FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Is a 38 min connection at DTW crazy for an 83 year old? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1529772-38-min-connection-dtw-crazy-83-year-old.html)

david55 Dec 10, 2013 5:39 pm

Is a 38 min connection at DTW crazy for an 83 year old?

Putting an itinerary together for a friend from SEA-SYR next March. There is a good flight on Delta w/ a connection in Detroit. It is a Delta flight from SEA to DTW then connects to ENDEAVOR AIR DBA DELTA CONNECTION from DTW to SYR.

He is able bodied but not in the mood for sprint between gates.

Big Mistake?

javabytes Dec 10, 2013 5:41 pm

Probably a bit tight, but not crazy. Connecting from mainline to Delta Connection is going to involve the walk through the underground tunnel connecting the A gates and the B/C gates. It's doable in 38 minutes, and won't require a sprint (barring any delays), but will require a purposeful walking pace. If he's not in the mood for that, you're better off leaving him some more time.

indufan Dec 10, 2013 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by javabytes (Post 21942703)
Probably a bit tight, but not crazy. Connecting from mainline to Delta Connection is going to involve the walk through the underground tunnel connecting the A gates and the B/C gates. It's doable in 38 minutes, and won't require a sprint (barring any delays), but will require a purposeful walking pace. If he's not in the mood for that, you're better off leaving him some more time.

Agree 100%.

xliioper Dec 10, 2013 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by javabytes (Post 21942703)

Note that the larger Delta Connection aircraft will many times depart from Concourse A. However, since DTW-SYR is all 50 seaters, it will definitely depart from Concourse B/C.

UnderEst Dec 10, 2013 6:30 pm

It'll be tight as others mentioned, but it's easily doable. DTW is easy to navigate and going through the tunnel on the walkway is pretty quick.

drjazz Dec 10, 2013 7:08 pm

Just pre-order a wheelchair!

Originally Posted by david4455 (Post 21942688)
Putting an itinerary together for a friend from SEA-SYR next March. There is a good flight on Delta w/ a connection in Detroit. It is a Delta flight from SEA to DTW then connects to ENDEAVOR AIR DBA DELTA CONNECTION from DTW to SYR.

Big Mistake?

travisair Dec 10, 2013 7:09 pm

With an 83 year old, I'd want more time. If it was two young, healthy people then go for it. But if you have another flight as an option with a couple hour layover, why not just take that and not have to stress about it? Heck, I'd be at least a little concerned and I'm 31 and fly every week.

BobH Dec 10, 2013 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by david4455 (Post 21942688)

Big Mistake?

DTW has a tram and several moving sidewalks --- it typically takes no more that about 10 to 15 minutes to get from any gate to any other gate .... and none of us like running between gates.

Also, if you're booking a flight that far out you should be aware that the schedule can and will change and you'll probably get a much better fare if you wait a few weeks to book it (e.g. Mid to Late Jan).

To me booking it now *would* be a mistake.

Bob H

Often1 Dec 10, 2013 7:22 pm

Age is not the issue. It's physical stamina and ability to handle one-self in IRROPS. The question is not the 38 mins., it's what is Plan B?

If he misconnects, what is the wait and can he handle what then becomes a much longer trip? If he is stuck overnight, can he handle a hotel?

These are the same questions for a 50-YOA.

jrl767 Dec 10, 2013 7:28 pm

38 min between the A gates and the B/C gates at DTW can be a challenge for a 38-year-old

as others have said, probably doable ... but be sure to have a Plan B, and watch for schedule changes

Rocco7799 Dec 10, 2013 9:25 pm

I've found that flights coming from the west coast often arrive early thanks to the prevailing winds. If it gets out of SEA on time, he may have more than 38 minutes.

I agree with the others that it's doable, but tight, for someone of that age.

MSPeconomist Dec 10, 2013 9:32 pm

To connect from A to the B/C RJ gates in 38 minutes would require not only fast walking but also knowing exactly where to go with absolutely no hesitation. It also requires being seated near the front of the incoming aircraft, likely to be a 757, and able to gather belongings and deplane quickly. Someone familiar with the airport who travels often can do it, but IMO it's all to much to expect from someone that old. I'd also be concerned about how he would react and handle the situation if the connection is missed.

houserulz77 Dec 10, 2013 9:41 pm

Are you booking a red eye?

If not, keep in mind that the connection will likely be the final flight of the evening.

IMO, booking a sub-hour connection anywhere is asking for trouble, especially if the pax doesn't have status and is therefore less likely to have an easy option for a mis-connect.

flyerslc Dec 10, 2013 9:48 pm

We'll just have to disagree on this one. This would be extremely poor judgment that possibly subjects an elderly friend to stress and inconvenience.

davetravels Dec 10, 2013 9:51 pm

. . . . . not to mention if he needs to make a comfort or snack stop between gates. I agree that this is asking for trouble.

That said, I've made 36 minute connections in ATL including changing concourses, but, of course, I know exactly where I'm going, etc. . . . .