Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Broken Record: Boarding Zones - Delta Policy Not to Enforce

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Broken Record: Boarding Zones - Delta Policy Not to Enforce

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2013, 6:52 pm

Programs: DL Pork Medallion, PP, GE
Originally Posted by sethb
I think Sky and Zone 1 should not use the Sky Priority lane; because they do, when Zone 1 is boarding and an F pax shows up, there's no priority access. By limiting the "bypass lane" to F (who go first anyway), or anyone from an earlier priority group than the one currently boarding, proper priority would be maintained.

This could also help keep the gate lice away from that lane.
To be frank, I don't even remember the last time I boarded a plane that had both lanes, or that were used properly. IME, the GA has everyone line up in the side that lines up best with the scanner. If the sign points left for SP and right for general boarding, and the SP carpet is on the left side, and the scanner is closer to the left side, the whole plane boards through the left side, and vice versa (I don't know if I explained that well, but I hope you all get what I'm trying to say). So the one or two times I've been in F or SP and wasn't able to get to the gate before my zone was announced, I have to just blend in rather than using the separate lane. I remember one time where they had F board on the side that didn't have the SP sign/rug. I didn't care, but I did feel a little less elite as I went through the right lane instead of the SP lane. Jk.

I still think F should board first, because by the time the whole plane has boarded (especially a 100% full flight and/or a 757/767), there are a ton of people in the jetway and in the aisle of the plane. Sure, F has its own bin space. But if the jetway and the aisle on the plane are jammed up like traffic on a Friday afternoon, it's frustrating. Especially by the time the FAs put all their bags in the F bins. And there's always that person in F that has tons of bags and takes up a ton of space, or the person back in Y who shuffles down the aisle (since it moves so slowly), sees an open spot over the last row of F, and then hoists & shoves in one quick motion as they cross the F to Y threshold. I see it all the time, like it's something they practice. I don't see why that's not policed. Although, if the whole of F are seated and Y is totally out of space, and there is still space in F, I don't have a problem.
Old Dec 15, 2013, 8:04 pm

Programs: Delta, American
This from from ATL-LAX (DL 2355) FA placed coach passengers carry-on in F class. Then F class passenger arrived and was told they'd have to check their bag.
Today from LAX-ATL F class boarding was announced along with Sky Priority, one big CF at the boarding area.
Old Dec 15, 2013, 9:01 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by MS02113
I've noticed that the overhead GID screens already display the currently-boarding zone in a bright green box at some Delta stations. It doesn't seem to help.
Alaska Airlines does that in SEA (and other big airports, I think), and I think it works pretty well. However, in Alaska's case, it's a dedicated monitor right over the boarding door. That is much harder to miss than a box within the very busy Delta GID screens, which are typically off to the side of the boarding door.

The Alaska display lists all boarding zones from the beginning, so you can see when your zone will board -- it just changes the highlighting to (clearly) indicate which zones are boarding/have boarded. For Delta, they'd need five fields and should use the same code ("PREM", "SKY", "ZONE 1", "ZONE 2", and "ZONE 3") as on the boarding pass.
Old Dec 15, 2013, 11:52 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
No lining up by zone even if I'm always in PREM or SKY. I pay to fly DL not Southwest.
I know we've disagreed about this before...but I don't see your point. Southwest has an orderly and calm process, while DL looks like a mob.

DL needs to give people a place to go, and a place to stand when they want to arrive early to be sure that they get bin space. People are absolutely going to do this, so better to create an organized way to handle the reality, and to allow F and SKY to board easily.

I see 4 lines, separated by rope, that you can get in and wait in as early as you want to: F, SKY, Zone 1, Zones 2 through whatever they have.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 5:37 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
I see 4 lines, separated by rope, that you can get in and wait in as early as you want to: F, SKY, Zone 1, Zones 2 through whatever they have.
Agreed, but the ropes need to be long. Part of the problem now is the rope is short, so you have to work your way through the people who are standing where the rope starts.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 6:51 am

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by CJKatl
Agreed, but the ropes need to be long. Part of the problem now is the rope is short, so you have to work your way through the people who are standing where the rope starts.
This...

