Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Broken Record: Boarding Zones - Delta Policy Not to Enforce

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Broken Record: Boarding Zones - Delta Policy Not to Enforce

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2014, 11:04 pm

Programs: DL Pork Medallion, PP, GE
This past weekend (Saturday and Sunday after New Years) have always been my least favorite to travel. Today was probably the worst boarding I've ever experienced. All over the place, it was nearly a free-for-all. At MSY this morning, I was at the gate when preboarding was announced, blending in with the lice. FC was called and a huge blob moved to the tiny boarding area (way more than the 16 F passengers on the MD-88). I merged in, and eventually SP was called. Then zone 1 was called before I had even made it to the podium.

It was worse in ATL. As if boarding a 763 to SLC on a Sunday evening after new years wasn't bad enough...I rushed through the airport to make my connection and made it to the gate just as SP was called (which was about half the plane; the UG list was 40-something long). The line fanned out like the Nile Delta and I tried to wriggle in. I was about 30 people away from the podium when the GA announced Zone 1. Instead of going to the back of the line, they just swarmed the blob of us SP passengers and were cutting the line. The best analogy I can think of is a puddle of liquid mercury with little balls of mercury all around it, as they swarm and congregate and assimilate into one giant blob.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 4:22 am

Programs: DL FO, AA
Originally Posted by mbwmbw
More common than you think. People don't connect that there should be someone talking on the microphone at *their* gate for the announcement to make sense.
In some crowded boarding areas it is hard to see the person making the announcement. Also, there are areas like the end of the C gates at DTW where there are some 10 flights potentially boarding concurrently in a space with horrible acoustics. It seems reasonable to me for a GA to provide a clear indication of what is going on.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 6:55 am

Programs: PA FT, TW Gold, NW/CO PE, VK Eagleflyer
Originally Posted by brocklee9000

It was worse in ATL. As if boarding a 763 to SLC on a Sunday evening after new years wasn't bad enough...I rushed through the airport to make my connection and made it to the gate just as SP was called (which was about half the plane; the UG list was 40-something long). The line fanned out like the Nile Delta and I tried to wriggle in. I was about 30 people away from the podium when the GA announced Zone 1. Instead of going to the back of the line, they just swarmed the blob of us SP passengers and were cutting the line. The best analogy I can think of is a puddle of liquid mercury with little balls of mercury all around it, as they swarm and congregate and assimilate into one giant blob.

"Can your card give you priority boarding? my card can..."

Too bad those w@nkers in marketing (here's looking at you, Slippery Jeff) aren't concerned about the real world.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 7:36 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by brocklee9000
I was about 30 people away from the podium when the GA announced Zone 1. Instead of going to the back of the line, they just swarmed the blob of us SP passengers and were cutting the line. The best analogy I can think of is a puddle of liquid mercury with little balls of mercury all around it, as they swarm and congregate and assimilate into one giant blob.
This is a pet peeve...

The GAs should wait until nobody is boarding, then announce the next group. It would be much more orderly and given we are going into the Jetway line anyway, it's not going to add any time to the boarding process. When a GA does this, I ask to see their badge, write down their name and either include the information with my survey or drop a note to DL letting them know this employee made things worse. Unless DL knows, they don't know to gently correct the GA.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 7:56 am

Programs: PA FT, TW Gold, NW/CO PE, VK Eagleflyer
Originally Posted by CJKatl
This is a pet peeve...

The GAs should wait until nobody is boarding, then announce the next group. It would be much more orderly and given we are going into the Jetway line anyway, it's not going to add any time to the boarding process. When a GA does this, I ask to see their badge, write down their name and either include the information with my survey or drop a note to DL letting them know this employee made things worse. Unless DL knows, they don't know to gently correct the GA.
Well, GAs are on the horns of a dilemma. Does DL's mgt pressure them more for on-time departures, or enforcing the 6 or 7 boarding zones?

I would imagine that doing both is often nigh impossible.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Boarding isn't any faster if Zone 1 pax get into the jetway before SP pax. As long as there's always some line in the jetway, there's no wasted entry time.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 9:21 am

Programs: DL Pork Medallion, PP, GE
Exactly. Because even though I finally made my way through, as soon as I scanned my phone and walked into the jetway, it was just as packed as the line behind me. At least it was a 763 so there were two aisles, and the FA was proactive enough to ask people their seat and directed them to the appropriate aisle, but still. 250 standing in the gate area need to get on a plane, and the easiest way is in an organized manner. Maybe it's just me, but it seems like if you're scanning BP after BP that all have the SP banner, it's a safe bet all of SP hasn't boarded and you shouldn't call zone 1. Yes, they have pressure to get a plane out on time, but I checked and the app said we pushed back 2 minutes ahead of schedule. Good job getting 250+ people on a plane and out on time, but that should be business as usual for an airport like ATL. Again, organized lines. The same principle applies to any large crowd: don't yell "fire" in a crowded room. Tragedy after tragedy show that people tend to freak out, abandon common sense, and panic. Then they stampede, trample others, and can't get out of a building because too many people are trying to get out of a small set of doors and it gets jammed. If the boarding line was orderly, everyone would get through much quicker and it would be less stressful. It can be observed at smaller airports as well, such as when they call F and SP at the same time, SP and zone 1, SP including all medallions, the combinations are endless.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.