Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

What date will AS and DL announce that their partnership will end?

What date will AS and DL announce that their partnership will end?

Old Apr 26, 2014, 11:31 am
Original Poster

Come on Tilden! Show some guts and make my prediction come true!

Anderson: Why continue to bother with AS, all you are doing is sending them revenue! End it. On Thursday, preferably.

Or, as is looking more likely, they will stumble downwards for a few more months until their agreement actually ends, and then call it quits.
Old Apr 26, 2014, 9:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Platinum New Name: KeepClimbingEd
Originally Posted by LarkSFO
Come on Tilden! Show some guts and make my prediction come true!

Anderson: Why continue to bother with AS, all you are doing is sending them revenue! End it. On Thursday, preferably.

Or, as is looking more likely, they will stumble downwards for a few more months until their agreement actually ends, and then call it quits.
How much revenue would AS lose if they ended the partnership? How would AS make up the lost revenue?
Old Apr 26, 2014, 9:57 pm

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
Originally Posted by KeepClimbingDick
How much revenue would AS lose if they ended the partnership? How would AS make up the lost revenue?
That figure is listed up this thread. I know it is millions.

How would AS make up the lost revenue? Perhaps moving more traffic over to AA.

DL knows SEA is a looser for the short term. But DL is looking years ahead. Like they are doing in NYC.

DL tried this in PDX back in the 80's and 90's. That was before the merger with NW. Times have changed.

If DL sticks with this SEA expansion, it will be a win-win for DL. Think outside the box.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 4:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
Re: OP. Well, I think the natural order of things would be for AS to be kind of a lukewarm partner with a number of airlines similar to HA, in that it has a little fiefdom (Alaska) with some minor monopoly routes a bit like the Hawaii interislands (albeit more expensive), so partners get to sell expensive tickets to Nome and AS gets codeshare access to most of the continent.

OTOH, AS has gotten SEA/PDX centric with the Alaska monopoly routes as secondary, and DL is basically trying to muscle into the SEA hub. So that's forcing the issue, though it's unclear how many routes DL plans to add that would go head-to-head with AS routes. DL is likely stepping on future AS growth plans if adding more routes to SEA from the east and midwest.

With inspiration from this thread, I did hurry up and book my September Alaska award trip (Last year's was a bit different: JNU with a stopover in PDX). This year it's a two-fer with both ANC (2 days) and FAI (3 days) at 25K total with all-DL via MSP on both the long outbound and return (i.e. some chance at an upgrade). ANC-FAI is AS, of course. Big foliage time as well.
Old May 22, 2014, 6:20 pm
Original Poster

Double EQM's for AS for all ex-SLC flights: http://www.alaskaair.com/www2/Promo/...%7C&pid=AS1403

Earn Double Elite-Qualifying Miles Between Salt Lake City and:

Boise (BOI)
San Diego (SAN)
Las Vegas (LAS)
San Francisco (SFO)
Los Angeles (LAX)
San Jose (SJC)
Portland (PDX)
Seattle (SEA)

And SEA-DTW:

To earn Double Elite-Qualifying Miles, simply register your Mileage Plan number below by July 15, 2014*, and travel between September 4, 2014, and October 31, 2014.

http://www.alaskaair.com/www2/Promo/...%7C&pid=AS1405
Old May 28, 2014, 11:38 am
Original Poster

USA Today coverage

"Battle for Seattle: Delta, Alaska Air add even more flights"

http://www.usatoday.com/story/todayi...ights/9662717/
Old Aug 17, 2014, 11:07 am
Original Poster

OK, so 5/1/2014 was an inaccurate prediction on my part...

But how much longer will AS put up with this crap from their 'partner', DL?

AS is hitting on all cylinders, with great recent (financial) results. Revenue from DL is dropping, and AS is apparently able to survive without it.

Targeted Delta Promotion For Washington Residents
Old Aug 17, 2014, 1:09 pm
Suspended

Revenue dropping? I thought Delta had a great quarter...
Old Aug 17, 2014, 4:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dieuwer2
Revenue dropping? I thought Delta had a great quarter...
The amount of revenue that AS receives through DL bookings dropped.

Both DL and AS had excellent quarters. Which means perhaps they will both fight harder?
Old Aug 17, 2014, 5:13 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
OK, so 5/1/2014 was an inaccurate prediction on my part...

AS is hitting on all cylinders, with great recent (financial) results. Revenue from DL is dropping, and AS is apparently able to survive without it.
From the AS earnings conference:

"Delta's growth in Seattle impacts us in two ways. The largest is the negative impact on unit revenues from the increased seats in the market that I just talked about. We've seen that for several quarters now and we'll continue to see it for the foreseeable future and as a result, we expect our unit revenue performance will lag the industry. The second is the decline in local and connecting codeshare revenue, which was about $16 million during the quarter. There is good news, however, on this front.
We were able to replace 90% of that lost revenue through our own distribution channels and generating higher codeshare and interline revenues from other airlines, including American and United. Overall, total codeshare and interline revenues were actually up $11 million or 6%."

Partners compete all the time. If AS thinks Doug Parker will be their BFF, they should think again.

David
Old Aug 17, 2014, 5:30 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
AS continues to benefit financially from the partnership.

This isn't a teenage romance where they break up cause he cheated on her and hurt her feelings. It's business. Period.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 4:21 am

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Originally Posted by kjnangre
AS continues to benefit financially from the partnership.

This isn't a teenage romance where they break up cause he cheated on her and hurt her feelings. It's business. Period.
Indeed. And ultimately both compete against UA and the LCCs along the west coast.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 7:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer
Indeed. And ultimately both compete against UA and the LCCs along the west coast.
True. (although I am not quite sure who you are referring to when you say west coast LCC's. VX?)

Which is why I wonder how it benefits them both financially to:

- Attack your partner at their home base (DL)
- Attack your partner at a hub (AS @ SLC)
- Offer promotions to encourage your flyers to not fly your partner (AS)
- Offer multiple lucrative promotions to encourage flyers in your partners FF plan to join yours (DL)
- Greatly increase capacity, which has to deflate prices, on new routes your partner is flying (AS)
- etc.
- etc.
- etc.
Old May 20, 2015, 10:19 am
Original Poster

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...it-rows-2.html

The drumbeat is getting louder...

(I was a little off with my 5/1/14 prediction! @:-))

At this point, I guess I would agree with those who say 'the minute the current contract ends'.
Old May 20, 2015, 10:25 am

It Is Dead

Your guess: The date that is is announced that DL and AS will no longer partner.

The partnership itself may take a few months longer to wind down.

My guess: May 1, 2014

http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...-airlines.html

http://www.alaskaair.com/content/mil...ers/delta.aspx
Well, it will definitely end soon, given the Waco biker-type fights at SEA. I have never flown Alaska, but they apparently have good cabin service.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.