Wiki Posts
Search

Business award with coach segments

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2013, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Business award with coach segments

I have SM award booked on partner airline in business with inta-europe segments in coach.
If space in O on those segments opens up is it possible to change it to business? If so, any fees involved for non-status?

(I've done it with UA and AA awards but with this being DL my expectations are very low )
Old Dec 9, 2013, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
Yep. Gonna pay a $150 change fee. Also, no changes or cancellations within 72hrs of first segment.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by tkey75
Yep. Gonna pay a $150 change fee. Also, no changes or cancellations within 72hrs of first segment.
I believe the 72 hour rule applies on a segment-by-segment basis. Though that might be a YMMV situation.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 5:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I would hope that the 72 hour rule wouldn't be applied if O space opens on AF/KLM/AZ on the same flights in which an elite had been forced to accept coach award space.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 6:05 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Plat, Hertz PC
The real question is why you want to fly business intra-Europe. IME, it's not worth the extra miles (On AZ it was just a roomy coach seat w/ a cold meal). But if you were non-status and wanted the SP and extra baggage benefits, I suppose it might be worth it.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by pleasantsn
The real question is why you want to fly business intra-Europe. IME, it's not worth the extra miles (On AZ it was just a roomy coach seat w/ a cold meal). But if you were non-status and wanted the SP and extra baggage benefits, I suppose it might be worth it.
I read the OP as saying that there are transatlantic segments in business, but where they were forced to accept intra-Europe in coach.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 6:38 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by pleasantsn
NO, it's more a case of getting what you've paid for. If you have a TATL BE ticket, the additional intraEU segments are free, including in business class if you can find inventory on AF/KLM/AZ. Even thought it's the same seat, the empty middle seat does enable you to stretch out with more space. Also, there's usually a decent hot meal served in business class on these flights.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 6:59 pm

Programs: DL DM 4.7 MM MQM Marriott Ambassador Lifetime Titanium AA CK
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
NO, it's more a case of getting what you've paid for.
I totally agree and well worth the $150 in my opinion if the OP is not PM/DM
Old Dec 9, 2013, 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by hnewman
Plus if the OP isn't GM+, being confirmed in business class gives lounge access, SkyPriority lines, etc.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 11:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Its myself and two kids so 3x150 is too much. There were 2 O intraeurope seats but I couldn't split with kids...
Old Dec 9, 2013, 11:58 pm
Used to be 'flymanbeast'

Programs: Delta silver/marriot platinum
Ive had an agent not charge me the change fee (before i was plat) once, however this was on the Israeli delta line.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 5:43 am

Programs: AA Plat 2MM/UA G MM/DL MM DM 2015/BA Silver/Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Plus if the OP isn't GM+, being confirmed in business class gives lounge access, SkyPriority lines, etc.
Once they hit the ground in the EU, getting into the KL lounge in AMS is not going to be easy absent a business class ongoing ticket or Elite Plus status.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 6:48 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Bicostal
Once they hit the ground in the EU, getting into the KL lounge in AMS is not going to be easy absent a business class ongoing ticket or Elite Plus status.
Not an issue to access the loung when arriving with a Business ticket and continuing on a coach ticket (in my experience).
Old Dec 10, 2013, 6:57 am

Programs: DL GM/MM
I change Y to J on the connecting portion of an international J award last month and there was no change fee. (I'm FO.)
Old Dec 10, 2013, 7:46 am

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist
I am in a similar situation, transatlantic segments are in business on AF and the intra-Europe flights in coach. I don't believe my intra-Europe flights have business seats (HOP! Regional), but they do have premium economy. Is there any way to get upgraded to those seats without paying? Does AF do this for SkyTeam elites? Curious if anyone has been able to do something like this before on AF.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.