Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Best way to appreciate how well Delta actually performs is to fly other airlines

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best way to appreciate how well Delta actually performs is to fly other airlines

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2013, 8:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, AA GE, CP ED

I've had to fly two different carriers in the last month due to schedule and I must say that these experiences underscore how good we generally have it over here at Delta.

My observations:

1. Delta customer service is available 24x7 via multiple media (phone and twitter) AND is actually helpful. One of the carriers I was on recently had limited hours in different geographies

2. Delta communicates updates to flight delays via phone, email, and text based on your profile. Another carrier made no updates - none, despite having entered contact info

3. A gate check on a regional flight is also a gate retrieval. I was very surprised to have to collect my gate checked bag at baggage claim recently.

4. GIDS and/or mobile app listing standby list. No guessing how you stand at the gate.

None of this is status specific and granted this is by no means a comprehensive list.

Just thought I'd share. So happy to be back on Delta this coming week
Old Dec 7, 2013, 8:38 am

Programs: Active: AA, UA, DL
Agree. Delta is very good when it comes to the actual travel experience. But their SkyMiles program and its web site suck.

Will I continue to fly them? Yes. Will I try to rake up as many SkyMiles through their partners for future award travel with them? No.

Note that most of my mileage earning for any program comes through non-airline partners, not through actual flying. Hence, I have no loyalty to any airline.
Old Dec 7, 2013, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
Even the bloggers agree that in general DL has the best product/people in the skies (amongst US cariers). It's the FF program that lags.

It comes down to what's important to you. Easier to get free stuff tomorrow or a quality experience today.
Old Dec 7, 2013, 10:30 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
In a certain way it makes sense that the best product would have the least generous frequent flyer program. You need more gimmicks if your product is lousy. In the end, the product itself should be the primary way to attract and retain loyalty, right?
Old Dec 7, 2013, 10:32 am

Programs: Delta FO
Which airlines did you fly?

Doesn't sound like you are describing a US legacy airline.
Old Dec 7, 2013, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by jsbh
I've had to fly two different carriers in the last month due to schedule and I must say that these experiences underscore how good we generally have it over here at Delta.
My observations:
1. Delta customer service is available 24x7 via multiple media (phone and twitter) AND is actually helpful. One of the carriers I was on recently had limited hours in different geographies
2. Delta communicates updates to flight delays via phone, email, and text based on your profile. Another carrier made no updates - none, despite having entered contact info
3. A gate check on a regional flight is also a gate retrieval. I was very surprised to have to collect my gate checked bag at baggage claim recently.
4. GIDS and/or mobile app listing standby list. No guessing how you stand at the gate.
None of this is status specific and granted this is by no means a comprehensive list.
Just thought I'd share. So happy to be back on Delta this coming week
I totally agree. Have flown 5 other airlines in the last 6 months. I always come back to DL.
Old Dec 7, 2013, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Doesn't seem you're comparing DL to some of the airlines I've flown. I've flown DL internationally this year in Biz, and they don't come close to any of the airlines I've flown. CX, SQ, NH and CI were all at least a notch better than DL.

If you're talking just domestic flights, or only US airlines, then I'd say that DL does have a pretty good product for a US airline.
Old Dec 7, 2013, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
Doesn't seem you're comparing DL to some of the airlines I've flown. I've flown DL internationally this year in Biz, and they don't come close to any of the airlines I've flown. CX, SQ, NH and CI were all at least a notch better than DL.

If you're talking just domestic flights, or only US airlines, then I'd say that DL does have a pretty good product for a US airline.
I'd assumed he was talking about US based airlines.
Old Dec 7, 2013, 12:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by reed2x
Which airlines did you fly?

Doesn't sound like you are describing a US legacy airline.
BA intl in J and USAir domestic in coach.

I'm not saying DL is perfect or that other flight/crew/airlines cannot exceed expectations. Rather, just affirming DL really has a good overall product that keeps me coming back. Traveling on the other carriers reinforced the very best DL offers IMHO.
Old Dec 7, 2013, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tkey75
I'd assumed he was talking about US based airlines.
The OP should say that, then.

I'll give you a sample thread title,
"As US airlines go, Delta is the least sucky in their hard product".
Old Dec 7, 2013, 12:28 pm
Original Poster

I'll give you a sample thread title,
"As US airlines go, Delta is the least sucky in their hard product".
Wow. That is a far cry from my sentiments.
Old Dec 7, 2013, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wow. That is a far cry from my sentiments.
So you think DL is not the least sucky of US airlines?

Can you give some examples of what domestic and international airlines you've flown recently? Coach, business, first?
Old Dec 7, 2013, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And it turns out I'm wrong. No big deal.

BA intl in J and USAir domestic in coach.
Not sure why you're giving the OP such a hard time for voicing an opinion.
Old Dec 7, 2013, 1:09 pm

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
Originally Posted by tkey75
Not sure why you're giving the OP such a hard time for voicing an opinion.
If it's Jaimito Cartero you are referring to; this poster has much angst with regard to Delta. I have a (personal) feeling that SkyMiles devaluations are the cause of this. My personal suggestion would be just to "steer-clear" of flying Delta if the frequent flyer program (SkyMiles) is your #1 priority.

and, yes, as was mentioned above, when you are the "best" of the US carriers; you have little (or less) incentive to give stuff away for free.

With that being said, I just booked an international J ticket for 100K miles (in January) using SkyMiles. I use SkyMiles when possible for family and friends; it's far from perfect, but also not impossible.

Not really certain why people who have so much hate for Delta "hang around" this forum; seems it would be more productive to spend time examining (and commenting on) the programs of airlines you regularly fly.
Old Dec 7, 2013, 1:44 pm

Programs: AADULtArer
In a market where "having to ask for a full can when you previously were given it without asking" is described as a "major issue" as you "fly through the air like a bird"

Flying both DL and UA moderately heavy domestic my sense is that DL soft product is better and UA MP program better. Neither advantage is enough to make me choose a less-convenient route over the other.

That's a sparse data opinion, and, like all opinions, it's like a hemmorhoid.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.