Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Broken Record: Boarding Zones - Delta Policy Not to Enforce

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Broken Record: Boarding Zones - Delta Policy Not to Enforce

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2013, 7:56 pm

Programs: DL Pork Medallion, PP, GE
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I've seen GAs try to bribe people to gate check carryon bags before boarding starts by offering drink/snack coupons. It's even better than being able to check the bag for free if you bring it to the gate. However until late and damaged bag percentages are believed to be significantly improved, some passengers will understandably continue to avoid checking bags, either during check in or at the gate.
Agreed. I forgot to add the infrequent traveler who just happened to have something happen to a bag the 1 time they've flown in the past five or ten years. In over two decades of travel, I've never had a bag lost or sent to the wrong destination. The worst I've had was a busted wheel on my travelpro suitcase, but to be fair, it was 3.5 years old, has been all over the world with me (and has as many miles as I do), I lived out of it for a few years in western Africa, so it was only a matter of time before a wheel broke (or the handle came off or a zipper pull breaks). I would be willing to bet that a majority of the population that are afraid that airplanes are unsafe also comprise the majority of the population that believe their bag(s) will be lost/stolen/damaged.
Old Dec 13, 2013, 8:52 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles DM, CX GO, Hilton Honors Diamond
FWIW, I have noticed improved boarding overseas. Especially at MNL, now they give you a big red BE card in the Skyclub which is collected when you board. They have moved the departure gate over to gate 14 now allowing for more room where one can actually sit while waiting to board. Super smooth the last 2 departures in November and December.

Also NRT, really seems to be enforcing boarding zones amd turning people away by being proactive with GA's organizing the boarding zones with signs.
In the US however, it's a Zoo, been through ATL, MSP, DTW, LAS, PIT, and MIA, pretty much all the same, fight your way through the gate lice to board with your PREM zone.

Speaking of PIT, what up with some of the boarding areas? Badly stained carpet, seats with huge splits in them where no one will sit? Ceiling tiles stained.
Old Dec 13, 2013, 10:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I'm often afraid on very full flights that if I board late there could be a duplicate seat assignment and the GA will give it to the early occupant. It's also harder to deal with seat poachers if you board very late.
I have no problem with seat poachers. I stand in the aisle, visibly re-check my boarding pass against the row and seat, and then say "Excuse me, I believe you're in my seat. Please check your boarding pass."

The response is (in my experience) always "Oops, sorry." If it's a minor believable error (e.g. +-1 row, opposite aisle seat) for the same quality seat, I don't mind switching. Otherwise, not a chance, and the FA should enforce it as necessary.
Old Dec 13, 2013, 10:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by kitkat77
I've also seen a non-upgraded SP person park themselves next to the SP sign and remain there, blocking it, while FC boarded and tripped over him and his carry on(s). I took it to be passive-aggressive irritation that he wasn't upgraded.
If I tripped over him, something would break. And it wouldn't be me.
Old Dec 14, 2013, 3:08 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Last Tuesday, ATL-MSP, 50+ on the UG list, PREM is called. There was a woman clutching her AmEx with her BP who couldn't believe all these people were boarding before her.

I waited patiently in line while people in front of me had their boarding passes scanned. When I was about fourth in line, THE GA CALLED FOR ZONE 1 AND THE MASSES STARTED CUTTING IN LINE! I expressed dismay calmly but clearly. Having waited patiently in line, she could have at least waited until all of PREM was done boarding. It wasn't as though we weren't stuck in a long line in the Jetway. No time would have been lost boarding the plane if she had just finished the Zone before calling the next. At least five people had shoved between me and the guy who had been behind me for the past seven minutes. I expressed to the GA how rude this was and she apologized, saying she expects that people will not act that way. There was an old guy behind my trying to impress a younger woman. They were standing at the side during PREM boarding and wormed their way into the line when Zone 1 was called. The GA made him wait while she finished checking in PREM, but only because I pointed it out to her, she saw DM on my BP and I promised her I would let DL know what a mess she made of the boarding process. It wasn't just him, though. There must have been 30 people doing the same thing. She said something like, "Zone 1, please be patient and allow PREM to finish boarding. Will all PREM please step forward. If you are PREM, please step forward."

It was a custer-fluck, totally because the GA handled it so poorly.
Old Dec 14, 2013, 3:53 am

Programs: Delta DM, 3M; AA, FB, UA some lower status
As long as Delta continues to sell "Zone 1" which is in reality Zone 4 (after pre boards, PREM and Sky) boarding will be a mess.

I view this practice as an unethical scam. They should be ashamed of it.
Old Dec 14, 2013, 4:35 am

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Another fun one is the GA @ the next gate boarding a flight with just announcements like ZONE 1, no flight, no destination. People just hear a zone and rush the door, even if boarding for their flight has not even started....
Old Dec 14, 2013, 4:47 am

Programs: DL FO, HH Ag
I'm going to take a different tack on this - I don't think it's Delta's fault that people can't read and follow directions.

At the beginning of the boarding process, they invariably announce "We board by Zones. To find your Zone, Look on your BP. Please board when your Zone is called". Those are simple, explicit instructions, that if followed, would result in a relatively smooth boarding process. The problem comes when pax try to interpret the information.

It doesn't matter how the Zones are labeled, only that the pax identify theirs and board when called. DL could call the zones John, Paul, George, Ringo, and Pete, and it wouldn't matter - just look at your BP and board when you are called. I have had a Skymiles Amex (and been Zone 1) for years and have never been confused about this.