@ the gates in MCO where the ropes are long, the boarding is smoother. Too often the ropes are short snd people try to crowd in tight by the scanner.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 11:40 am

Programs: DL Diamond, HHonors Diamond, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by brocklee9000
To be frank, I don't even remember the last time I boarded a plane that had both lanes, or that were used properly. IME, the GA has everyone line up in the side that lines up best with the scanner. If the sign points left for SP and right for general boarding, and the SP carpet is on the left side, and the scanner is closer to the left side, the whole plane boards through the left side, and vice versa (I don't know if I explained that well, but I hope you all get what I'm trying to say).
I don't think I've ever seen a gate agent conduct general boarding through the Sky Priority lane. I often arrive late from the Sky Club, and by that point general boarding has progressed to zone 2 or 3, and the Sky Priority lane is clear. (Of course, the jet bridge is packed, which is the one disadvantage to arriving late.)
Old Dec 16, 2013, 1:13 pm

Programs: PA FT, TW Gold, NW/CO PE, VK Eagleflyer
Originally Posted by Tom Williams
As long as Delta continues to sell "Zone 1" which is in reality Zone 4 (after pre boards, PREM and Sky) boarding will be a mess.

I view this practice as an unethical scam. They should be ashamed of it.
Bingo.

This is DL marketing at its finest - slice that Ham Sandwich razor thin.

How renaming the boarding sequence as: "Firsty-First" "Second First" and then "First?" Make everyone feel special and then tie it in with an AX card.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 1:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Why not 1, 1.1, 1.11, 1.111, etc.? However, I like firsty-first too.
Old Dec 17, 2013, 7:44 am
Suspended

Programs: DL DIA, HHonors DIA, Marriott PlA
PLEASE---Enforce the boarding zones-rules!!!

Delta---I implore you to enforce the boarding rules. As a DIA and usually sitting up front 95% of the time, I'm tired of fighting my way past the gate lice to board. I'm tired of other DIA-PLA-GLD-SLV boarding when first is called instead of SKY. If the GA's would just send the folks away, and delta was consistant, this would stop.

PLEASE ENFORCE THE BOARDING ZONES!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by RSSrsvp; Dec 17, 2013 at 9:01 am Reason: Merged into existing thread on the same subject
Old Dec 17, 2013, 8:00 am

Programs: DL Platinum; DL Platinum Card
Not only should they enforce the boarding rules, but also they should rename the zones. People who have Zone 1 believe they are 1st to board. It's confusing for non-FF. Technically, they are Zone 3.
Old Dec 17, 2013, 8:05 am

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
I have seen plenty of elites that know the rules and do not care.
Old Dec 17, 2013, 8:12 am

Programs: DL FO, HH Ag
Originally Posted by Xeno
I have seen plenty of elites that know the rules and do not care.
I just put on my DYKWIA tin foil hat and shoulder my way through the crowd. If anyone questions me, I show them my Ham Sammich.

-JimG
Old Dec 17, 2013, 8:13 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by Funkels
Not only should they enforce the boarding rules, but also they should rename the zones. People who have Zone 1 believe they are 1st to board. It's confusing for non-FF. Technically, they are Zone 3.
They can't do this because then they wouldn't be able to advertise "Zone 1 priority boarding" as an Amex benefit. "Zone 3 after over half the plane has already boarded" doesn't have the same ring to it.
Old Dec 17, 2013, 8:33 am

Programs: Delta, United
Originally Posted by flyingweekly
Delta---I implore you to enforce the boarding rules. As a DIA and usually sitting up front 95% of the time, I'm tired of fighting my way past the gate lice to board. I'm tired of other DIA-PLA-GLD-SLV boarding when first is called instead of SKY. If the GA's would just send the folks away, and delta was consistant, this would stop.

PLEASE ENFORCE THE BOARDING ZONES!!!!!!!!!
Did you say anything to GA ? Saying it here does very little.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.