 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by ND76
AS earns more money from its relationship with DL than it does from its relationship with AA. I saw something which I can't find a link to that indicated that AS's annual income from its relationship with DL was around $400 million while its relationship with AA brought in about $250 million in annual revenue (out of something like $4.25 billion in annual revenues).

For me, when I travel to the west, and need to go from California to the northwest, I book an AS flight. I imagine that there are many others like me.

I look at the Seattle and Salt Lake City battles between DL and AS as follows--these are two markets "where the money is". Why wouldn't both airlines go after customers in both places?
The relationship with AA could be lower revenue but more profitable. Plus, it has the possibility to grow due to the AA/US merger.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.