However, I do agree that the real culprit here is the carry-on luggage issue. Fix that, and all the other problems go away.

-JimG
Old Dec 14, 2013, 4:56 am

Programs: Delta DM, SP Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by MS02113
Quote:Originally Posted by mbwmbw

I propose they put in automated boarding lanes w/ actual gates (much like you see on many metro systems), and if your BP doesn't meet that zone then you are rejected. The social backlash from holding up the line and being an idiot might be enough to fix the boarding zone process.

A similar system controls access to the priority security queue at BRU, but I imagine automated turnstiles would be prohibitively expensive to install at every Delta gate.

That said, whatever became of the self-boarding system that Delta was testing at BOS gate A2 (among other locations)?
The one at the ATL T gate last year delayed boarding significantly in my experience. I liked it, but infrequent travelers took forever to get through it.

I loved the GA in ATL earlier this year who had an excellent solution to the issue. Before boarding started on this flight to LAX, he announced the different zones and when they boarded. He then announced that anyone who tried to board BEFORE their zone was called would not be allowed to board until after ALL other zones has boarded. Smoothest boarding of a 767 I've seen in years....
Old Dec 14, 2013, 5:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K, AA EXP, US G, SPG P, HH D, MR G, NEXUS/GE, DL AMEX Reserve
Originally Posted by Crazyhotelguy
Another fun one is the GA @ the next gate boarding a flight with just announcements like ZONE 1, no flight, no destination. People just hear a zone and rush the door, even if boarding for their flight has not even started....
More common than you think. People don't connect that there should be someone talking on the microphone at *their* gate for the announcement to make sense.

Originally Posted by JimGinATL
I'm going to take a different tack on this - I don't think it's Delta's fault that people can't read and follow directions.

At the beginning of the boarding process, they invariably announce "We board by Zones. To find your Zone, Look on your BP. Please board when your Zone is called". Those are simple, explicit instructions, that if followed, would result in a relatively smooth boarding process. The problem comes when pax try to interpret the information.

It doesn't matter how the Zones are labeled, only that the pax identify theirs and board when called. DL could call the zones John, Paul, George, Ringo, and Pete, and it wouldn't matter - just look at your BP and board when you are called. I have had a Skymiles Amex (and been Zone 1) for years and have never been confused about this.

However, I do agree that the real culprit here is the carry-on luggage issue. Fix that, and all the other problems go away.

-JimG
I think the bigger issue is everyone thinks the rules do not apply to them. We need to penalize the Kettle who abuse the perks.

Originally Posted by Leezell
The one at the ATL T gate last year delayed boarding significantly in my experience. I liked it, but infrequent travelers took forever to get through it.

I loved the GA in ATL earlier this year who had an excellent solution to the issue. Before boarding started on this flight to LAX, he announced the different zones and when they boarded. He then announced that anyone who tried to board BEFORE their zone was called would not be allowed to board until after ALL other zones has boarded. Smoothest boarding of a 767 I've seen in years....
Wow. #Win. This is epic and would certainly fix the problem. I wish more GAs would do this.
Old Dec 14, 2013, 6:06 am

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by mbwmbw
More common than you think. People don't connect that there should be someone talking on the microphone at *their* gate for the announcement to make sense.

I think the bigger issue is everyone thinks the rules do not apply to them. We need to penalize the Kettle who abuse the perks.

Wow. #Win. This is epic and would certainly fix the problem. I wish more GAs would do this.
I think the last point here is the real one...most people know how to read and figure out what their zone is...but they try to sneak ahead and board sooner so they can definitely have space for their huge carry on. If they knew the GA would punish them for boarding ahead of turn and the punishment was waiting till the absolute end, I'd bet you'd see this issue alleviate somewhat...

That said, i think the baggage policy is really what prompts everyone to want to board sooner -- people try to save money and cram everything into a carry on. I don't know why anyone would want to rush to be cramped on a plane sooner otherwise. I feel like the problem isn't quite as bad on the regional jets where you have to gate jet as frequent travelers on those planes know space isn't as much of an issue.
Old Dec 14, 2013, 7:02 am

Programs: DL GM/MM
Originally Posted by zimme333
Why not have just Zones 1-5 which would be much easier for everyone involved.
Originally Posted by motytrah
Because the slogan "Board in the 3rd wave of passengers" doesn't move Amex cards.
+1, +1
So the zones are named A, B, 1, 2, 3.
Police carryons and zone jumping.
Problem solved.
Next!
Old Dec 14, 2013, 7:19 am

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by Pharaoh
+1, +1
So the zones are named A, B, 1, 2, 3.
Police carryons and zone jumping.
Problem solved.
Next!
Well in in some interpretations, numbers would come before letters..
Old Dec 14, 2013, 8:05 am

Programs: DL FO, HH Ag
Originally Posted by Crazyhotelguy
Well in in some interpretations, numbers would come before letters..
Do you suppose the airlines are still relying on computers that require the use of EBCDIC? That would explain a lot, actually.

-JimG
Old Dec 14, 2013, 9:13 am

Easy solution to all of this. Put locks on F cabin OHBs. Keep them locked until F is boarding. Board F last. Aside from OHB space there is no reason to want to board early. Its not like a potential PDB is worth sitting being bumped into by Y pax for 20 minutes anyhow.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.